Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Pets

I was just wondering if anyone had any adorable pets that the would like to share about! I have a almost 14 year old cocker spaniel. He is adorable!!! He has pretty much taken over the house with places he likes to sleep in. He has many pet beds and rugs since he has a little arthritis and we want him to be comfortable at all times and not straining himself since we have tile floors. His name is Huckleberry and he is practically part of the family! 😄 

Re: Pets

I have two cats: One named Sir Duke because he is a tuxedo and looks so fancy-- I taught him how to sit-- no, really!

And one named Sachamo-- he's a brown and black tiger. My husband named them after jazz greats Duke Ellington and I actually can't remember who Sachamo is!!!! My bad! We really call them Momo and Dukie, because the other names would be a mouthful. They think their dogs because they come when called and play fetch!!!!

Tags:
Anonymous Insider

I told you all about my pets, but I wanted to tell you about my mother and her dog.  She loves her dog so much that she treats him better than most people get treated, ha ha.  He is a 6-year-old basset hound and beagle mix, but looks mostly like a basset hound except that his ears are not as long as a regular basset's.  He is very fat and lazy, but cute as a button.  He sleeps with his head on his own pillow and my mom makes sure that he is covered up to his neck with his blanket whenever he lays down.  She checks on him repeatedly while he is sleeping to make sure that he doesn't come uncovered.  He sleeps on an electric blanket in the wintertime. When it's extra hot outside, mom hooks up a fan to blow on him (even though the heat pump is running) because she doesn't want him to get overheated.  The first time she hooked up the fan, he didn't move from his spot for 4 hours, ha ha.  Mom changes his water at least 6 times a day to make sure that he always has cold water and because she says that dust gets in it sitting on the floor and "who wants to drink dusty water?"  What really makes the whole thing so funny and sweet is that my mom has always been a cat-loving person and has never wanted a dog in her entire life.  Now that she's in her 70s she has her first dog and has become a true dog-loving person.

🙂

I can see everyone really loves their pets!!! 😄 

Anonymous Insider

I love reading everyone's posts about their furry family members!  I love knowing there are so many other animal lovers out there like me. 

🙂

Anonymous Insider

I agree with tenngal.  It's so nice to know there are more people out in the world who see animals as family members.

I never saw myself as someone who would ever own a little dog, let alone dogs.  Everyone I knew with a smaller dog was very ill behaved, barked to infinity, and snapped at anything other than their owner.  My brother and a friend of mine from high school were the inspiration that properly socialized and behaved smaller dogs are actually quite pleasant to have around. 

We both made sure that we made plenty of opportunities for socialization.  It was one of the first questions I asked the vet on the first examination as well.  We took her to dog friendly areas of town and people were very understanding and patient of our purpose.  Some kids even volunteered to help.  The work paid off in the long run.  I like that we do not have to "put away the dog" when visitors come over.

Although I might have to ask my vet about Argan Oil (not to use on the dog) since I've been getting kisses on both my arms and legs where I used it.  XD

Had various cats growing up but I might be turning into a dog person. 

We have a German Shepherd named Ariel.  We got her from a local dog training company that trains police dogs in our area when she got the boot for having a bad knee.  She actually has tatooted letters and numbers in her ear. 

My husband and I both grew up with cats as well as dogs and would love to have a least 1 cat.  When we went to the Humane Society to adopt a cat several years ago my oldest daughter (then 2), broke out in hives in the visitation room.  Needless to say we left without a cat.

Anonymous Insider

I have quite a few!

I have two dogs- one is a black lab named Jilly. She is very sweet, loves people, and is scared of thunder. The other is a Carrien Terrier named Bucky. He is the bossy one, but still very affectionate and loving 😄

I have two cats- One is a calico kitty named Caily. She is older than I am, 18 years old!! How old is that in human years? LOL. She is still very active and healthy, and lays with me on my bed every night 🙂 The other is named Max, he is a black cat. He is the outdoor cat, and is also atleast as old as I am (13.) He used to hate people but has grown to enjoy being pet and snuggled with 😄

I ALSO have 2 rabbits- these are my pets, as opposed to "family" pets. One is named Gabe- he is an adopted Netherland Dwarf and about 2 years old. He only weighs three pounds, and is full grown! The other is named Guinevere. She is a one year old mini lop, and is white with black spots. Gabe was fixed by the girl who ran the adoption center, so we bonded him and Guinny. Now they are always right next to each other, eating hay, licking each other's forehead, and doing other cute stuff 🙂

Sooo yeahh...I love pets
😄

Anonymous Insider

Love to hear about everyones furbabies!  We have a houseful but I wouldn't have it any other way.  We have a beta fish named Jack (my daughter's doing) he sits on the counter right by the sink and comes right up to see me when I'm there.  He has quite a personality and loves to swim around all his plants and things.  

We have 3 cats:  Romeo 14yr old that I have had since we rescued his mom and she had him.  Mac 10 yr old big black cat(he was on "clearance" at a pet shop in horrible condition)  that lets my daughter do anything to him she wants, and last Marley a 2 yr old tabby that fetches and everything.  🙂  We have a few dogs as well, Shorty 11, Kara 9, Kane 12 are all rescues and we have had them for at least the last 8 yrs.  All the others are Collies: Tease 10 yr and Cartman 8yr are retired showdogs and enjoying the couch life now,  Lyra 5yr and Sookie 4yr are current showdogs.  I just love all the comotion they bring to everyday life and they keep my daughter very busy!!  

Anonymous Insider

🙂 i have a 3 year old bichon frise that we rescued (Her name is Nube. Which means cloud in spanish. Pronounced noo be NOT NOOB)and a 14 week old Yorkshire Terrier (Petunia):D! AHH the cuteness level is really intense. 

I also have 3 parakeets 🙂 Picaso, Venus, Tweety. My little sister picked the names 🙂

Nube likes the sit and sleep like a human and she gets lost in the snow sometimes because shes so white :)! Eventually she'll stick her little nose up and we can find her :).

Petunia is teething so she loves to chew on peoples toes! Its soo funny 🙂 she knows a ton of tricks because her little brain is like a sponge. 

And the birds get mad everytime the piano is being played. They start tweeting really loudly to out sing it. Aren't they silly?

Ahh i love my pets soo much 🙂

Anonymous Insider

I have a 2 year old guinea pig named Arnold I love him so much I got him when I was 12 and I brought home a  bad test to sign and my mom accidentaly put it in his cage and he ate it my teacher was so mad. Smiley Very Happy 

@makeuppiggy: Gee I wish I'd had a guinea pig that would have eaten some of my bad report cards when I was your age!  That story is priceless!

I have a rescued dog, he came to us all matted with a lame leg. We got him orthopedic surgery and now he can run like the wind (when he chooses to, he is very lazy)!  He greets us each morning with a big "YOW!" and a smile, he a giant size dog and very silly. I would love to get another dog to keep him company but he doesn't get along with other dogs very well.

I'm definitely more of a dog person than a cat person.  I'm allergic to cats.  😛  I have a 5 yr old female lab, and her name is Bailey.  🙂

BaileySnow.png

@serendipity01 I am allergic to cats too!! I still think they are adorable, but I am soooo allergic to them, along with hamsters. gerbil, mice, ferrets, birds, and dogs (yes I know I have one, but we keep his fur very short- which he appreciates in the summer!- and I have had him since I was young so I have become accustom to his dander and whatnot). I LOVE animals which is why it is sad I am allergic to them, but I can still admire from afar. 🙂 I'm not allergic to fish or sea monkeys 😉  

Anonymous Insider

@serendipity01:  That's such a great photo and Bailey is beautiful!  🙂

Anonymous Insider

@serendipity01  Bailey is beautiful!!  Thanks for sharing a picture!  I bet she is a sweetheart

Thanks kimmi1115 and tenngal! 

@serendipity: Cute dog!! I love lab! I used to have one, but she died a few years ago. I can't wait to have another one!

I love animals! I recently got a horse! It's a Standardbred mare and she is gorgeous!! She wasn't very good for the races, so I got her for almost nothing! She's not ready for a huge trail ride, b/c my friends and I are just starting to put a saddle on her, but so far, so good!

I always had a cat. I got my 1st cat at 2. Her name was Pomme, which is Apple in French, because it was one of the few words I could say correctly at that time!!! I had her for 20 years.

Since then, I wasn't very lucky with my cats! When Pomme died, I got the cutest little black cat. He was 3 months old when I got him, but he never grew up. He died at 6 months, and he was the same size!! Needless to say that he was very sick. Then I had another one who died of a heart attack at the age of 3 (I got him from my friend at the age of one b/c of boyfriend was beating him up pretty bad. Still can't believe she chose him over her cat! I mean, a guy that beat a little cat is a complete a..... in my opinion). Then I had the best cat ever, Gilbert. He was tabby and super intelligent. He was like a little dog. He knew how to sit, wait, roll get up on his 2 legs on command. He also loved when I threw him the ball!!! Unfortunately, he got hit by a car. Not my best memory :S.

Since all my little guys died pretty fast, I went back with a female cat. I used to work in a stable, so they were a lot of cats there, and when one gave birth to 5 little kittens, I couldn't make up my mind on which one I wanted, so I ended up with 2! There is Tali (in ancient Greek mythology, she a the muse of comedy). She's not very pretty, but she is so funny: she always answers when I talk to her. And then, there's her sister Fluff. Like her name says, she's a big grey ball of cotton candy!!!

There's just one problem with them, and this is why I'm asking for your help. They're not properly "trained": they can pee on my bed (it happened twice or maybe even 3 times) and I often find "stuff" just outside of the litter. I have 2 litters, I clean them everyday and still, they do me little surprises every now and then. Does anyone experience this before?? I need help!! I never had cats before them that did that.

Wow! I didn't mean for my post to be this long!!! Sorry guys 😛

Anonymous Insider

@ohhenri:  Usually cats don't really have to be "trained"...you just sit them in the litter box and they normally just know what to do.  However, one of my kitties (when she turned about 10 years old) started using the hallway as her litter box.  It was at this time that we added our third kitty to the family so I think the 10 year old didn't like that the litter box was being used more often and wasn't as thoroughly clean as it was before when it was just her and her sister.  Even though my husband and I scoop the litter box every time we walk through the bathroom, which is many times a day, if there was anything in the litter box at all when she went for the box then she'd turn around and use the hall.  I tried cleaning the spots in the hall with pet cleaners so the smell wouldn't draw her back to the spots and encourage her to keep using the hallway, but nothing worked if she walked into the bathroom and one of the other two had been there before her.  This went on for 5 years until her sister died at the age of 15 and now it's just her and the younger one.  Now the box is not used as often, plus she has started a ritual of walking to the bathroom door and meowing this certain high-pitched meow to tell me if there is something in the box that needs to be gotten out so she can do her business, ha ha.  It is really comical because I come when she meows and she sits in the doorway and waits for me to scoop and as I leave the bathroom, she walks over to her box so she can have her privacy in her cleaned box.  She has not used the hallway since.  Between the box being used less and her new way of saying "Hey Mom, clean my box!", she uses the litter box all the time now.  I know this story didn't really fit your situation, but I wanted to let you know that it is probably just a phase.  If I were you, I would not allow them on your bed until they start using the litter boxes like they're supposed to.  All you can do is scoop their boxes whenever you walk past them to make sure they are kept as clean as possible in case they are like my kitty and are very sanitary and clean little kitties who don't want to go if there is something in the box already, ha ha.  Hopefully since they are kittens they will grow out of this phase and will start using the litter box all the time as they should.  Another thing you may want to try (if you haven't already) is to buy a different type of cat litter and see if maybe there's something about the type of litter you're using that they don't like.  I use Fresh Step Scoopable Cat Litter and that's the only kind that my extra finicky kitty will use. 

I loved hearing about your pets and I hope your litter box problem will go away soon.  🙂

Anonymous Insider

I am a major animal lover!  At one time I had several fish (both inside in a tank and outdoors in my pond), a hamster, a rabbit, 3 cats, 2 big dogs, a turtle and a couple of hermit crabs.  Now that my daughter has grown up and moved out with a family of her own, my pet family has dwindled down as my pets have died of old age.  My rabbit lived to be 8 years old, which the vet said was incredible for an outdoor rabbit.  Of course, my daughter's hamster, hermit crabs and my indoor fish have died, too.  My gold fish did live to be about 5 years old, which I felt lucky to have had him that long.  My daughter still has her turtle, by the way, at her house.  I lost one of my dear cats at the age of 15 earlier this year, but I still have her litter mate who is now 16 and I have a 6 year old cat, too.  Both are strickly indoor cats and spoiled rotten, ha ha.  My two dogs are old now.  One is a golden retriever mix and she will be 14 next month.  My black lab (who we rescued from a shelter after my golden retriever's litter mate died at the age of about 5) is now 13 and will soon be 14, too.  I love my pets so much!  They are part of my family and are treated as such.  It is sad watching them get old, however.  But I will love and enjoy the heck out of them for as long as they live!  Oh, by the way, I still have fish outside in my pond.  They just keep multiplying, ha ha.
🙂

My avitar is my Dad's puppy Marvin, he's about 6 month old golden retriver.  He's so cute and sweet he always has to be touching you, he'll nap at your feet.  We got him to heal our hearts after our cocker spaniel we had for 15 years passed away, Cinnamon he was a warm biege color and had a brown and blue eye I miss him a lot.  We also have Wiggles he is 7 and a mutt we saved from a freezing barn, he looks like a border collie mixed with a corgi, he's very short and has long fur colored like a border collie.  He's a major cuddler he will snuggle your neck in the morning and his name is Wiggles because when anyone comes over or home he wiggles so much and grunts it's very cute.   We also have a cat named Pooka or Spooky she comes to booth, she's a calico mostly dark colored, very pretty face and very fat.  She is actually my sisters, she's vet as of May.  My boyfriend has a German Shorthair,T-Rex, he's 12 and very active he's right here begging my bf to pet and play with him.  He loves to be rough housed he's all gray in the face but a puppy at heart.  He's a retired duck hunter but still gets so amped up if my bf grabs a gun and leaves without him. 

Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • BaileySnow.png
  • Sally.jpg
  • Jewel.jpg
  • Brutus.jpg
  • Doobie.jpg
  • Foxy.jpg
  • jasmine1.jpg
  • n500127447_2285235_395558.jpg
  • n500127447_2372667_2080423.jpg
  • showkey1