Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers

Help to conceal sunken under eyes with puffy bags

How to apply concealer for hollow under eyes that have a puffy ridge underneath? Any makeup tips to help hide the shadow and puffy ridge is appreciated!

Re: Help to conceal sunken under eyes with puffy bags

Have you tried a colour corrector to help offset shadows and darkness?  I find it helps camouflage puffy bags under my deep set eyes.. The Smashbox x Becca Under Eye Brightening Corrector is a good one. I find it really helps concealers do a better job and the light reflecting properties are amazing!

IMG_0115.jpeg

For just dealing with it using makeup, here’s something to try. You’ll need concealer (your usual and a shade lighter) or concealer and highlighter (like Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter). 

- Put the lighter concealer or highlighter directly on the line of the eye bag. I know it feels like you’re enhancing it, but you’re not. 
 - Add your usual concealer above the highlighter/lighter concealer. 
- blend into the skin, try not to blend them together too much. The lighter shade/ highlight will lessen the appearance of the bags while the main concealer will do what it’s supposed to do.  

- then put on your foundation (you’re hiding the color correction underneath the foundation). If you need to, pop on some extra highlighter/ lighter concealer afterwards. 

In the photo, I’m doing just that (concealer is hauslabs; foundation is also hauslabs). Seasonal allergies mean I’m not getting it 100% hidden but it’s much better than it was pre-makeup!

I have the same “finely antiqued” under eye glam look. I saw another response mention

Natasha Denona Hy-Glam Brightening & Hydrating Medium to Full Coverage Crease Proof Serum Concealer 

In my eyes, THE all time best concealer ever! Its smooth texture and incredibly long blending capabilities can’t be compared. It doesn’t crease, if applied properly, and looks flawless all day long. 

@db839 

I have mylar bags, which won't really go away without a surgical option or neverending lymphatic massage (?).  In the morning, I usually hit them with a depuffing serum or eye mask I keep in the fridge, as coolness helps work depuffing (causes vasoconstriction).  It also just feels nice.  Then I go in with a nice, thick eye cream.

To conceal them, you're highlighting the area above the bag, basically the area right above the line or shadow, so that light draws attention away from the bag.  Wayne Goss on YT has a great tutorial on it.  Lately, I've been using a bit of brightening powder as well, just go lightly with it.

Products I like, but use your own or comparable:

SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Eye Mask Caffeine 

Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber De-Tox™ Hydra-Gel Eye Patches 

The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10% Serum for Facial Wrinkles 1 oz/ 30 mL 

Fenty Beauty by Rihanna We're Even Hydrating Longwear Waterproof Concealer 

Natasha Denona Hy-Glam Brightening & Hydrating Medium to Full Coverage Crease Proof Serum Concealer 

PAT McGRATH LABS Skin Fetish: Sublime Perfection Blurring Under Eye Powder Yellow 

belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb with Peptide and Ceramide .84 oz / 25 ml 

Trader Joe's eye cream

Here's what works for me: 

1. Prep: Clarins Total Eye cream. On very dry days, Bobbi Brown Under eye Balm

2. Concealer: Haus Labs

3. GOOD concealer brush (this makes a big difference).

4. Givenchy Prism Libre loose powder + fluffy brush (if needed)

Unlike most of the online MUAs, I never put the applicator directly to my eye. I touch the brush to the applicator to pick up very little product or I put some on my hand and pick it up from there. I dab it in a little at a time, not too thick (or else it will settle into that ridge line!). If I'm shiny, I will go in with very little loose powder, applied with a fluffy brush (not a triangle puff, I find this dries out my skin and settles in the dreaded ridge). On days where my eyes are extra puffy, I give myself 10 minutes with an eye mask that has caffeine in it. 

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos1
  • IMG_0115.jpeg
testing