Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

The BIC Plant and Gardening Thread

Hello BIC friends and fellow gardeners! Whether you have a container on your balcony, some indoor plants, a whole garden, or even if you just happen to visit a botanical garden or see a lovely space or plant in your neighborhood you want to share, this is the place! Please share pics, tips, plans and tricks about all things gardening!  

For many years I had a container balcony garden with mostly flowers and herbs (when travel allowed), and I am now embarking on my first backyard landscaping and gardening journey. 

I am often taking inspiration from the natural world around me and have recently had some spring inspiration for the Makeup Challenge of the Week and have loved chatting about gardening in our other threads, so I thought a new thread would be nice. 

It’s always so interesting to me to see plants and gardens from different regions and countries, so I hope you’ll join the conversation!  

PS: if you create a makeup look based on some plant or garden inspiration, please feel free to post your look or flat-lay here, too! 

Here are a few pics of my spring bulbs to start and I’ll share more soon (kindly ignore the weeds)! 

IMG_4017.jpeg

IMG_4387.jpeg

My old balcony (from the outside) - I’ll try to find an internal pic too:

IMG_3831.jpeg

Re: The BIC Plant and Gardening Thread

Ooooo!  I love irises, @sister13 !  I can't wait to see them in bloom!  I planted bearded irises at my apartment that were from my mom's.

Thanks! My mom had a lot of them around her property, I’ll be interested to see the colors when they bloom (although I know the Siberian iris are a deep purple/blue.) I’ll keep everyone posted! @Titian06 

Ouhhh fun thread!!  I’ve been doing some pot veggie gardening.  

IMG_8633.jpeg

 My cauliflower is ready to transplant to bigger pots 

IMG_8634.jpeg

 Cucumbers are sprouting 

IMG_8635.jpeg

 some thyme

IMG_8639.jpeg

 green onion, Garlic chives, peas basil and sage 

IMG_8640.jpeg

 radishes, tomatoes and some sad looking dill 

IMG_8641.jpeg

 baby zucchini sprouts 

IMG_8642.jpeg

 more tomatoes and some carrots 

IMG_8643.jpeg

 spinach and lettuce 

IMG_8644.jpeg

 some strawberries  I only see three so far. 

IMG_8645.jpeg

 and some peppers 

I’ve taken over a large portion of our back deck.  I also have potatoes and turnips growing as well as a ton of mint along the side of the house.  The plan is to get more salads this year.  Last years two salads were great but I wanted more after all the work.  

Wow, they look so fresh @heartsmyface !!!!

Oh wow Hearts! Amazing job on your planters! I am doing herbs and tomatoes and flowers in ground this year at the new house, with mint in containers! I am so impressed and can’t wait to see your salads! @heartsmyface 

@sister13  how are the tomatoes doing in the ground?  we have box gardens going down the sides of the house but can’t plant anything that will attract deer or bears.  I do t want us getting fines.  The mint deters rodents which are attracted to the apple tree.  Plus it’s great for mojitos!  It’s contained in tiered boxes going down the stairs on the side of the house.  If it weren’t it would take over the yard.  
ha I keep joking I’m going to escalate and get a green house for next year.  I may actually be serious cause it would clear up a lot of deck space 

Well, I just planted the tomatoes a few days ago, so far so good, lol! We'll see how it goes and I'll keep you posted. We don't have deer close by and not too many rodents, though we're seeing more lately. I'm going to put some marigolds around them and trying some chives (if they sprout). I got some strawberries too, inspired by @JoSometimes - so we'll see how those do, I was trying to decide whether to do those in ground or in a container. @heartsmyface  

@sister13Strawberries aren’t fussy. When I was a kid, my parents let them grow in ground. Right now, I have them in a planter box. If you want a lot of yield in the future, ground works best. They’ll produce runners and replicate themselves and you’ll have plenty of strawberries in a year or two. They’re pretty easy to maintain though if you don’t want them over-running and competing with anything else in your yard. Just snip the runners off when you see them, usually a few weeks after they finish fruiting. Or put some small pots of soil under the runners and let them them take root in the pot. You’ll have a bunch of baby strawberry plants to give away to friends and family!

@JoSometimes  Thanks.  I just covered a runner to help it along but won’t ever be able to grow a larger crop without maybe tiered planters. I can’t plant in the ground cause we have anti bear attractant bylaws here.   Everything has to be where they can’t access. 

@heartsmyface As much as I love bears, that’s pretty intense to have laws for them. 

@JoSometimes  We love the bears too!  They make me happy everytime I see them.  I almost walked into one ha, three times now.  They’re so quiet.  I almost walked into a buck too so it’s really a me issue😂

If they get fed they get killed and we become social pariahs.  We’re quite literally on the rainforest belt so there are a lot of bylaws to protect the wildlife.  Thé mentality here is that we live in their space and don’t want to do anything to endanger them.  A fed bear is a dead bear. We can’t put our garbage out before 5am on garbage day for example.  We can’t let apples from the tree fall on the ground.  No planting bear attractants.  Garbage bins have to be rinsed out after garbage day and locked away.  If someone’s bin gets pillaged by a bear they get a fine.  

@heartsmyface That’s actually amazing that the people there have that mentality and do what they can to keep them wild. 

Aha, thanks for the info!! @JoSometimes 

Impressive, @heartsmyface ! 😘  Your garden is awesome!

That is amazing @heartsmyface! I love gardening more when I know I can eat it at the end. I hope you get a lot of yield this year! 

Also, what variety of strawberries do you have? Are they June-bearing or everbearing?

@JoSometimes  Thanks!  I agrée!   Ha i have sprouts coming up for my second harvest of lettuce and tomatoes today!  I made sure it would be a continuous supply.  

@heartsmyface round 2 already? You’ve been keeping busy!

WOOOOOW!!! That’s amazing @heartsmyface ! So many vegetables and herbs!! 😃😃😃 I am so jealous!!!! There is nothing better than going out and harvesting your own stuff. 😋 Keep us posted! 

@Saradestin  Thanks:). I’ve been walking outside to gather together mini salads all week:). In a couple months they’d be brighter salads but I agree it’s just such an awesome feeling!

My hydrangea is already gifting me the first flowers!! 🩵💜🩷 so beautiful!!!!! 

IMG_8994.jpeg

IMG_8995.jpeg

These below grew from clippings from the one up here. They bloomed the first year, which I found quite amazing, but they are not happy this year (or not yet) because I don’t see anything. The plant is healthy though. 

IMG_8996.jpeg

Omg SO CUTE @Saradestin ! THIS PURPLE IS EVERYTHING 💜 

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos272
  • IMG_4017.jpeg
  • IMG_4387.jpeg
  • IMG_3831.jpeg
  • IMG_3145.jpeg
  • IMG_3959.jpeg
  • IMG_3997.jpeg