Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Facial Sunscreen Causing Eye Irritation

Recently I've been having an issue where my eyes will suddenly start burning and watering ferociously. (Seriously.  I look like I'm bawling.) Over the last couple of weeks I think I've made the connection between the burning/watering and using facial sunscreen.

It started at my daughter's track meet after I applied my gold standard Neutrogena sunscreen.  I initially assumed I had applied it too close to my eyes because I used this product often over previous summers.  But then it happened again a few days later when I used Coola's Setting Spray.  Then again when I tried Murad Invisiblur.  If I go without sunscreen it doesn't happen.  

But, what doesn't make sense is that the irritation doesn't just happen shortly after application either.  I can be at Target 8 hours later and the burning and watering will start as I'm walking through the parking lot.  (Thank heaven it was in the parking lot.  Anyone who saw me probably just thought I spent too much lol!)

Thoughts?  Suggestion?  I'm very fair and can't go without sunscreen over the summer!

Re: Facial Sunscreen Causing Eye Irritation

@kalex Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Lotion (SPF 55) is my favorite sunblock for the face.  It doesn't give me a white cast, and it isn't greasy.  Be sure to try the "old" version instead of the "new" version.  Blue Lizard is also hailed for being one of the best, but I found that it paled in comparison and was much more expensive.  BBB has a good selection of sunblocks.  Best wishes!

Sometimes I have this problem, MD Solar Sciences Mineral Sunscreen is pretty good.

Try a mineral formula like the Supergoop! mineral sunscreen.  It can go all the way up to your eyes and even on eyelids.

Hi @kalex,

Just curious, are any of your sunscreens waterproof or sweat/water resistance? If you're normally oily or sweat easily, it's possible that your sunscreen may be slipping from your forehead into your eyes. I know from experience, because I sweat easily during the warmer months and I'm also normally pretty oily as well. That's why I make sure to use a waterproof/water resistant formula. If this isn't the case, I definitely suggest asking your primary healthcare physician for more info. I hope this helps!

Cheers!
Nikko

The Neutrogena is sweat/water resistant but the other products are not.  I have dry skin and wasn't working out/breaking a sweat in any of the instances where the burning/watering occurred. 

I was hoping to avoid a visit to the Dr. but since I'm about due for my annual skin check I'll make a note to bring it up with my Derm and see what he says!

This has happened to me before, but not consistently. Perhaps you're reacting to an ingredient that is common to those sunscreens? Perhaps someone that knows more about sunscreen ingredients will be able to offer more help.

In my case, I ended up getting a sample of Tarte's Tarteguard and had no issues with it at all. I've repurchased the full bottle numerous times now. I use it daily and it hasn't caused my eyes any irritation.

I have a sample of this!  Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a try.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing