Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Clearing Acne

Hey my name is Ricky. I'm a 16 year old boy who is struggling with some stubborn acne. I have normal skin and it can take just about anything I throw at it without any irritation or sensitivity. I start my current routine about 2-3 months ago and I feel that I never really recovered from purging. I have seen some improvement in my skin but it's not at the level that I know these products can do.

My current routine

• Vanicream Cleanser

• The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 1 oz/ 30 mL

• The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% 1 oz/ 30 mL 

The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL  (which I use 1-2 times a week)

• Vanicream Moisturizing Cream (which I'm personally not currently loving) 

• (And a sunscreen that probably isn't the best)

I'm not sure exactly what to do but right now. I'm taking a break from these products and just letting my skin take a breather. I really home someone can help me out.

Re: Clearing Acne

I just mentioned in another post that you don't want anything too stripping on your face, and i wish someone told me this when i was a teenager: moisturize!!

Origins Checks and Balances™ Frothy Face Wash helped me when i was a teenager and i think Tata Harper Clarifying Blemish & Oil Control Cleanser 4.1 oz/ 125 mL could be good as well (i know its pricey) but try Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Extra Strength Daily Peel (theres a lighter version as well) I use it to try and get of my acne scars, and it does make my skin look great.

happy hunting for the right products!

@ricky03 Did you start all of those around the same time? The only product you listed that can cause purging is the AHA/BHA peel so it's very likely that you're actually experiencing a breakout due to a negative reaction to one of the other products. Also that peel should not be used more than once a week, if even that often. It's an incredibly powerful exfoliating peel. Honestly, I'd recommend stopping everything and starting over slowly so you can build a solid routine that will help nourish and heal your skin.

Yes, I started them at the same time.

Hi @ricky03 ! I’m also a teenager with acne. The Ordinary Peeling Solution can be a bit irritating for sensitive skin, especially if you haven’t had a skincare routine before. Use it maximum once a week if you want to keep using it! The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% 2 oz/ 60 mL and The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 2 oz/ 60 mL are really great products, so I’d stick with them. Mya device would be to try a different cleanser and moisturizer. I’d try the Cerave Daily Moisturizer, it’s a drugstore product, and is affordable and good for sensitive skin. For a cleanser, I’d also suggest the Cerave SA cleanser. Salicylic Acid is an amazing fighting ingredient. If you have pretty persistent acne, I love Benzoyl Peroxide, but if you have sensitive skin it could irritate it. So, I’d try replacing your cleanser and moisturizer with Cerave products, and maybe use a different et sunscreen if your current one is not the best. So so happy that you up are using a sunscreen though, because so many people don’t know how important it is! I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions 😊

What sunscreen would you recommend?

@ricky03 I would recommend COOLA Full Spectrum 360° Sun Silk Drops Organic Sunscreen SPF 30 1 oz/ 30 mL , Supergoop! Zincscreen Mineral Lotion SPF 40 1.7 oz/ 50 mL . If you were looking for a drugstore product, I’d suggest the Cerave Hydrating SPF 30. Have a great rest of your day, let me know if you have any other questions!

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors