DTalksAll

Thoughts on Paula's Choice?

Do you agree with her views on skincare products? 

I'm on a hunt for my Summer night serum & moisturizer. I think I'm going to purchase the Perricone Blue Plasma even though it stinks so bad of fish & I hate fish. I've been researching products a lot and one of the sites I was on was Paula's Choice. She is not a fan of the serum... Actually the more I read through her "beautypedia" reviews, it seems like she's not a fan of a lot of products. I also got a feeling she was mainly trying to push her own products and Olay. 

Examples: 

- She's against treatment cleansers since it's just "washed down the drain". I have to disagree with this. When I use a treatment cleanser, although they can be drying, I do see improvement in my breakouts. 

- Witch Hazel is bad. I find witch hazel to be an important ingredient when choosing a toner. She think it's just as bad as alcohol if not worse. 

Products she gave a "poor" rating to: 

- Anthony Logistic's Glycolic cleanser got a poor rating because it doesn't contain any glycolic acid. 

- doctor dennis gross's A/B pads since we can just skip step 2 by simply splashing water on our face to deactivate step 1. 

- Dior Capture Totale One Essential Serum because it's not a "miracle serum" since it's primarily just "water, slip agents, and alcohol"

- ExfoliKate

- Just about every Ole Henriksen product I love :smileysad: 

- Origins Checks & Balances, Charcoal Mask & every other decent product from them

- Most Murad products

I do agree with a few points she makes, like companies need to stop putting active ingredients in clear vials so the sun doesn't break down the properties of the treatment. Also jar packaging is a big no-no for her. I understand that some creams are too thick to be put in a pump, but what about those airless jars that Bosica & Dermadoctor are using? I hate sticking my fingers in jars & the air does break down the active ingredients over time... 

Overall though, I don't think I'll be going to her site when I'm researching a new product I want to try. 

infinitise

Re: Thoughts on Paula's Choice?

(0) Hearts

she just doesn't like anything natural and calls them irritating. so basically, anything that is different from her own products is bad. 

but I do like her acne treatment products. salicylic acid and benzyol peroxide have right pH level and is effective but thats all 

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

She hates Origins and the GlamGlow masks. 

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Fresh too if I remember correctly and juice beauty 

lauraAM

(0) Hearts

i have started to use Paulas Choice since June 2014.  Now it is september and i cant find myself to go back to any other skin care line.  I have rosacea acne prone skin but dry.  Her line improved my skin alot.  Now I have clear glowing skin.  I use the rosacea dry line with the 2% BHA liquid.  I honestly dont think she is biased.  I have gone through other brand reviews on her website and she will say some products are best that are not her brand.  I started using the Skin Medica 1.0 retinol cream every other day.  I do have some peeling.  Paula rates this product as 'best".  I think her brand is targeting sensitive rosacea and eczema break out skin.  Paula herself had eczema.  Her products are meant to soothe and calm the skin.  It took me a long time to decide to try her skin care line but now i say i wish i tried it before.  Im 25 years now and now my family is using her skin care line too.

emmaclaire

You don't think she's biased at all?  She has to be biased, she's still selling products and if she didn't promote her own line she would be a terrible businesswoman.

andyhtrieu

Her foundation reviews bother me because some have a note at the bottom saying something along the lines of "this review is based on the foundations overall performance, not its SPF rating" and other foundations have "this foundation does not have sufficient sun protection" and then it gets a bad rated as "average" or "poor"

jcmb

I find have found myself overwhelmingly disagreeing with her on her make up reviews so I disregard them completely now. I think she should just stick with skincare.

dziggi

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Agreed. I know she gave a poor rating to Burberry eye shadows and those are some of the most positively reviewed shadows in the blogosphere. 

HarlemJPN

I agree -- I find her makeup reviews are just . . . off. 

craftzombie

I gave an honest (and no so good review) of some of her makeup and guess what? Those reviews were never posted. That speaks volumes to me. Regardless, I've had awesome results from her BHA exfoliators and her vitamin C serum. Great products so far for me, but the deception with the reviews rubs me the wrong way.

PrettyPlatypus

I take her reviews with a grain of salt because right after her reviews I would see "recommended" or whatever products, and they would all be from her line.  That makes it pretty obvious there might be a bias.  She does give a lot of information on ingredients though, but I wouldn't use her as my only source of information.

jcmb

(0) Hearts

I've been using PC Pore Reducing toner and 2% BHA liquid twice daily for about six months. What prompted me to try these products was the fact that I had pretty good skin except for my ever-enlarging pores. I tried many, many things before turning to Paula's Choice but saw no improvements until I began using these things. I am very happy with this combo and will repurchase once I run out. I probably will try one of her retinol and/or antioxidant serum products in the near future once I use up what I already have. My success with these two products has intrigued me to try more.

As for her beautipedia, I do use that as a "guide" in making decisions about skincare. But I utilize other sources as well and formulate my own decisions. For example, she does not give a good rating to Dr. Gross' Original 2-step peel but it continues to help improve my skin, esp. during the hormonal times. When I read skincare reviews from customers, I have to take them all with a grain of salt simply because our bodies react so differently to skincare products (amongst other things). Then you have to factor in type of skin, age, medical conditions, etc., etc. But when you hear overwhelmingly good things about a certain product then I think it may be worth a try. So I'd recommend one of PC's BHA exfoliants as long as you do not have any contraindications/sensitivities to salicylic acid and aspirin.

Oh, one more thing, her AHA and BHA exfoliants are 20% off until Sept. 9. If anyone's interested in trying her products for the first time, I can PM you a referral code for $10 off a min. $15 purchase. You must be a new customer. Just PM me and I'll get it to you.

peskypixie

I've battled acne for most of my 20's and tried everything (Ole Henriksen, Murad, acne.org, even the oil cleansing method). I kept seeing people mention Paula's Choice on discussion boards and finally gave it a go and her 2% BHA liquid and antioxidant serums completely cleared up my skin, acne, redness, dryness, sensitivity. The products I use that are from OTHER brands were recommended by Paula through her beautypedia reviews and have also helped me a lot.

There have been a few Paula's Choice products that didn't work for me, but everyone's skin is different and you get the option of ordering a sample of each product. I discovered her through her brand, so I can't really complain about how she's become a "salesperson" but she does a really good job of being honest about other brands and giving good recommendations for products that are easily accessible, something she doesn't profit from. 

Also, Paula's Choice is a company now, obviously, so yeah as far as testing and all that jazz Paula Begoun is not going to do it all herself.  

Bottom line, PC doesn't bash other brands or products without giving a full explanation and usually backing it up with research. As far as Paula being a salesperson and marketing her own products, how is that different from any other brand? I'll admit I'm a bit of a product junkie and I'm always looking for an excuse to buy new stuff. I have a ton of stuff that I used for a week or two and threw in the castoff pile because it either didn't work or made my skin worse (most of those products had a poor rating on beautypedia). If there's a new product I'd like to try because someone on youtube liked it or whatever, I'm always a bit annoyed when I go on PC and see that she gave it a poor rating, but then I realize that I'm only upset because it makes me think twice about buying something on impulse that I'd probably end up hating. 

snowshoe

Keep in mind that she is flogging her own Paula's Choice skincare line, so whether she's doing it intentionally or not, she's likely not going to give high marks to the competition.  

leavesofgrass

What I've learned is, you can't always judge a book by its cover, from what I understand she doesn't actually use the products she tests. She downrated Amlactin and that product has done wonders for me & other people, but according to her the PH is too high for exfoliation? Well that is strange because a lot of people have had their chicken skin cleared up w/that lotion when nothing else would work. Also about her list of irritating ingredients, from what I understand she suffered from eczema so what may be terrible for her, might work for you or I without consequence, but she puts it in a bad category anyway. Sighs not a fan anymore. I would like to try her products though since she set the bar so high.

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

keratosis? 

I use her toner and love it. I mostly use her website to find out what ingredients are in something and why it may be meh. I don't think i have sensitive skin so i can't say for sure, but i like to find products soap and fragrance free. 

HarlemJPN

[ Edited ]

I don't think she's all bad, and I don't think she's all good. Before she launched her line, I loved practically everything she said. Then she became more of a brand, more of a salesperson, and she launched her line of products. Since then, I find her more often than not to be biased, myopic, and pedantic. 

I agree with beauty4ashes below.  I like that she explains each ingredient in a product. in a sense, she "shows her math" in reaching her conclusions, something that my junior high math teachers would've given me partial credit for even if I didn't end up with the right answer. I also agree with many of the posters below, like frickfrost, that her stance on removing added fragrance from products is something many companies should mimic. For reasons like these, I feel like I need to give PC "partial credit". Though I no longer believe all she says or writes, the basis of her reasoning is often sound, if self-aggrandizing. 

also --  some of her acne products are quite good.

frickfrost

I think a lot of skincare companies out there could take some very important lessons from her. Like ridding all fragrance from skin care products. Especially facial products. I mean fragrance whether its synthetic of "natural" which is a misnomer, as there is really no such thing in the cosmetics industry. Less irritating ingredients like witch hazel and especially Alcohol or denatured alcohol. It frustrates me that companies are still putting alcohol denat in skin care products targeted for acne prone or aging skin. And everyone's skin is aging. I don't think she's the end all be all but compared to a lot of other junk out there I think she's on the ball. 

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]

"...Especially facial products. I mean fragrance whether its synthetic of "natural" which is a misnomer, as there is really no such thing in the cosmetics industry..."

There's nothing truly natural in a product once it's been processed. Natural to me by definition is slicing a raw organically grown cucumber and slapping it over your eye lids.

Certain ingredients whether to be known for decades as harmful are generally used because of its low cost. Everyone is out to make money. That's business. 

As for fragrance, I know from personal experience that if fragrance was not added to a product, no one would buy it much less put it on their faces by their noses even if it was free...the stench is overwhelming. Highly fragrant products usually have an ingredient that they're trying to cover up an odor. 

andyhtrieu

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that hates alcohol. I mentioned a few times that I don't like alcohol, SD alcohol, or denatured alcohol in my products and then someone yelled at me. LOL. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 123 replies
  • 174 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • tigerlilibet
    • itscarin
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe