Answer
ucf0503
What is the best face moisturizer for my flaky, yet oily skin?

My face is pretty dry right after I wash it in the morning.  I use the CVS brand of Cetaphil as my dermatologist suggested that when I told him how my face gets very red and splotchy.  Not long after I use that moisturizer/lotion, my skin becomes oily and flaky especially in between my eyebrows and on my forehead.

Can anyone suggest for me a decent priced product that I could use that would help moisturize my skin without causing flakes and oil?

Thanks!

Marissa

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 12
cherrybombtastic
Answered

I don't think there is a "best" moisturizer because everyone's skin is different. I love using Murad's Skin Perfecting Lotion, which is oil-free, but what I usually do after I cleanse at night is I use a cotton ball and dip a bit of it in water and swipe it over my whole face. It works really well in picking up any flakes or potential flakes. Pat dry and moisturize. I seriously think that's the whole point of a toner, except a toner has alcohol or some sort of astrigent and I would suggest to avoid it. I hope this helps and good luck!

lovelonghair
Answered

Another cheap trick is to wash gently for 60 seconds (count to 60 slowly) and then using a cheap, nubby washcloth you can get at Walmart (bundle pack), wet it and start wiping off the cleanser.  Do this about three times, using mild pressure.  Then splash a couple of times with water and pat dry.  Apply the Clinique moisturizer (start with pea size first and then adjust after you see how your skin feels in about 20 minutes).  Because you are flaking, you need exfoliation but with sensitive skin, scrubs can be too harsh.  I find the washcloth works great.  In the morning, if your face is not oily, simply splash with water in the shower and run the cloth over your face a few times.  If you need to use cleanser in the morning, cut it down to 30 seconds.  Use a clean washcloth every day.  I find this works just as good as pricy scrubs. 

proerik
Answered

Hello,

If you are experiencing this type of dryness you should try a serum that will really hydrate your skin. I would recommend you try:

Peter Thomas Roth Viz 1000 which is 75% Hylauronic Acid which brings moisture to dry areas of the skin. I use it under my moisturizer as a booster. 

I too have very oily skin with occasional dryness and like to use Josie Maran Argan oil as a moisturizer. You use a small amount and it absorbs into the skin rather quickly and works extremely well. 

I hope this helps, 

-Erik 

Sephora PRO

projill
Answered
(0) Hearts

I love Josie Maran Argan Oil to help with flakiness, but if you want a great price point then try First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream.

It is great for all skin types and will hydrate you very well.  It is a richer cream, so you may want to start using it at night.

xoxo

Jill

corrin99
Answered
(0) Hearts

The best by far is moisture surge from Clinique, but it's very pricy.  So what I do is wait for their gift and hope one is in it, I use Dramatically Different Gel most of the time, I like it quite a bit, if you need more moisture use vitamin e oil at night.  The DDG is $24, it's affordable I think, one bottle lasts me at least 3 months and I use 3 pumps a day, which is probable more than you need.  To help with flakes use St. Ives Apricot Scrub or I really like Clinique Exfoliating Scrub, fairly reasonable, $18 it lasted me almost a year using it weekly.

proerik
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hello,

I completely agree with Jill, The Josie Maran Argan oil is amazing! It is so mutifunctional I also like to use it as a body moisturizer and in my hair.  =) 

-Erik 

Sephora PRO

kate1465
Answered
(0) Hearts

clinique's dramatically different mosturizing GEL.. make sure u get the gel though its better for oily skin :smileyhappy: hope this helps

cutey7
Answered
(0) Hearts

I had the same problem recently and my dermatologist told me to use a warm cloth to remove the flakes in the morning. However, when I went to sephora and told the girl about it she suggested I exfoliate and gave me a sample of Ole Henriksen's New Beginning Scrub and its great. I've used it twice and a little bit goes along way. Its a natural product and the mildest exfoliator they have so its good on your skin if its sensitive.

techchic7
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have oily skin as well and the Argan oil works great. It actually makes your skin less oily while moisturizing it. I tend to break out easily as well and this doesn't make me break out. Just remember a little goes a long way. 

bcolavecchio
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have extremely dry skin on my forehead, especially between my eyebrows. It is also extremely dry around my nose and would even crack in this area. My dermatologist recommended using Head and Shoulders to wash my face, which I do using a buff-puff.  I have tried every moisturizer at every price point, and this trick has worked like a dream.

kmball
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have oily skin year around, but in the winter it's a weird combination of still oily but I feel horribly tight and dry and it hurts. I started using the Argan Oil and it's done wonders. It actually cancels out my oiliness (which I found shocking that it didn't make me oilier), and it's super moisturizing without having to slather on a ton of product. You should try the $14 bottle and see what you think. I like it a lot.

jennypenny1995
Answered
(0) Hearts

If you're tight after cleansing, it's because you stripped all the oil off.  (There IS a such thing as "good" oil!)  That's prob making you flaky, too.

I use Murad's Anti-Aging Moisturizer during the day but use their Vitamin C cleanser and night cream before bed.  So, I control the oil during the day but feed my skin water and antioxidants at night when it's repairing itself.

Question Stats
  • 12 answers
  • 6 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • corrin99
    • ucf0503
    • cherrybombtastic
    • lovelonghair
    • projill
    • proerik
    • jennypenny1995
    • cutey7