Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

2024 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Week 8 - Share your body care routine!

TeamBIC_0-1704907123574.png

Happy New Year, BIC! Weโ€™re kicking off 2024 with an important reminder: we all need to take good care of ourselves โ€“ this year and beyond. ๐Ÿ˜Š Some of us may make resolutions, and others may already have their regular routines down to a tee; regardless of where you are in your self-care journey, we could all use a few extra reminders and a bit of motivation to spend a little extra T.L.C. on ourselves!

Like similar posts from previous years, weโ€™ve come up with a list of weekly prompts to challenge you to exercise your self-care skills in different ways. ๐Ÿงก We encourage you to participate and respond to the prompts that speak to you โ€“ and donโ€™t be afraid to share any other self-care tips and tricks along the way!

• Week 1 (1/10 โ€“ 1/16): Creating the perfect morning routine to start your day off right ๐ŸŒž
  • Week 2 (1/17 โ€“ 1/23): Surrounding yourself with soothing scents โœจ
  • Week 3 (1/24 โ€“ 1/30): Testing out products to promote wellness (supplements, intimate care, rollersโ€ฆ) ๐ŸŒฟ
  • Week 4 (1/31 โ€“ 2/6): Indulging in your favorite face mask(s) ๐Ÿ‘ฉ
  • Week 5 (2/7 โ€“ 2/13): Spending extra time on your hair (and scalp!) care ๐Ÿงผ
  • Week 6 (2/14 โ€“ 2/20): Cleaning up your beauty collection ๐Ÿงน
  • Week 7 (2/21 โ€“ 2/27): Improving your quality of sleep ๐Ÿ’ค
  • Week 8 (2/28 โ€“ 3/5): Focusing on body care (lotions, dry brushing, serumsโ€ฆ) ๐Ÿ›

Hit the โ€œReplyโ€ button below and let us know how you are practicing self-care!  ๐Ÿคฉ Be sure to use the โ€œ#โ€ to tag any products relevant to your answers, if applicable.  

Re: 2024 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Week 7 - Share your secrets to better sleep! ๐Ÿ˜ด

@SportyGirly125  Ah i can comment!!  Iโ€™m so stunned I forgot what I wanted to say!  ๐Ÿ˜†

The night bowling is a tough on for me as well.  I know I need the sleep but nighttime is when I can do whatever I want without interruptions.  

Re: 2024 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Week 7 - Share your secrets to better sleep! ๐Ÿ˜ด

@heartsmyface Yes exactly. I can get so much more done when the kids are sleeping. 

Re: 2024 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Week 6 - Show how you're cleaning up your beauty collection! ๐Ÿงน

I love trying different hair care products, so I have half-finished products in every category (e.g., shampoo, blow dry cream, airdry stylers, masks, etc). Using up all the products in a category before buying a new one in that category is actually my 2024 resolution.  Right now, my "target" is  IGK MISTRESS Hydrating Leave-In Conditioner Hair Balm 5 oz/ 148 mL because I have had it for several years.

Re: 2024 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Week 6 - Show how you're cleaning up your beauty collection! ๐Ÿงน

Last weekend, I went through and tossed any old, expired products. I have a terrible habit of keeping half-used products that I didn't like or forgot about because they were "meh" wayyy past their expiration date.  In the new year, I'm going to focus on using a product until it's done (if I don't like it, then I'll use it on my body) before I move on and try something else.  This also means not buying a new product until I'm done with the other since its way too tempting not to open it!! 

I love the goals your setting for yourself @amandabananda94. ๐ŸŒ ๐Ÿ‘Œ Using a product until it's done or using a product on your body if you didn't love it for your face, that sounds excellent! 

Yes am โ€œcleaning upโ€ my routine and just cleared out my old products. Itโ€™s really important to keep up on that. Iโ€™ll admit this past year I slacked on my self care, but this year Iโ€™m all in ๐Ÿ˜Š

Dโ€™oh, Iโ€™m waaay late to this yearโ€™s check-in. Iโ€™ll probably come back later with things for previous weeks. Meanwhileโ€ฆ 

Week 6 (2/14 โ€“ 2/20): Cleaning up your beauty collection ๐Ÿงน - โ€œCleaning upโ€ means a few different things to me. 

1. Washing and sanitizing: any makeup I use while I have a bacterial or viral infection (like the flu or eye infections) that can be sanitized, gets sanitized ASAP so I wonโ€™t reinfect myself. This includes using isopropyl alcohol to wipe down bullet lipsticks and pressed powder products, as well as their cases. I also wipe down brush handles and handheld mirrors. 

Makeup brushes (I donโ€™t use sponges) get true washings with Beautyblender blendercleanserยฎ solid Unscented. Between true washings, I spot clean with either BeautySoClean Conditioning Brush Cleanser or SEPHORA COLLECTION Dry Shampoo Brush Cleaner to sanitize and remove some product after each use. (I prefer the latter spray cleaner for squirrel and fox brushes.) I follow a loose schedule based on bristle type: 

Bristle typeTrue washingSpot cleaning
Squirrel, fox1-2x/monthAfter each use
Goat, kolinsky, weaselWeekly or more oftenI aim for after each use but I get lazy, so more like before each use
SyntheticAs often as possible, usually 1-2x/weekAfter each use

2. Spot checking for spoilage: kind of a pain, but I try to run through my entire makeup collection once a quarter/season with sight and smell checks of each item. Itโ€™s especially tedious for my lipstick hoard, but necessary. Some brands of lipstick bullets (Tom Ford, Chantecaille, rms, Lipstick Queenโ€”yes, I still have some old LQ bullets) tend to go bad long before others. 

3. Decluttering, or attempting to: my constant struggle when it comes to lipsticks. ๐Ÿ™ƒ A few years ago, I was a regular participant in the 100 Days of Lipstick Challenge which helped me purge around 100 lipsticks from my hoard. I keep saying Iโ€™ll rejoin that challenge because Iโ€™m in desperate need of another declutter, before all this lipstick really starts to overwhelm me. Reducing other types of makeup is much easier for me. 

4. Organizing all of the things: for 2 years, Iโ€™ve been very slowly setting up a new beauty station in my bedroom and moving all makeup out of my bathroom. Iโ€™ve been modifying part(s) of my old home office desk for this, and I keep rearranging things to figure out the most efficient solutions that work with my brainโ€™s wiring (canโ€™t hide many things in drawers or Iโ€™ll never use โ€˜em). Iโ€™m also going to replicate my bathroomโ€™s โ€œmagnetic wallโ€ in my bedroom, eventually. This will all help me keep things fairly clean. 

This is such useful information I have a hard time knowing where to start this is such a useful guide thank you so much @WinglessOne  ๐Ÿ’•

Thanks @peculiarzmakeup !

Week 6 (2/14 โ€“ 2/20): Cleaning up your beauty collection ๐Ÿงน

This is one of those action items that is a constant work in progress for me @TeamBIC. As for the actual "cleaning" part of it, I try (operative word here!! ๐Ÿ˜…) to give my brushes a good cleaning weekly or every other weekly, but the reality is that often that frequency is more of an aspirational goal for me. In reality, I get to a thorough cleaning once every couple of weeks, maybe once every 3 depending on how busy and/or lazy I get. I have a healthy ๐Ÿ˜‰ collection of makeup brushes so I sometimes just work my way through my brushes and when the supply of clean brushes starts looking a little depleted, I'll carve out some time to do a thorough cleaning ... of most of my brushes. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Now, for "cleaning up" my collection, I've been working on decluttering products from my stash for years. It's become easier of late, but my goodness, at the beginning, I would always find some way to rationalize the need to keep a product. I find myself motivated and inspired to "clean up" or make my beauty collection more streamlined by the following threads:

• Show Me Your Declutters! - my goal is to post quarterly to this thread
  • 2024 - Twelve Months of Beauty Inventory and Show Me Your Beauty Collections! - seeing everyone's collection has given me ideas for storage as well as products that I want to keep 
  • Pan It! - 2024 Challenge - having participated in a couple of these Pan It! challenges, I've learned how long it takes me to work through beauty products and that, in turn, has really made me more aware of what products I have in my collection and has motivated me to keep my collection more tight and tidy. Well, most of my collection, at least. My lip collection cannot be described with a straight face as "tight and tidy" - there are far too many beauties in that stash for that description to be accurate. lol
  • Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge - my little adventure this year with curating weekly makeup capsules has been really helpful in identifying my top shelf products and working out which products just don't or aren't working for me and, as a result, letting them go. It's also provided an opportunity to see some gorgeous capsules that other members here have curated and wow! Such beauties. Needless to say that even as more of my products have been decluttered, my list of beauty products to pick up during the spring sale has also gotten longer!! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Week 6: Cleaning up your beauty collection ๐Ÿงผ๐Ÿซง

Once every few weeks or so I like to wash my makeup brushes, I use SEPHORA COLLECTION Sigma x Sephora Brush Cleanser it's sooooo good at removing everything without being too harsh on my brushes.

