Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Bath & Body
|

Best Product for Bra Chaffing

I have these red rub marks on my skin all along where my underwire on my bra sits. I'd rather not go to bras with no wire, that just never feels like enough support. The chaffing get's so bad some times that it's a little painful.

I've tried lotion from bath and body works. I've tried oil-free unscented moisturizer from dollar general. I've also tried target brand up&up oil-free unscented moisturizer.

All of them give relief from the pain but chaffing/redness is still there year-round. 

Anonymous Insider

Def go get fitted for the correct size. I love Aerie for...

Def go get fitted for the correct size. I love Aerie for bras and panties and they usually have amazing sales, last time I went I got 3 bras for $60. they are comfortable for all day wear and don't break down like some cheap bras can.

Re: Best Product for Bra Chaffing

I used to have this problem. I was wearing the wrong size bra. The Body by Victoria bras are made of a super soft fabric and don't cause chafing. Body glide anti chaf balm works when I use a different brand of bra.

RE: Best Product for Bra Chaffing

No expert here, however I agree that you should go to a lingerie store and get a bra properly fitted for you. I'm a 52-year-old woman and have had that problem in the past...the bra was adorable and I didn't care how it fit! Hope we all help!

Try this:

https://www.sephora.com/product/no-sweat-body-defense-P397375?skuId=1710169&icid2=products%20grid:p3...

It's meant to prevent chafing and sweat on the body. I use it in the dead of summer for outdoor activities and it works pretty well. Stick it anywhere you sweat or anywhere you experience rubbing/chafing. 

I have this problem pretty constantly also due to the size.

TBH, I use deodorant - just plain stick deodorant and put it underneath my boobs where the bra would sit and I don't have any issues with chaffing anymore.

I would try going to a quality lingerie store and getting fitted. Yes the bras tend to be pricey but it is so worth it. I finally gave in and did this and it has made a huge difference for me. No more sore spots from bad fitting underwire bras!

@JEM47203 Have you tried good ole Vaseline??  Bodyglide is a ritzier version (petroleum-based stick) marketed to runners who experience chaffing.  Some other things that have worked is synthetic materials( If your bra is made of cotton, that could be a big culprit because it absorbs moisture) and seems,  (is your bra seamless?).  Finding the right bra is like hitting the jackpot.  Once I find my holy grail, I stock up like there's no tomorrow. :). Good luck 

@JEM47203 I'm not convinced you're wearing the wrong size at all. I'm pretty, um, endowed and have been measured professionally and I have the same problem sometimes. Monistat makes an anti-chafing (made for chafing - not necessarily for the nether regions!) that you can get in a drug store. You can also buy anti-chafing stick or gel from a sporting goods store made for runner's thighs when they chafe. I've tried both and prefer the Monistat. 

I'll definitely have to give it a try. It could be that I have a combination of issues working against me. 

@JEM47203 is it possible that you are wearing the wrong size or an old bra? TBH it sounds like your bra band is too tight or you are wearing the wrong cup size and your slipping out underneath as no bra should be rubbing against you so much as to cause pain...most bra stores will do a sizing for free in know Victoria secret does. 

In the mean time simple deodorant often helps with chaffing especially in the hot weather! 

@JEM47203 

Regarding bra sizing. This is very tricky. Neither cup nor band are standardized across brands. Even within the same brand, the same cup size can be slightly different if the band size is different. Other factors will affect fit like the width of the gore.

If you have a large cup size, it might be best to seek out brands that specialize because you simply cannot use the same pattern for a smaller cup and enlarge it. The extra weight/volume requires different mechanics to provide support/lift - this is why a lot of brands will not go beyond a certain size and why specialty brands are very expensive, definitely more $ than VS.

I would recommend checking out The Lingerie Addict's blog for reviews of bras of different sizes. It features reviewers who have very large cups.

Hope this helps you to find bras that don't chafe!!

@JEM47203 I agree with @Kim888. It's very likely your bra is the wrong size. Also, it may be a style that just doesn't sit well on your rib cage. (And your underwire should be sitting on your rib cage, not on the breast tissue) I would try getting a fitting at a specialty store that carries different brands, not just a branded store. You're more likely to find a more accurate fit. My favourite brands for comfortable bras for larger cup sizes are Primadonna, Rosa Faia, and Anita. 

That's a good question. I was fitted at VS but that was five years ago. It might be time to get checked out.

This may be a dumb follow up question, but do you know if they will be honest with me if I'm outside of their product range? I'm already at their largest cup size so if I needed a bigger one, I want them to tell me. They can still count on me for lip gloss and perfume purchases. 

I think that will depend on the knowledge of their "Bra consultants" and the store. Sadly, VS still follows a very outdated method of bra sizing. 

True story: After years of wearing the wrong size (I've worn 36B, 36A, 34B, 34C - thanks to the horribly wrong "traditional" bra sizing methods, as well as 34D, 34DD, 32DD and 32DDD through trial and error) and I was sized as a 36C by VS's bra consultant. She had the nerve to tell me that with one boob half hanging out, and the strap and band sliding around was a good fit. Ha! At the time I already knew I was a 32DDD/DDDD from updated methods and confirmed by better consultants at Nordstrom; I was just curious to see what VS would say. Needless to say, that was one of the last times I've been in a VS. I now buy my bras from Nordstrom and my favourite brands are Natori and Wacoal - more expensive than VS but better quality, fit and size range.

Like others I really think you are wearing the wrong size. A good fitting bra should not be moving around and chafing your skin. I'd bet that you're wearing a band too loose and cups too small. I wear my bras for 12-16 hours a day and while I have the odd bra that leaves a slight red mark or irritation from the stitches, they're rarely uncomfortable. 

One way to tell if you're probably wearing the wrong bra size: to get your size did you have to add 5" to your rib cage to get your band size? E.g., if your rib cage under your breasts are 29",  does the method tell you to add 5" so your band is 34"?

@JEM47203

Actually @k617 I'm thinking it has less to do with the size and more to do with the quality of the bra. Bras that are machine washed can get very rough in the material that covers underwires. The ones I'm wearing now have an entire flap of soft fabric that covers them - much more comfortable. 

Maybe @JEM47203  it is time to get resized (and a LOT of women wear the wrong sized bra) but perhaps invest in one that is well-constructed as well. It sucks I know. I pay $46 for my current style but it does make me look better and feel better too

@jozkid @JEM47203 @k617

If you want Nordstrom quality bras but not Nordstrom quality prices, consider checking out Nordstrom Rack. In my experience, their lingerie section isn't the best organized,* but the ≥ $100 bras that you'd see at Nordstrom can be found there for, like, $15.

* 32Gs mixed in with 30DDs, so you do have to search.

I LOVE The Rack! It's a bit of drive to the closest one through some nerve-wracking traffic but I brave it a few times a year to get to the closest Lush for the cupcake face mask (among other fun stores). 

Once I am more sure of my size, I'll have to make a trip. 

@ibblej thanks! If only we had Nordstrom Rack in Canada!

@k617 Check the Nordstrom webpage for upcoming store openings in Canada.  I believe some of the slated openings involve the Rack.  Check for a location nearest you.  If there isn't one, call and they might be able to ship nationwide for free.  Another option is Saks (owned by Hudsons bay) so shipping is always free and duty-free - no minimum.

Thanks! Looks like there is one opening next spring. My experience is we never get the same deals the US does. We have a Saks Off 5th in my city but have never found anything worth purchasing. Very good to know, though. @blushnglow

29 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing