Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

What works for you?

Best toner and moisturizer suggestions? Struggling to find products that work without irritating my skin or making it more oily causing more breakouts.

Re: What works for you?

Hey! For moisturizer, I too use neutrogena hydro boost water gel. There is also a hydro boost gel with SPF in a squeezable tube that I use for daytime as moisturizer and SPF. 

For toner, I love The Ordinary Glycolic Acid toner. It should only be used once a day at night...some say every other night...but once I got use to it, if I’m flakey in the morning, I’ll use a little. It may sting upon application, but it has not dried me out. 

I just started using straight hyaluronic acid after cleansing and toning to help absorb everything else better. 

i have been using these 2 for so long, and they always top any other product i try. for daytime, i use the neutrogena hydro boost (they sell it at costco, amazon, etc) & for night time i use the ordinary squalane oil. the moisturizer is not drying, but does not make the skin oily and sets into skin so quick! it also has HA in it which i love. the squalane oil is not thick at all, is super lightweight, sinks into the skin quick, and is so good for pores. (when ordering it, make sure you get the 100% plant derived one, not the retinol one) hope this helps!

E.l.f. Hello Hydration cream.

I have Combo skin more toward oily (in certain areas) than dry. 

Im less oily during fall and winter but thats normal.

Elf Hello Hydration is my favorite one so far, better than the high end creams i tried. It doesnt break my out or itch at all.

they also released the "fragrance free" version.

Thanks! I’ll try that moisturizer. I’ve been using their niacinamide cleanser and haven’t seen any extra break outs.  

Hi @Aries331 ! I love SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Hydrator - Hydrate & Glow 1.69oz/ 50mL for my acne prone skin. It has Hyaluronic Acid, which draws moisture from the air to your skin, keeping you hydrated all day! 💧 It's SUCH a great product. Let me know if you have any questions, have a wonderful day 😊

Thanks! I haven’t tried any Sephora brand skincare products yet but now I’ll have to check it out. 

Josie Maran Argan Oil (in Light, not original), and First Aid Beauty Repair Cream.  Toners haven't been that great on my skin.  But, I do like the caudalie beauty elixir to spritz on my face.  I feel it acts like a bit of a toner? 

Thanks! I’ll look into that Aragon oil. I think I’ll have to give caudalie another shot. 

@Aries331 What type of toner are you looking for- hydrating, exfoliating, clarifying, pH balancing? 

As far as moisturizer suggestions, here are a few: Caudalie Mini Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet 0.66 oz/ 20 mL belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb OLEHENRIKSEN Sheer Transformation® Perfecting Moisturizer Kate Somerville Goat Milk Moisturizing Cream 1.7 oz/ 50 mL CosRx Oil-Free Moisturizing Lotion, Benton Snail Bee Steam Cream, Etude House Moistfull Collagen (although this last one recently changed formulas and I haven't had a chance to try the new version yet)

I’ve tried Caudalie Vinoperfect Brightening Glycolic Essence 5 oz/ 150 mL I’ve used CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion 3 for a few years and it’s just not working anymore. 

@quspork thank you for your help and suggestions! I think those should hopefully work for me! 

Ahh ok, as far as Caudalie goes I think the Caudalie Vinopure Natural Salicylic Acid Pore Minimizing Toner 6.7 oz/ 200 mL is a better option for clarifying oily skin. @Aries331 

For toner probably clarifying or ph balance. I have tried a caualie toner previously but I didn’t see the results for the price. But I see they’ve updated the formulas, maybe I’ll try again. A store associate recommended Fenty Skin Fat Water Niacinamide Pore-Refining Toner Serum with Barbados Cherry 5.0 oz/ 150 mL but it just makes my skin so oily. I was trying the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Oil-Control Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL but for whatever reason it made my skin blotchy, red, and itchy. 

thank for your recommendations. I’ll have to check them out. 

@Aries331 Which Caudalie toner was it that didn't work out? I've had good luck with the clarifying/mattifying properties of the fresh Umbrian Clay Purifying Facial Toner 6.7 oz/ 198 mL. For pH balancing after a high pH cleanser, I'd recommend the CosRx AHA/BHA Clarifying Toner (although if your cleanser already has a decent pH, this likely isn't necessary). 

Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing