Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Monthly Misses: May 2023

Did you have more beauty misses than hits this month?  If so, this is the place to tell all the BICers about it.  It could be a tried and true product with a change in formulation.  Or, it could be something new that you tried out during the sale that just didn't work for you.  Whatever it is, this is the place to post about it.

w1900_q65.jpeg

Re: Monthly Misses: May 2023

@Loretta55 I'm always afraid plumping glosses will burn my lips...how does this one feel?  

Thanks for thinking of my, btw!!!  ❤️ 

I know that it doesn’t bother me @greeneyedgirl107, but I have read that other people with sensitive lips have complained. 

@Loretta55 there's only one way to tell!  

Maybe you can tell if it will bother you when you swatch it in store @greeneyedgirl107.

@Loretta55 yes.  I tried on something recently and didn't realize it was plumping.  I could tell immediately - ouch!  Idk if I'm sensitive or what.

@CattyT3   I've tried the Benefit Cosmetics Benetint Liquid Lip Blush & Cheek Tint  in original and I love it as a super-natural looking blush (plus the beautiful rose fragrance). But as a lip stain, I found that even when I thought my lips were moisturized, the stain showed every tiny bit of dead skin, and the stain didn't last long, either. I would drink coffee and discover that my stain was now all patchy and half-gone. I thought the point of a stain was to have some staying power.

Oh that' a shame, if it was equally good on the lips as on the cheeks I was eyeing this up as an all in one product.
Thanks for the information on that.

I agree about the RB lip oils @WinglessOne . It took a couple of weeks until my lips healed. I also tried wearing lip balm under them but unfortunately it didn’t help. Hopefully they will reformulate the lip oils because I really like the colors that I tried.

Any tips how to make the Glossier Cloud Paint work. Anytime I squeeze the tube I get a massive amount and I find it hard to remove.

The only miss for me is Grande Cosmetics GrandeLASH™ Peptide Lash Enhancing Serum 0.10 oz/ 3 mL .  It just didn't work for me.  I have tried of number of serum without any luck.

What a bummer that it didn't work out, @CorgiMommy!  

I'm way too scared to try out the mini sample size I got from ULTA eventhough I'd love to encourage my eyelashes to grow longer 🙈

I was curious about using the lash serum by the Ordinary but see very mixed reviews about it. Have you tried that one?

@CattyT3 no I have not tried that one

How long have you used the lash serum @CorgiMommy? You need to use it consistently for at least four to six months to see results. I use their brow serum and I am very pleased with the results . Like our generation I over tweezed my eyebrows. My hair stylist noticed the results quicker than me.

@Loretta55  I am going on my fourth month

@CorgiMommy, yeah that's more than enough time to make a declaration on it.

@CattyT3 I haven't looked at the reviews, but I like the ordinary's serum. It didn't do much for my brows, I suspect because those follicles are just permanently damaged from threading.  BUT, my lashes were nice and lengthy.  I was using it 1x a day for about a month and noticed the difference.

Ooh that's promising actually. I'll put that in my wish list to try out then since I do trust the Ordinary to have less risky formulas to try out.

And actually I didn't know threading did permanent damage to hair growth - I narrowly avoided reluctantly agreeing to thread my eyebrows when I was barely 12 since it's seen as a given in my culture for girls to want to thread their brows. Glad I did not cave because the threading salon people claimed that threading had no impact on the hair growth itself!
Castor oil - not sure if it needs to be Jamaican specifically since it's also a very prized oil in my South Asian culture - I've seen that has become popular with the social media girlies now for hair growth (like many oiling traditions from my heritage), if you haven't tried that for brows.

Now that masks have been lifted at my workplace after 3+ years, I've been trying to re-enter society.  I tried two NYX Butter Glosses.  I've always found them rather sheer, but thought I'd give them a go.  One was Marshmallow that was rather purple leaning (I know, the tube is purple but I didn't think it'd read *that* purple on my lips).  I guess it didn't matter, b/c the pigment didn't last long at all.  Another was Strawberry Cheesecake which must have been the outlier in the line b/c it was bright, pigmented and let a stain on my lips.  Pretty, but not what I was looking for.  It'll go to my sister.  Two more were from the Milky Gloss line, Ube Milkshake which didn't have enough pigment for me and faded quickly.  The other was Lilac Splash which was rather similar to Marshmallow.  I could have in theory kept all of the shades, but I'm trying not to spend money on things I don't really love.

I also had some missed with cotton balls.  I didn't care for the up & up ones from Target, nor the ones from Ulta.  I've been making due with CVS's one + other in the jumbo although I'd like to try the regular.  I also didn't care for Ulta's Premium Pillow Cotton Pads, but I didn't want to waste them.  I've been using them here and there to remove excess Farmacy Clearly Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mL before rinsing and then doing my second cleanse.  I don't like to waste like that, but the alternative was returning them and then them going to waste altogether.

I returned Maybelline Great Lash b/c I couldn't get the classic brush to work even after all these years, and couldn't fit the Maybelline Full 'N Soft brush in it.  I should have compared more closely.  I'm going to try to work with the Full 'N Soft.  Ever notice how you kind of have to "break in" a mascara several times before getting a good feel for it?

First Aid Beauty Hydrating Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.7 oz / 50 mL was a big miss for me.  I used the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Hydrating Serum for years, and I think I just finished my third bottle at least.  The latter went through one or two re-formulations, but I hung with it b/c I liked the hydrating aspect as well as the antioxidants (under-hyped) that were in an airtight bottle.  The former doesn't feel light at all, and the squalane just sits on top of my skin.  I was fortunate to find a unicorn online, and three at TJ Maxx (I bought two).  IDK what I'll do in years to come.

I guess that's about all I can think of for now.  Now that I'm finally able to get back into makeup again, I think I'll be having more misses...unfortunately!

@greeneyedgirl107 I'm not a fan of the Butter glosses either and I feel like they're such an OG product!

@CookieGirl1 I think I get drawn in by the beauty of the shades range on the store shelf 

Honestly I'm not surprised that the NYX butter glosses fell short - its talked about non stop I feel like it's put on a pedestal that anything short of perfect would have been a disappointment anyway.

I only picked up the clear one but I'll keep a closer eye when I try it out on the lasting power compared to a couple of glosses I do like by Too Faced and (before I had to andon them sue to allergic reactions) and Juvia's Place.

And I very much agree with you about the First Aid Beauty serum - I actually forgot I had a couple of samples of it that I used up that's how unremarkable it was for my skin. My skin doesn't seem to agree with any formulas other than the Arnica rescue mask no longer sold at Sephora and the intensive hydration cream.

Hopefully you will find a true love in the future @greeneyedgirl107. I mentioned in the hauls thread that I attempted to swatch RB gloss in nearly mauve but unfortunately it doesn’t swatch well. I wore it to work on Friday and I felt like it had decent pigment. Her lip glosses are really pretty. I have all five colors and I feel like they are everything I want in a lip gloss. I will attempt to swatch PMG Divine Rose lip gloss which is another favorite. I also like the scent of the PMG glosses.

Conversation Stats
  • 63 replies
  • 277 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos3
  • w1900_q65.jpeg
  • IMG_8821.jpeg
  • IMG_8822.jpeg
testing