Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Sunday Riley Good Genes Causing Acne Purge?

I have very oily, acne prone skin. Has anyone else experienced SRGG causing their skin to purge acne? I began using it four days ago because of all the great reviews, but I’ve had so many more breakouts (cysts and whiteheads) since I began. Of course, it may just not agree with my skin...but if it’s more likely a purge, I’ll stick it out! What’s your experience with SRGG been?

RE: Sunday Riley Good Genes Causing Acne Purge?

Your skin will definitely purge if it isn’t used of chemical peels. It’s one of the reasons dermatologists recommend starting off slowly with these types of products to allow your skin to adjust. Personally, while using this product, I can go for like three days and then I have to take a break because it can over exfoliate my skin and leave me a bit more prone to breakouts (because the protective barrier is injured). Take it slow and figure out what works best for your skin.

Re: Sunday Riley Good Genes Causing Acne Purge?

It could be a purge if using an AHA exfoliating product is new to you. If it just a purge vs a negative reaction, your skin should start to clear up fairly quickly. 

@NicDe I remember when I first started using Good Genes I got A TON of breakouts as well. They weren’t deep breakouts or anything, but a bunch of gross breakouts on the surface of my skin, if that makes sense. 😷 I later found out that GG reacted poorly with one of my skincare items (essence). I stopped using all other skincare except moisturizer whenever I would use GG and no longer got breakouts! 

Hello @NicDe! I have been using Sunday Riley's GG for about a year now (maybe longer)  and I can't say I ever experienced a purging phase with it. With stronger products like chemical exfoliants, I would definitely do a patch test first so you can narrow down if it really is that product causing your breakouts.

RE: Sunday Riley Good Genes Causing Acne Purge?

Yes! It made me purge for a week or two. You just have to get through it. I only use its 2-3 days a week.
5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing