Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
|

SOS! OILY SKIN FROM H3LL!

I have suffered from oily skin for my entire life. I try to be thankful because I know I'll continue to have fewer wrinkles when I'm older 😉 however, for right now I want to die! 

I have acne prone skin as well (as if it doesn't already go hand in hand!) and I'm currently looking to totally revamp my skincare/makeup routine. I've used foundations such as Kat Von D lock it foundation which moved whenever I would even touch my face, transferring to my hands, you could actually SEE where I had touched my face because the foundation would transfer and separate so badly. I've also tried Nars foundation, Tarte Shape tape concealer which I actually love, but don't think it's great for my oily skin sadly 😞 I'm obsessed with Laura Mercier setting powder, and have tried some drugstore foundations, but everything seems to literally want to slide off my face. 

I have used benefit porefessional primer for about six months and though I love it, I also don't think this is great for oily skin. My Becca poreless primer seems to work well, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I'm thinking a lot of this could be helped over time with the right skin care. The right wash, toner, moisturizers, and masks could really do the trick as I notice the difference with masks almost immediately, my face loves them! Any good face/sheet mask suggestions for oily/acne prone skin? I've read that I should be hydrating my skin more even though it is oily... I'll literally take all the help I can get!

Thanks! xx

Anonymous Insider

Re: SOS! OILY SKIN FROM H3LL!

About 6 months ago I was in the same boat as you and I found that the best thing for my skin was to wash it twice a day and moisturize right after. Your skin can produce too much oil to fix dryness after you wash you face (like with acne face washes) and so if you moisturize it fixes it a lot. I use First Aid Beauty's face moisturizer. What I am currently using for my acne is Yes! to Tomatoes acne facewash and Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos has cleared up my skin so amazingly well. 

I had similar skin issues as you do and my skin has improved greatly now that I am serious about skincare.  I use a mix of drugstore and mid-range skincare, all of which is gentle and has really helped my skin in every way.  Here is the basics of my skincare routine:

Makeup remover: Simple micellar cleansing water

Cleanser: Loreal 360 deep facial cleanser

Toner: Clinique essence lotion for oily skin

Treatment: Kate Sommerville antibac 

Moisturizer: Clinique dramatically different gel 

I have similar skin issues as you...oily (even way beyond oily...downright greasy and slimy many days!) and acne prone. I'm also working heavily on perfecting my skin care routine. I'm not there yet, but I can say that adding oil has made a huuuuge difference. It took a few days for my skin to adjust, and then all of a sudden, wow...I wasn't greasy anymore. I'm using Tarte Maracuja Oil and it has been so so so helpful. I mix 3 drops into my moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different, gel, not the lotion...lots of folks diss this line, but it's an old standby for me as something that doesn't break me out). I have less oil, and my blackheads are disappearing too. I haven't fully banished the acne yet, but I am hopeful it will be an easier task now that I've made some major headway with the grease.

Masks...I love The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Mask. It may not be for everyone...it has small pieces of charcoal in it that can make it a bit rough/scratchy to take off, so some may find it a bit harsh. Personally, I find it quite refreshing 🙂

I'm still looking for the rest of my holy grail items...I have cleansers and toners and treatments that I like fine, but nothing has been the magic bullet to fully clear up my acne yet. 😕

Good luck in your hunt...I know how frustrating it can be. There are a lot of one-step-forward-two-steps-back moments, and it sucks. 😞

Actually, diet has little to with your oil production. It actually has to do with hormone levels. On the bright side, high oil content means less wrinkles later on in life! (I work in dermatology!)

A few of my favorites are the Fresh Soy Face Cleanser, which is very gentle. Since you're very oil, you will want to stick with a gel-based moisturizer. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel is amazing, and more on the affordable side. At Sephora, the Aqua bomb is comparable and at a reasonable price! 

Also forgot to mention that Elta MD UV Clear is a great sunscreen for oily/ acne prone skin! There is a tinted and a non-tinted version. The dermatologist I work for always recommends the tinted version, but I use the non-tinted and it's still just fine. It has high SPF to protect, and will keep you matte. 

Thank you so much! I'll definitely note that I should use gel based moisturizers. 

Skincare is definitely where you should start, what is your current routine and skincare products?

Also, odd enough but diet is a big contributor to skins health in general as well. To start, make sure you're drinking enough water (8-10 glasses a day) you could be very dehydrated and your skin is likely compensating with more oil production. Leafy green vegetables, healthy fats, fruits need to be in your regular diet for overall health from the inside to the outside. 

My current skin care is a bit in limbo as I'm right in the midst of trying out new things! What I had been using before (which only worked for a while for the acne, but didn't seem to combat oil) was the Cetaphil oily skin cleanser, the Cetaphil acne/combo skin moisturizer with spf 50, and would use the St. Ives green tea blackhead scrub and the St. Ives apricot acne scrub about twice a week (I LOVE those).

I am extremely active 🙂 I played volleyball competitively all throughout school and into college, and I now continue to workout/run/walk (my pup, for two hours) daily, that means lots of water for me! I've never enjoyed drinking water, but due to some bowel issues I was told long ago by my doctor that water is extremely important for me in particular for my issues 🙂 Thank you so much for your suggestions tho!

Hi @andeemay

I have combo oily skin so I totally understand how you feel! Before I started working at Sephora it was really out of control, but thankfully working here has given me a lot of knowledge to help make it a lot better. 😄 

Belif has some of my favorite products and I honestly believe that they may be one of my favorite go to brands! I think you may like their Problem Solution Toner and Aqua Bomb Moisturizer. Their problem solution is going to help soothe and hydrate skin after cleansing it. It also has white willow bark and tea tree oil extract to help address the breakouts. Aqua Bomb delivers a rush of hydration to skin. It's a gel cream formula and gel formulas are great for those with oily skin since it's more lightweight but still hydrating. (: 

The current cleanser I'm in love with is the Kate Somerville EradiKate® Daily Cleanser Acne Treatment. I already use the spot treatment a lot, but this cleanser is great for an every day gentle acne treatment. For me, I'm able to use it every morning and it doesn't dry my skin out, but you may want to test it out at first and see how your skin reacts with it. I feel like it really helps to calm my current breakouts and lessen the redness. 

I haven't used it (yet) but I've heard that the Fresh
Umbrian Clay Purifying Mask is great for acne and oily prone skin. My friend uses it as a spot treatment on her acne, but you can also use it all over to help absorb those oils and detox skin. 

Oils are great to use on oily skin since it helps reduce oil and I'm currently using the KORRES Wild Rose Vitamin C Active Brightening Oil. I do have some scars from acne, so I like this helps brighten my overall complexion and add an extra boost of hydration. 

XOXO,
Marieke

Thank you! Have you ever tried the Murad acne cleanser? I was thinking about trying that.

@andeemay, I have not tried it! I have heard good things about their acne line though. 🙂 

XOXO,
Marieke
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing