cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

National SPF Day ☀️

Hello BIC, 

As you might all know National SPF Day ☀️ this year is rapidly approaching. May 27, 2023. I like to think SPF Day is every day because it is so important for our skin! I would love everyone to share their tips and tricks for sun safety and of course favourite sunscreens.

My favourite combo right now is using Summer Fridays ShadeDrops Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Milk Sunscreen 1.7 oz / 50 mL as my base and applying Tower 28 Beauty SunnyDays SPF 30 Tinted Sunscreen Foundation 20 Mulholland  over it. Summer Fridays ShadeDrops Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Mineral Milk Sunscreen 1.7 oz / 50 mL I am still able to apply sunscreen over my makeup and it still gives a great finish and does not mess up my makeup! I also try to always wear a hat if I am going to be outside for an extended time and I never forget to protect my eyes with sunglasses 🕶️.

Right now I have been wanting to try these SPF:

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare All-Physical Lightweight Wrinkle Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 P... 

Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Sunscreen SPF 50 

Evereden SPF 50 Premium Mineral Sunscreen 2 oz / 60 mL 

Drop a comment below and share your favorite SPF or tips and tricks to enjoy the summer safely.

Happy National SPF Day!!!

*updated to take the year out 🙂

Re: National SPF Day ☀️

Hi @ather i love the unseen sunscreen from supergoop!

@beverly135  that’s a great one too!! 

I have good timing because I just ordered a new SPF to try last week and it should arrive in the next day or two.  It's new on the market: the Isntree Onion Fresh Fluid Sun Cream.  I have another Isntree sunscreen that I love so I thought I'd try the newest version from the brand.

isntree-onion-fresh-fluid-sun-cream-spf50-pa-50ml-824.jpg

I have heard so much about this one. How is your experience after a couple of weeks? I would love to try this one out.

Thanks for sharing

I LOVE the SKIN 1004 Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Water-Fit Sun Serum! (that's a mouthful, lol.)

I'm really specific with my SPFs because I can't handle many textures or scents as an autistic person. I usually get. I usually get urked by the typical SPF "smell" many products have. I really adore the texture of this one though! Plus, it doesn't have a noticible scent ❤️

I put that on after my AM routine, and then I've recently begun to use the Beauty of Joseon Matte Sun Stick to reapply every two hours! It was a birthday gift and I am in love with it!! 

I don't like SPF that's too dewy because I feel like it makes me look oily, but I usually look dewy throughout the day because my skincare products are super hydrating (dry skin + tretinoin sucks lol). The SKIN 1004 Sun Serum says it has a natural-to-dewy finish if my memory is correct? I like the finish of it on my skin, though 🙂

The BOJ Sun Stick is mattifying, but not to an extreme degree. I find it helps with some oil and it lets me look dewy throughout the day rather than oily 🙂 It especially helps with my oily T-zone!

IMG_9240.jpg

Question: what’s a good sunscreen for acne prone skin? I find a lot of sunscreens break me out, but of course sunscreen is important to me and my skincare routine. Any suggestions?

Hi, I would definitely recommend the super goop glow screen, it protects your skin from the sun without giving a white tint because the sunscreen has a mild skin color to it!👍

I have a handful of favorite sunscreens that I reach for, and many of them are included in the Sephora Favorites Sun Safety Kit  @ather. I love that Sephora brings out a new set every year - they're not always filled with my favorites or ones I wanted to try, but it is nice to have a chance to try out different sunblocks and the bag that is part of the set is usually a nice one, like this year - that neon shade is sure to stand out and it is quite roomy. I'm planning on keeping all my sunblock in this bag.

Sun Safety Kit.jpg

This year's set includes:

☀️  The INKEY List Polyglutamic Acid Dewy Sunscreen SPF 30 - this has been on my list to try

🌄  CAY SKIN Isle Lip Balm SPF 30 - I have and like a couple of tthe tinted versions of this lip balm and happy to see that a lip product with SPF was included

🌞  Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench® Hyaluronic Hydrating Moisturizer SPF 45

😎  Dr.Jart+ Cicapair™ Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30 - great for toning down or blurring the appearance of redness. I often use this one as a primer. 

🌅  Saint Jane Luxury Sun Ritual Pore Smoothing SPF 30 - this one surprised me when it was first released. It really does smooth and blur the look of pores

☀️  Isle of Paradise Medium Self Tanning Drops

🌇  Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Mini - I prefer physical / mineral sunblocks but this chemical filter SPF is one that I do think works well. I'm intrigued by the mineral version they launched this year and wish they would have included that one in the set.

🌤  Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare All-Physical Active Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50 - wanted this one to work for me but it leaves my skin looking overly oily / too shiny

🌞  Paula’s Choice Youth-Extending Daily Hydrating Fluid SPF 50 - a nice moisturizer and sunblock in one. I prefer a separate SPF and moisturizer but for a 2-in-1, it's a nice one, though I prefer the Fenty moisturizer and sunscreen in one, which is also included in this set

🌄  Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF50 Moisturizer

☀️  Kiehl’s Since 1851’s Better Screen UV Serum

😎  innisfree Daily UV

🌅  Shiseido Vita-Clear

🌞  Summer Fridays ShadeDrops SPF 30 Mineral Milk Sunscreen - one of my favorites

🌇  Fenty Skin Hydra Vizor Mineral SPF 30 Moisturizer – Travel-Size - this is my new go-to 2-in-1 moisturizer and sunscreen. I like that it has a pump dispenser and a peachy-pink hue that helps to color correct and add brightness to the complexion. 

For future sun safety sets, I'd like to see them include a sunscreen mist and a SPF for hair and scalp. I've been loving the mists from Soleil Toujours and the COOLA Scalp & Hair Sunscreen & Color Protection Mist with SPF 30 has been one I've had in my stash for a few years.

@itsfi  I love that you are able to try new ones or have extras of your favs! Plus that bag is so cute!!!!🥰 is the Inkey list SPF new? Or maybe it’s just not in Canada!! You have a great list of SPF to try out!! 

@ather I haven't tried out the Inky List one yet!  But I've had a few people say that they enjoy it and especially the price point.  I just checked the Canadian brand site and didn't see it there, so it must not be approved for Canada yet.  While I was there... I happened to see some tinted plumping lip balms... @itsfi  have you seen these???  Anyone tried them?  

@missjeanie, I knew TIL made a clear balm but I didn't know about the tinted ones until you mentioned. So, naturally, I decided to look 'em on The Inkey List site - ohhhh, those are pretty shades. I like that they offer a set with all the balms (tinted and clear) and a set with just the tinted ones. I'm trying to be strict on my low buy and selective in what I pick up. 🤣 I've made some purchases in April and have some planned for May so I am going to hold off on TIL tints...for now, that is. I could see myself revisiting that at some point. Ha! Do you think you'll pick up a tint from The Inkey List?

@missjeanie  Drats. I was also looking for it but didn’t see it. I didn’t see the plumping lip balm yet. I wonder how good it is. I hope someone gets it and leaves some reviews! 

@ather @itsfi I held off on ordering.  I randomly decided at one point last week to try and get a better system going for my lip products... and got a weeeee bit overwhelmed.  Why do I have this many lipsticks? How am I ever going to put a dent in this stash?  I need to stop buying lip stuffs....?  This feeling may only last a few weeks but I'm hoping to get more organized and use more of what I already have.  

@missjeanie  Hmm maybe bring overwhelmed will help you not purchase? Even if just for a short period? @itsfi  There must be a way make it easier to not adding to the collection? I have been good lately. Hopefully it stays this way! 

@ather I have two modes for this situation.  I'll either look at the giant pile of lip products and just use the same two over and over again to avoid having to go through it, orrrrrrr I'll get organized, use a few every week and grow my 'pan it' box as I use items.  I'm hoping the latter wins out this time!

@missjeanie  Fingers crossed!!! 🤞🏻 

@missjeanie, I'm very intrigued by your new system. I have been working on a plan to make my way through my lip products. Here's what I have so far ...

1.  Put together a plan for working through lip products.

Yeah, we're apparently still in the "thinking" process. Possibly in the "brainstorming" portion of it. Possibly. 🤣 

I'm fairly certain your questions were rhetorical in nature, but alas, here's what came to mind - 

Why do I have this many lipsticks? <<insert innocent shrug here>> One of life's mysteries? 

How am I ever going to put a dent in this stash? Baby steps. Baby. steps. 

I need to stop buying lip stuffs....?  Woah, woah, woaaaaahhh!!! Can someone get us a thermometer?!! You feeling okay missjeanie?! Are you sure? What's with this crazy talk?!! 😲 Stop buying lip stuffs? How does that even happen, missjeanie, @ather?!

I'm with ya on using more of what I already have. I have some purchases en route - ummm, mostly planned or allowed; mostly. Still, I may be making part of May and possibly part of June, as well, a full blown 'no buy' period. Surely, I can do that for a couple, a few, weeks, right? Riiiight??? NOTE: just so we're all clear, the emphasis is on the question marks. 😂🤣😂 

@itsfi I used to have my lip products in old BBW candle jars, that sat atop cake stands on my dresser.  This sounded cute... but then I had four cake stands worth of lip products.  Not to mention a few of the tiered lipstick holders and they were all overflowing.  Last week I decided I was going to figure out a system, dumped everything into an amazon box, sat staring at the box and the dresser.  That's as far as I got.  

I think that I have an idea of what I want to do to organize them, but my idea has led me to re doing an entire room.  So the lipsticks were a catapult for a whole bunch of new ideas and so far everything is just chilling in a box on the floor of said room. 

I would love to commit to a full blow no buy, but I know that's just not who I am right now.  I'm going to try and stick with low... I feel like that's achievable.  I'm also going to get back to trying out older products in my stash again via Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge !

I do assure you and @ather ... I'm sure I'll buy more lip products... just a matter of how long I hold out lol.

Oh my goodness @missjeanie, your set up with the lip products, old B&BW candle jars, and cake stand is absolutely adorable! I looooove it! 😍 What a beautiful set up that must have been!! 💖 I have to say I lol'ed pretty hard when I read the part of you having 4 cake stands. I mean, I get it; I really do, but pretty funny. And, yet, at the same time, I think it must have also looked amazing! It's actually got me thinking (ruh-roh?!!) maybe you could have a similar set up for your working through lip products project. What's a cake stand hold - 3, maybe 4 of those 3-wick B&BW candle jars or a host of smaller jars? What if you filled it with the lip products - gloss, lipstick, balm, liner, etc. that you want to work through and a jar with tried-and-true faves that you might want on hand to mix in with the older products or the ones you're working your way through?

@itsfi The cake stands... I had three of them with 7 of the 3 wick jars, and two with four.... so 29 candle jars.  All filled with lip products.  I like the idea of working through them an tossing some into a 'pan it' box. They started with a strategy of liquid lips over here, bullets over here, and balms and glosses separate then divided into brands.  Then it all went haywire lol.  I may keep the jars on a bookshelf and try to 'clean up' the organization again.  I say this like I'm not just going to ignore it for a few weeks first lol

testing