Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Can we talk keratin?

TLDR: I had a keratin treatment in late April but the results only lasted a month and a half-ish. I am scheduled for another appointment in early August. What is your experience with keratin?

I did a Keratin treatment for the first time with my new stylist back in April. I have a lot of hair and it is very thick and long. I have a variety of textures, most of my hairs are quite coarse, but some are smooth and sleek. I have tight curls around my hairline that turn to waves the farther it gets from my face.

I had not considered a keratin treatment for quite some time after reading multiple articles about celebrities having to chop their hair due to the Keratin trashing their hair. 

My first appointment with my new stylist (the owner, how fancy! lol) was in March. He addressed my crazy frizz (I have frizzy hair but for the past 2 years, it has been crazy bad) and said I need a good deep conditioner. Then he got to thinking about a Keratin treatment. He mentioned treating my hair and then leaving it for several hours, then rinsing it out rather than sealing it in with heat. I told him my concerns and he told me to do some more reading to make my decision. I scheduled a treatment for April and went home to do more research. Most articles I read would give me a huge story and all the negatives and then in the summary would say they can really be great, just don't do them too often (limit to once or twice a year) and that if you are in the hands of a great stylist, you should be good to go.

I figured I would give it a try, I have been so self-conscious about the frizz, and my boss has been giving me a hard time as well. 

He did the treatment as normal, sealing it in with heat. I was very happy with the results, the only negative was my curls and waves were falling relatively straight. I was told it wouldn't ruin them.

I purchased Oribe Moisture and Control shampoo and conditioner that day and have only used those products in the shower. I wash my hair 1-2x a week, sometimes 3.

I was expecting the results to last 3-4 months but the hair around my face is back to its crazy frizz. The rest of my hair is still doing well though. I went in for a trim last Thursday and I think he was telling me we could have done a touch-up or something to my roots that day but I was really anxious and I  kinda blacked things out or something. I just remember him saying "So, are we just doing a trim then?" and I just agreed.

I have scheduled to go back and do one more treatment in early August. I am not sure if he is doing just the hair that is frizzy or if we are doing a full treatment again. 

We also discussed my purchasing the salon size bottles of Oribe (a different line though) the next time I go in. He doesn't usually sell those to clients but he feels for me with all my hair. I think the shampoo and conditioner will come out to around $281, so this is definitely a big investment for me!! Naturally, I am getting pretty stressed about having enough money for the treatment and the products. I am a college student, so I don't have piles of money laying around for such luxuries haha!! I do think/ hope it will be worth it. I just really need something to work!

A few years back it was acne that was causing too much stress in my life and now it is my frizzy hairs. SOS

Anywho, any input, experiences, and whatnot are most welcome!!

Re: Can we talk keratin?

Another vote for Brazilian Blowout! My results last for months, and I can go less often now that I've been doing it for a couple years. Maybe once every 4-5 months now...

@scharrison Have you thought about the thermal reconditioning?  I've heard that is the most superior - especially the Liscio.  I'd get it done myself if I wasn't so neurotic about my hair.  Good luck!

I don't think I have heard of that at all yet. I will certainly see what I can read about it tonight! 

@scharrison "Thermal reconditoning" goes by many names...like Japanese straightening.

Here are photos I snapped a few minutes ago!! 0711171618a.jpg 0711171619.jpg

I just had the keratin treatment done on my hair a few weeks ago and I have done it in the past and it has in the past lasted about 3 months for me. 

It seems odd to me that it has already stopped being effective for you considering you are only washing your hair 1-2 times a week ---I think that is definitely something you should ask your stylist about, having the karatin done on your hair is way too much money to not speak up. Maybe they need to use more on the front pieces in the future?

I also agree with the person below me---that is a lot of money for a shampoo and conditioner that you don't seem all that happy with. According to where I had mine done all you need is sulfate free shampoo and conditioner to maintain the keratin and the drug store has a ton of options for way cheaper so maybe look into that? It could be that the shampoo and conditioner you are using just doesn't agree with your hair so maybe trying switching that up. 

You have just being put on a rollercoaster ride of  maintenance hair treatments!

Have you try drying your hair in a low ponytail?

Either loose ponytail or a braid?

This should help tame/smooth your coarse wavy/curly hair. 

I have coarse hair and for years I thought it was dry.  But, it is not dry. It is not frizzy.  It is just coarse!  lol!!! 

It is better to learn to style your coarse hair rather than subject it to  salon treatments like keratin.

Especially if you are worried about its health.

Coarse hair is better worn long.  Where its wave/curl pattern can do its thing creating doll-like hair.

I also don't think you need gallon jugs of shampoo and conditioner.   You don't need much product to clean hair.   Try using small amounts.  Dilute with water and use on your scalp.  Then do the same with your hair length. 

Do you want to post a photo of your hair?

Great idea, I just posted them!

My hair sounds similar to yours.  I wouldn't spend that much on Oribe, ESPECIALLY as a college student on a budget - they have some nice products but the lines I've tried haven't made my hair look any better than Joico, Alterna, Aquage, It's a 10, Pureology, Moroccanoil, L'oreal sulfate free lines, Shea moisture, L'Anza, Schwarzkopf, etc., all of which are cheaper (and if you really want to spend that much on shampoo/conditioner, I'd go with Kerastase instead).  As long as you're getting shampoo/conditioner that don't have sodium chloride or sulfates (so you don't mess up the keratin treatment) you should be fine.

I've had brazilian blowouts a few times over the years and really like the results - I got a keratin treatment once (where I couldn't touch/wash my hair for 3 days after) and it was terrible.  It lasted less than a month, and my hair looked really awful afterwards and was super damaged.  Every time I've had a brazilian blowout, I can tell it's starting to wear off after about 2 months, but it's gradual and my hair is still smoother/less frizzy than it would be otherwise months after getting one. 

Personally I'd skip the Oribe and the keratin treatment and focus on doing your own protein and deep conditioning treatments at home. These are products I've had luck with (obviously don't use all the protein treatments at once - I usually use one of them 1-2x a month, which one just depends on how healthy my hair is at the moment), and my hair is a lot more manageable now (not quite as good as when I got brazilian blowouts, but close enough that it's not worth spending so much $$ on them anymore):

• Palmer's coconut oil deep conditioning protein pack 
  • Nexxus Emergencee reconstructing treatment
  • Joico k-pak reconstructor
  • Aphogee keratin & green tea restructurizer 
  • Aphoege keratin 2 minute reconstructor 
  • It's a 10 miracle deep conditioner plus keratin
  • It's a 10 magical hair mask
  • Kerastase nutritive masquintense thick
  • Kerastase masque magistral
  • Kerastase maskeratine (this is probably the Kerastase mask that works best for me)
  • Kerastase masque therapiste 
  • Kerastase creme chronologiste 
  • Schwarzkopf bonacure repair rescue treatment
  • L'Anza trauma treatment
  • Kerastase serum oleo relax
  • Kerastase keratine thermique 
  • Joico k-pak intense hydrator 
  • Aquage sea extend silkening power infusion

Also be sure you're getting regular trims to get rid of any damaged ends. I've found heating up deep conditioners (in hot water, not the microwave) makes it more effective too.

EDIT somehow forgot to mention Davines - the Love smoothing line (shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in) is really great and the shampoo/conditioner combo is my favorite - the conditioner is really thick and rich and it leaves my hair really soft and smooth.  The Nounou conditioner is good too and so's the Momo conditioner and Minu hair mask.  

Thank you so much, I am looking into all of these to see what I should try first! 

I tried It's a 10 a few years back and I believe it made my face break out quite a bit. I'm guessing it was from the hair touching my face or maybe the product getting on my pillow case and then my face. Of course, I am not 100% sure that did it, but it was the only change at the time and my face got better after I stopped using it. I did, however, up my skincare routine once my face broke out.

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos2
  • 0711171619.jpg
  • 0711171618a.jpg
testing