Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Olaplex & Acne

I have been using Olaplex No. 4 Bond Maintenance™ Shampoo 8.5 oz/ 250 mL & OLAPLEX - No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Creme  for a few months now and have seen an increase in breakouts with many being on my hairline. I have a history on severe cystic acne so I don't want to assume the increase is purely do to the product (because I LOVE what it has done to my hair), but I wanted to know if anyone else had this experience.

Re: Olaplex & Acne

I never have acne.  I've had very few pimples or blackheads in my life.  I want to emphasize FEW.  However, since using Olaplex 3 and 4, although my hair is smoother and has more shine, I have been getting very painful pimples all over my scalp, base of my skull, nape of my neck, and recently, my ears.  Painful cystic acne.  If I hit one while brushing my hair, I experince a sharp pain and burning.  Very inconvenient.  Right now I have about 10.  Olaplex is the only new addition to my life.  A few weeks ago, before coloring my hair (same product for years-never a problem), I used a clarifying shampoo for a few days.  Acne cleared up.  A few days after coloring my hair I resumed Olaplex and the pimples came back with a vengence.  My scalp, hairline, neck, behind my ears and inside my ears.  I will stop using these and give away my remaining products.   Olaxplex may not be a problem for some, but clearly there are some for whom Olaplex is a problem- such is the way of life.  

I had the same experience! I've never had acne. A few spots here and there over my lifetime. I developed extremely painful lumps on my scalp, hairline, nape of my neck and edges of my face. I was so busy with work I never stopped to think about it. I quit using Olapex and it cleared up and hasn't returned.

Have you found a replacement product? I'm a bit anxious about finding a new product.

Correction of my typo- I use 4 and 5 bond maintenance shampoo and conditioner.  

I have been getting acne around the nape of my neck unfortunately too. I only just recently connected it to the Olaplex (shampoo specifically, none of the other products touch my scalp). I have been using the No. 6 for ages and never had trouble with it. I stopped using the shampoo for a couple months and when I started it again I noticed that area flaring up again. I will likely start alternating it with a couple other products, a clarifying shampoo for sure. I was so hoping it wasn’t the Olaplex! 

I having been using the Olaplex No. 4 bond maintenance shampoo & Olaplex No. 5 bond maintenance conditioner since September 13, 2021. I definitely noticed a change in my hair quality for the better, but what has also come about after starting to use it is that I started breaking out on my scalp, face, chest and back for over a month of using it now. This is happening in spots I’ve never gotten acne at before. I really love the product, but not sure how much longer I can use if it keeps making me break out. Just a heads up if you plan on purchasing the products. I thought I was the only one experiencing these issues until I researched!

By the way I’ve also been making sure to not have the shampoo or conditioner run down on to my face and skin as much and this isn’t helping either way. 

#Olaplex #shampoo @Olaplex # olaplex

I have the same problem, too! I was suspicious like is it because I changed my daily care routine or because of the summer or because of olaplex ( I noticed the breakout on the hairline) .. but now I read your comments and it match! 🥲💔

I have been using the bonding shampoo and conditioner for over a year. Love what it has done to my hair. But I too have been breaking out on my scalp for about 2 months now. I did a little research. To get it under control  I stopped using Olaplex and switched to Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo. I will go back and try the Olaplex again once I get it under control.

Olaplex 4 caused me to have horrible acne in the back of my head. I switched to T-Sal To clear it up, but after one use of Olaplex, the acne was back unfortunately:(

I have cystic acne as well and love Olaplex. I haven't had an issue, but I do my skin care routine after I have washed and apply product to my hair. So maybe switching it up, wash your hair, then your face to remove any product that could be left over as you wash and rinse.  Hope that helps!

Yes.  I just bought the Olaplex and used No 0-No3, Shampoo Conditioner and the oil post.  Followed directions and everything.  It made me breakout SOOOOOOO bad on my hairline, mostly the temples and my shoulders chest and back and I have never had that problem before.  I thought it was hormonal.  

I love the olaplex tho! But, now I know that I have to really take care of my skin while using it because it will cause some serious folliculitis. 

I just started using the Olaplex conditioner and have noticed an increase in breakouts on my neck and face as well. Love what it does to my hair but not my skin 😞

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
testing