Do you ever return products?

kristamarielund

Do you ever return products?

I'm beginning to worry that the girls at Sephora hate seeing me coming in the door. LOL! I buy a whole lot of products, but if something doesn't work for me, I exchange it. It has to REALLY not work for me but I feel like Im a chronic "returner".

For example,  Ive finally found my perfect foundation and shade, but I bought a few that looked perfect in the store, and then when I bought it and wore it all day I found they would get much darker and orange a couple hours later. I cant see spending $40 on a foundation that looks awful on me and not exchanging it. 

How many of you ladies return stuff if it just doesn't work for you?

deannarp

Re: Do you ever return products?

(0) Hearts

I have things I wish I could return but they are too old. I have a terrible sephora angled blush brush. I cant use it for anything.

pocketvenus

[ Edited ]

I definitely return! It's not worth wasting the $ on a product that turns out to not work for you. I agree though, samples help reduce waste and I get a lot of them before making a purchase.

msluminous

First, I dont think anyone should ever feel guilty for returning a product! Sephora says you can in their return policy, so why waste money on a product you wont use?

Now I try not to return things unless I absolutely will not be using them, but I do make returns. Two weeks ago I bought a new Stila Liquid Liner in Bora Bora, then the Tokidoki Glitter Liners went on sale. So I returned the Stila liner and got 3 Tokidoki liners!

And before that, in April the GHD mini styler went on sale. All my coworkers bought one and raved about it, so I bought one too. Hated it! My hair is way more coarse than my coworkers, I have only had luck with titanium irons, I should have known better...but I returned it. :smileyindifferent:

prettyinpa

I return products because it is a multi-hour trip to go to a Sephora store. I usually only get to a store when I am working in Pittsburgh, which is once or twice a year, or when I am in NYC, but sometimes the SA's are too busy to help me there, so it is hard to get samples to take home.

So if I buy something online, I try really hard to choose right. I read the reviews, ask questions here on BeautyTalk and look up past answers to see if others either like or hate the product. Fragrance is particularly difficult, I often really like the samples included in magazines but when get the actual fragrance, it smells shockingly different on me! So since I have a limited beauty budget, I do return items that I know I won't use. I figure that returns are built into Sephora's pricing policy and I don't abuse the privilege but also don't feel guilty. I also wouldn't take any verbal abuse from store clerks about the return either, the cost isn't really any of their business and I am sure it violates company policy to berate customers about returns.

cheekyangel

Since my Sephora store is so far from me I don't find me doing it too often but the last time  I did I felt really bad. 

I purchased the UD All nighter spray and after about a month of using it, my skin broke out and instead of keeping my makeup looking good it turned into a oily mess. I didn't think that my combo skin would start going oily in the warm weather. It had a lot of product left in it. I'm thinking next time I might try to sell it off to someone I know now that I know it gets thrown out.

ran8

I have.  It is not too frequent.  The stores around here are really good at advertising that most things in the store can be sampled.  They have saved me from returning a lot of skincare products and possibly a lip pencil that I wanted to try for the longest time (it was a hilariously awful looking color on me). 

The things I do return mainly fall into the category of ineffective or bad reaction.  These are usually products that would be hard to take home samples of. 

sephoramusthave

I have never returned a product to Sephora. I returned a vacuum once and I returned an unopened item to ULTA ( because I found that same item in my bathroom and didnt need it for a few months and didnt see the point of spending money on something I wouldnt use for months). However, I WISH that I had returned some of the products I got from Sephora and if I could go back I would absolutely do so. ( I give skincare items that I dont like to my mom or trash it if I know that she will hate it too). I wish that I returned Caudalie Premier Cru ( over $150 wasted with tax), Ole Henriksen 3 Little Wonders Kit ( over $70 wasted), and Hope in a Jar Original Formula. I'm sure there were quite a few more items but I cant think of them right now. I also hate pricey cleansers that dont remove makeup on their own. I never return makeup because I tend to stick to favorites that I have used for years so I never have problems with makeup not working out.

katie1724

I do return with fair frequency, but I always feel terribly guilty doing it. It didn't help once when a cashier said, "You know we have to throw this away, right? Even if you've only tested it once..." Personally, I don't see why they couldn't turn "gently used" items into testers, but I think a Moderator once said that they send everything back to the manufacturer(s).

If it's possible, I always try to get a sample first. With foundation or skincare especially, the samples that Sephora makes for you can definitely last a few days -- which for me is long enough to tell if my skin will react to it (or if the foundation shade really is a good match). Both Sephora and makeup counters at good department stores are always great about giving samples first.

: )

sephoramusthave

Katie---I cant believe the cashier would embarass you like that! If Sephora prides itself on having the worlds greatest return policy then they should take your item, no questions asked! When I returned that item to ULTA the cashier had a horrible attitude too! He looked at me in an evil way the whole time and when he gave me back the money he said " you didnt open it right?!?" after he checked and SAW the seals still on it. ( ULTA has cheap seals, once you peel them off they wont stick back on). Used items that are not in jar format but tubes and pump bottles *should* be converted into testers! I dont like how stingy Sephora is with the samples though...whenever I ask for one they fill that tiny little plastic thing only 1/4th of the way...one time they only gave me enough cream to cover half my face! And I use skincare very sparingly. And other places give me tons of deluxe samples even if I just buy one item, I dont have to *earn* samples by spending $100. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 40 hearts
  • 26 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • kristamarielund
    • cheekyangel