Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Skin troubles....still

Hi!

I just had a couple questions about my face... 😛

I use the Erno Laszlo line and understand that it is suppose to be a pretty good brand. But I still am having acne and breakouts, oiliness and blackhead troubles. My skin seems less 'alive' then it use to 2-3 years ago. And I am young (20’s) so that should not be an issue...right?

I wash & exfoliate 2x a day and then double cleanse & exfoliate in the evening before bed. I rarely use a moisturizer due to excessive oiliness. I am not in the sun or wind very much either. Between the oiliness, acne and blackheads I am pretty frustrated. Erno Laszlo is not altogether ideal for my budget but pretty, clear skin is important to me 😞

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Am I possibly doing something wrong?!

Re: Skin troubles....still

ECHO ECHO ECHO!!! Yes yes yes use a moisturizer and stop exfoliating so much @Meggi7. There are plenty of affordable options for products so I'd forget Erno Laszlo and find something in your budget. And SPF is VERY IMPORTANT. If you don't like a gel texture (based on your response to other comments), there are plenty of lotions that would have a lighter feel and moisturize your face.

Lots of people on BIC use the CeraVe line found at the drugstore. If you are curious about it, check out Dr. Dray on YouTube. She's a dermatologist and has tons of videos. If you are having lots of skin issues, you may need to see a dermatologist but I'd start with adding a moisturizing and exfoliating less.

@Meggi7 you’re being wayyy too rough in your skin. Your skin is probably overproducing oil trying to make up for all that’s getting removed. I’d reserve exfoliating for once every 3 days or every other day at most. Also, even if you’re oily, you have to hydrate your skin. You could try a serum like the FIRST AID BEAUTY - Ultra Repair® Hydrating Serumwhich absorbs fast. First Aid Beauty just came out with the FIRST AID BEAUTY - Ultra Repair BarriAIR Creamwwhich is supposed to help repair your skin barrier. You can use these day and night. Also, like somebody else mentioned, don’t forget an SPF.

@makeitup305; Oh, dear! I hadn't thought of that 😞 So you are suggesting a moisturizer everyday? But when I use lotion my pores get clogged and...well more acne comes up. As for the exfoliator, Erno Laszlo suggest that I did use it everyday, it is a toner/exfoliator...I hardly ever go outside...and when I do the sun is good for me right? I appreciate the help I am getting : )

@Meggi7 Excess oil is being produced  since you're dehydrated, not using moisturizer to keep the skin balanced  and over exfoliation is over kill.

SPF daily as well, you still get rays from driving around and cloudy days are worse than sunny, since most assume you can't get sun on a cloudy day.

Do you use anything else besides cleanser and the exfoliator?

@TrysBeautyItems; Ok, it looking like I should add a moisturizer to my routine but usually when I use lotion it clogs my pores then I have more trouble - you would use it all over your face? Yes, I guess even after years of working with this I feel kinda 'new' to it, lol! Is SPF really that important? :D?
Besides cleansing and exfoliating, I use Clinique's new blackhead extractor and sometimes a facial scrub...I am considering adding a mask to my weekly routine too.

@Meggi7 Skip Clinque blackhead for now. The skin is overly clogged and unbalanced. Once balanced the skin will calm down. Clinique blackhead ingredients start with salt and silicone. The salt is drying, silicone makes a barrier and traps oil, so it can't go anywhere to relieve itself.

Also skip the extra scrub, it's over doing it. The skin is stressed. Stop all forms of exfoliation for now. The feeling of extreme clean, no oil, actually indicates stripping the skin of natural oils. Skin should feel comfortable, not tight/squeaky clean nor overly slick.

Moisturizer you definitely need. Ingredients matter, the order of them go from heaviest concentration to least. Skip high amounts of silicone and alchohol dent. aka drying alcohol. Those won't help your skin. Water based would be ok. And yes apply all over.

Spf, yes. It's the best defender against harming the skin barrier, visually and internally. Also the best anti ager. Shields from possibly sun spots, which can turn into skin cancer. One does need the sun for vitamin d.

@Meggi7  I'd start with adding a consistent moisturizer and reducing your exfoliation. Most people don't even need daily exfoliating, let alone two times a day. Over-exfoliating can damage your moisture barrier, leading to drying out your skin which in turn leads to over-production of oil and clogged pores. And oily skin definitely needs moisturizer- it's just a matter of finding the right one. Gel-based moisturizers are lighter and tend to work really well for oily skin. I'd highly recommend checking out BELIF - The True Cream Aqua Bomb.

@quspork; Yes, after reading the help I am getting I think I should go ahead and add that moisturizer. I am just a bit hesitant due to the fact that my pores seem to get clogged then but I should, give it a try. I can check out one you sent too! I know the gel based it suppose to be good and I actually used one the other night (honestly, I did not like that as it was sticky, lol) But probably it was the type I used. I am calling my toner and exfoliator...I guess I am calling it the wrong thing 😉 Erno Laszlo recommends I use it daily after cleansing...? 

@Meggi7 The right light moisturizer shouldn't clog your pores. Unfortunately though, sometimes it's a matter of trial and error to find the right one that fits your skin best. If you listed the exact products that your using currently, we could evaluate them a little better, but generally speaking, even if something says it can be used daily- that doesn't mean it should be. It really sounds like you're over-exfoliating right now. You would be amazed at how being less rough and adding in more hydration and moisture can help! And as the posters above mentioned, definitely look into sunscreen. When you use exfoliating products, they cause your skin to become even more sensitive to sun damage so spf is an absolute need. 

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing