Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

what to do about my acne?

DCF1D9ED-C99B-4BBC-B3CD-DE9E77FA12D4.jpeghi, i have a lot of acne, scarring, and dark undereyes so i was hoping someone could give me some advice as to what i should do and what products to use.

i am currently using

esfolio milk cleanser

AM

The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Oil Control Serum  

neutrogena on the spot treatment

The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA 

Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Firming Oil 1.01 oz / 30 mL 

i need a new spf/sunscreen

PM

The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz / 30 ml 

The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA 

and occasionally 

Peace Out Blemish Balm Cleanser 3.6 oz/ 105 mL 

Peace Out Salicylic Acid Treatment Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

Peace Out Salicylic Acid Acne Healing Dots 

and i’d like to try Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment  

thank you!

Re: what to do about my acne?

@jdhdhdh  different people's acne responds to different things. As far as OTC solutions, a sulfur acne product might be the way to go if that's something you haven't tried. I know that can do wonders, though it didn't do much for me. Me personally, I have hormonal cystic acne, it comes in when I'm stressed or frustrated for long periods and no product has ever put more than a dent in it. Outside life management, that's work for a professional. Overall your skincare lineup looks good to me, I hope  you catch a break soon!

Double cleansing has also saved my skin, my favorite one is from Wishtrend the "Gentle Black Fresh Cleansing Oil" because it's the one for oily skin (they have one for dry skin if that's the one you have). I think finding one calming or hydrating part of your skincare would be the most beneficial. The Ordinary and The Inkey List have good ingredients separately but finding a good formula that combines them would be better I think. KRAVE BEAUTY 'Great Barrier Relief' has Niacinamide and is meant to give your skin barrier a break in case it has been compromised. I would try backing away from more than one active product and if your skin is sensitive to fragrance, instead of the #SUNDAY RILEY Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment I'd recommend Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant 4 oz/ 118 mL. For me hydrating my skin and calming it down with Honey Face Masks have helped a lot. For reference, I have oily combo skin (dry in the winter around my nose and mouth), hyperpigmentation w/ texture, large pores, and dormant acne that wakes up sometimes lol. Also wow your pores are tiny and you have beautiful skin.

As for under eyes, half of my family have pretty dark under eyes so most of the time the color can be genetic, I also don't use specific eye creams because they are not necessary if you find a good quality moisturizer. However, dullness can be combated with vitamins B and C (together they are magic). 

Gentle Black Oil Cleanser by Dear KlairsGentle Black Oil Cleanser by Dear KlairsGentle Cleanser by FarmacyGentle Cleanser by FarmacyHoney Mask by I'm FromHoney Mask by I'm FromBHA Exfoliant by Paula's ChoiceBHA Exfoliant by Paula's ChoiceGreat Barrier Relief by KraveGreat Barrier Relief by KraveCalming Cream by Dear KlairsCalming Cream by Dear KlairsKlairs SunscreenKlairs Sunscreen

Out of all of these Great Barrier Relief is my favorite. It has a light texture and an earthy hemp kind of smell. I like using it during the day since it's light and the Dear Klairs Midnight Calming Cream at night cuz she thicc. 

Normally the Klairs Sunscreen would be my favorite by there's a problem with labs lying about the amount of SPF

Paula's choice works best if you have some kind of absorbent cleansing pads that u can leave it on for about a minute like a mask.

The Honey mask just hydrates like crazy but u can use it for 1 hour so it's fun

The Farmacy Gentle Cleanser smells sweet with no fragrance and compared to the Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser it's more gentle. 

Finally, the Oil Cleanser's first ingredient is Linoleic filled with Sunflower Seed Oil as the first ingredient and I like it better than the Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 

Acne is a skin condition, it is often not treated like other skin conditions in that people don't seek out professional treatment for it when they should. Topical products often can't treat acne alone, especially if you have cystic acne that starts well below the skin surface. I highly recommend going to a dermatologist or a doctor before trying expensive over the counter products like that sunday riley one. Acne can easily be treated with medication and save you a lot of money in trying all these products that likely won't work. You are already using products with ingredients to treat acne like salicylic acid so it's possible the concentration in these over the counter products aren't high enough to work for you. Same for the scarring, products like retin-A from a prescription are extremely effective and are medical grade so you won't find a concentration of retinol in over the counter products. This is all coming from personal experience. 

Another thing to note is that products work differently for each person depending on a variety of factors, they also take at least 3 months to see how they really work for you. I'd recommend avoiding drying forms of alcohol (not all alcohols are bad) and fragrance (unnecessary, has no benefits for the skin, and can cause irritation). The fragrance in your cleanser or rose oil could potentially be bothering your skin. 

It’s to suggest which product would work as skincare is different from person to person. I have been dealing with acne too, what i do know for me is to avoid using products from start to finish specially for acne cause it will be over drying. 

This what seems to work for me now.

PM routine : Double cleanse, oil cleanse + any gentle cleanser, Paula’s choice Azelaic acid and follow with moisturizer, i am currently using the Biossance cream as i tend to dry out through out the night, hence i use a heavier moisturizer. 

AM: I don’t cleanse as it would be to drying for me. I just put on hydrating toner, vit C serum for my post acne scars, i use Banana bring from Ole Henriksen. but because it is very strong I’ve only use it max twice a week. Then follow with my first aid beauty moisturizer (a lighter moisturizer for day time) and sunscreen from La Roche Posay. 

Once a week i use mask from Omorovicza, the Silver skin saviour mask.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos8
  • DCF1D9ED-C99B-4BBC-B3CD-DE9E77FA12D4.jpeg
  • Gentle Black Oil Cleanser by Dear Klairs
  • Gentle Cleanser by Farmacy
  • Honey Mask by I'm From
  • BHA Exfoliant by Paula's Choice
  • Great Barrier Relief by Krave
  • Calming Cream by Dear Klairs