sangova

What are you getting/doing for your husband/boyfriend for Valentine's day?

There's a thread about Valentine's day, the author mentioned it's not for her boyfriend.

I don't know what to make or buy for my guy. He always buys me a nice gift for this day, and I make a dinner :smileyhappy: But this year I'd like to buy something too. 

What do you usually do?

LCResz

Re: What are you getting/doing for your husband/boyfriend for Valentine's day?

My hubby and I don't celebrate VD (yup, that's how we refer to Valentine's Day with tongues firmly planted in cheeks...) Everything is overpriced and crowded on that day, so I make a fancy dinner and he buys fancy wine and we chill at home and watch Kubrick films (like I said, we like irony). 

If you really want to buy him something just ask him what he wants :smileyhappy: I know most think surprises are romantic, but guys don't need the stress of wondering  if you are getting them something and how big they have to go to reciprocate.

mychoi

(0) Hearts

some men don't know what they want :smileysad:

my bf just graduated from college last quarter (my college is quarter based)

and recently got sick so i asked him what he wanted for his birthday coming up and he replied

"a job. to get better from this cold." and nothing more

i already bought him businessy clothes for christmas and a watch for his last birthday. he's a simple man with simple needs. Its impossible to give him what he wants that he already doesn't own 

marydiva

I'm giving my SO a Shutterfly book full of cute pictures and funny things about us and some gummy bears. (His favorite candy.) My birthday is a few days before Valentines Day, so last year we celebrated everything together and had a movie night and lots of snacks and just hung out. (We're a very relaxed, laid back couple.) I think this year we might go ice skating! 

mychoi

This just reminded me! have you seen the hilarious reviews of the haribo sugar free gummy bears on amazon? if not, i highly recommend you look it up because it had me laughing hard :smileyvery-happy:

here's one that i found. 

upload_5854112640769398646.jpg

killahbabe

Someone posted this on my FB last week... I thought I would die laughing! :smileyvery-happy:

Then I looked over at my 6lbs bag of sugar free gummy bears in terror... they were Brach's brand though so I *think* I'm safe...

kssweetheart

Yup!! It's the "Tol" sisters - Sorbitol, Mannitol and ?? forget the 3rd one.

Anyhow, they are Killer! The sorbitol in one cough drop nearly killed me!! I can't begin to tell you how severe the stomach/intestinal pain was. These sweeteners are in just about every gum, anything sugar-free and even in Medication!!! Believe it or not.

My Mother, Sister and a good friend are also very sensitive to the 'tol's' - although they do not react as strongly as I do. If you have an 'issue' or sensitivity to them, the more you eat, the worse your symptoms will be.

I'll have to blow that review up and read it, or just find it on amazon.

Brachs is a favorite brand of mine, I Luuuuuuv their Candy Corns, the only brand I'll eat. yum!

Hope you all  have a wonderful Valentines Day with your honey;s. :smileyhappy:

katie1724

[ Edited ]

It's not the brand, it's the sugar substitutes / alcohols...like sorbitol, which is a hyperosmotic laxative (if you ingest enough of it). I think it also depends on how much you eat, though -- if you have a handful of gummy bears or a few sugar free candies, it's fine, but the more you have in one sitting, the worse it is (or if your stomach tends to be sensitive, you might have a lower tolerance). If you've had them before with no, errr, issues, though, you'll be fine!

marydiva

OHMYGOSH XD Stay safe, my dear! 

mychoi

make sure you read their reviews first! We want you safe! x)

marydiva

OHMYGOSH! XD That's hysterical! 

jojobe

Those are hilarious. Good thing they are only on the sugar free ones! I send my son a bag of the regular ones. Sometimes I would love to send these to my ex...lol

yazmin

(0) Hearts

I love staying home and watching movies, we do this often but we love it. we stay home watch movies all day and order food. I am thinking of what to do but we could definitely do this.

sangova

That's a great idea! I think I'll keep it in mind for next year :smileyhappy: I broke our computer few months ago, and everything including pictures were gone :smileysad: I like movie nights too :smileyhappy: 

marydiva

Oh no! That happened to our family a few years ago - it was awful! 

sangova

(0) Hearts

I know... That's why I'm not playing "I can fix this myself" game anymore lol 

mychoi

Last year, my bf and I celebrated the day after valentines day, mainly because I had to work and I hate being in crowded places.  So we went to cheesecake factory the day after for lunch and it was great. Not a lot of people and got our food x) okay that was probably not the answer you were looking for but that's me haha

sangova

Oh, I so hear you! I'm actually thinking on celebrating it before or after too, mainly because I hate crowded places as well :smileyhappy: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 45 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • killahbabe
    • marydiva
    • jojobe
    • mafan
    • kssweetheart