Answer
anongal
Limit on the number of returns?
I have heard several people now mention that Sephora stores will no longer accept returns from them for "too many returns". I have scoured the website and my receipts to see if there is anything that indicates that there is a limit to the number of returns a person has but to no avail. What exactly is Sephora's return policy regarding the number of returns a person can do? I know for one, I get a lot of gifts from people from Sephora and I do return some of them because they are not what I want (mostly unused) and I do return some items I've bought that just don't work for me. One reason I like shopping at Sephora is the return policy but if they are going to limit the number of returns, that would be nice to know and it should be clear on their website what the policy is. Thanks!
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
jadorezrg
Answered

It isn't stated on the receipt statements or the site, however their CS has mentioned that they do limit the number of Non-Receipt returns. The Sephora policy was updated a year or two ago. For returns in-store without a receipt, they are required to swipe your valid State Issued ID card. This allows them to track the number of returns that you have. This is common at many department stores, so it's not just a Sephora policy. As a company, they have every right to put limitations on their Non-receipt returns especially if its to deter people from using their generous returns policy in a fraudulent way. If you're returning a gift every once in awhile, then that shouldn't be a big deal, however, if someone makes returns on a weekly basis without a receipt then that would certainly be suspicious.

If you have your receipt or shipping slip, then you can return those items at any time and you shouldn't be hassled for it. If you are, then talk to a manager or contact CS immediately. I for one, have returned items that I've had over 6 months and had no problem returning them or exchanging them for something else. For the best up to date return policy, definitely contact your local store and ask a manager, they'd definitely know. Or call the CS line.

curvygirli
Answered

I have a question regarding this then.

I bought about $200 worth of Sephora products for XMAS. ( 3 make up kits ). I returned them within a few days, without a reciept and was issued a gift card. Since then I have been purchasing items on my gift card. I am not much of a make up person, an eye liner here, a foundation, every blue moon etc. I am just wondering, if I return an item I do not like with the gift card reciept it came with do they still need id for that?

kalex
Answered
(0) Hearts

I'm not sure there are clear cut rules in denying returns because I've heard conflicting reports.    As a business though, they are certainly entitled to prevent people from abusing their generous return policy.  I have heard of people using up almost an entire bottle of something and then returning it for a refund.  That's just wrong.  Their return policy is in place to protect their customers in the event you buy the wrong shade, the products causes a rash etc.  But unfortunately some people use it to essentially use products for free. 

If you're not taking advantage of the system I don't think you have anything to worry about!  Especially if you are returning/exchanging unused items they have no reason to think you're being dishonest.

achet69
Answered
(0) Hearts

Speaking from a retail background; many stores which allow returns or exchanges without a receipt will do so in good faith for the customer. Someone who has been refused for a return will typically be for a reason. ie. An associate saw the customer pick the item up off a shelf and then walk to the counter to make a refund with an old receipt. Or someone who is in the store often but never seems to buy something yet has items to return often and claims the purchase was at another location, or a gift.

An employee working in a good environment, for a company which makes them happy will watch out for the company and will feel a sense of guilt if they allow a customer to make a return when the situation makes the associate uncomfortable knowing or 'feeling' the product was not attained honestly.   

obsessiveangel
Answered
(0) Hearts

there is definitely a limit of returns WITH receipts as well! i've googled it~ there are ppl blacklisted even though they always used a receipt to return items (used and not used). one person wrote that she spent over $5000 in sephora within a year and even made it to rouge, but they blacklisted her because of "too many returns." 

Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 5 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • kalex
    • jadorezrg
    • curvygirli
    • anongal
    • guogai
    • obsessiveangel
    • achet69