I'd love to say I wash my brushes more often ๐Ÿ™ˆ but i feel good about getting it done almost monthly. It's a big job. lol ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

Organizing my collection periodically helps me keep everything neat. I seperate my products by categories, blushes togeather, lippies in thier own space etc.. If I find something I haven't used in awhile I put it out with my every day items, so I can give it some love and attention. ๐Ÿ˜‰โฃ๏ธ

@itsfi's Capsule Challenge and creating little makeup themed bundles every week has really helped keep my collection organized because I'm in it hunting for items too match the weekly challenges. ๐Ÿ™‚ So fun!

(Take a look here if that sounds interesting โญ๐Ÿ‘‡)

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge 

I love your system and method it keeps everything so neat and tidy and It motivates me to organize as well ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’• @CynthieLu 

It's a good feeling @peculiarzmakeup. I think you'd have fun sorting thorough what you have. ๐Ÿฉท

I always end up finding something I'd forgotten about, lol. ๐Ÿ˜… 

I definatley would! Itโ€™s super fun! @CynthieLu 

• Week 6 (2/14 โ€“ 2/20): Cleaning up your beauty collection ๐Ÿงน

I always do a check every couple of months to clean out old skincare and makeup items. I also like to clean/sanitize my makeup/brushes after I use them and sharpen any liners I have. 

Week 6 (2/14 โ€“ 2/20): Cleaning up your beauty collection ๐Ÿงน!

I donโ€™t clean it out!! ๐Ÿ˜… I must have a problemโ€ฆ ๐Ÿ˜

@Saradestin  I love it! Itโ€™s uniquely you โค๏ธ

Re: 2024 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Share your hair and scalp care secrets! ๐Ÿ’™

Week 5 (2/7 โ€“ 2/13): Spending extra time on your hair (and scalp!) care ๐Ÿงผ

I switch up my shampoo and conditioner about every so often, depending on what it needs. My hair and scalp care have seen the most significant changes over the years, much of it due to products I would never have known about if I had not received them along the way in a gratis package (thank you @TeamBIC). Here are the current products in my hair and scalp care lineup. Details about the products in the spoilers below each photo.

Week 5 - Hair + Scalp 1.jpg

Spoiler
 Oribe Signature Shampoo 2.5 oz / 75 mL and Oribe Signature Conditioner 1.7 oz / 50 mL are a great combination for when my hair isn't having any specific issues (dryness, oily scalp, etc.) that need attention. 

Ceremonia Guava Hydrating Leave-In Conditioner 6.7 oz / 200 mL was part of a promo gwp I picked up last year. I was surprised by how well I like this. I sometimes use it more like a mask than a leave-in. It smells wonderful and I'm finding that the guava line from Ceremonia works pretty well for my hair. 

OUAI Mini Detox Shampoo 3 oz/ 89 mL I started incorporating in my rotation on days when I need to wash out Fable & Mane HoliRootsโ„ข Pre-wash Hair Treatment Oil.  

Week 5 - Hair + Scalp 2.jpg

Spoiler
๐Ÿ amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo is a GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) product for me. It helps me not feel like I want/need to wash my hair every day. I use it on Day 2 hair (and sometimes also on Day 3 hair); it helps to absorb excess oil at my scalp and keeps my hair from looking too flat.

Ceremonia Guava Rescue Hair Heat Protectant Spray 6.7 oz / 200 mL* has been a hit for detangling and heat protection. 

I've used amika Soulfood Nourishing Hair Mask* since it first launched; my initial impressions of it then was it was okay, but since highlighting my hair, I've been appreciating its performance and benefits more. 

Briogeo Scalp Revivalโ„ข Charcoal + Tea Tree Buildup Detox Spray 4 oz / 120 ml* works well when my scalp is extra oily. 

The jury is still out on the Fable & Mane HoliRootsโ„ข Pre-wash Hair Treatment Oil*  (I'm not sure if it's best suited for my hair type) but it's performing better since I started incorporating a detox shampoo to rinse it out of my hair - thank you @Mellmars1185 for that tip!! 

Another shout out to Mellmars1185 for recommending IGK Mixed Feelings Purple Leave-In Blonde Toning Drops 1 oz/ 30 mL - I've been loving the boost it gives my hair - refreshes my highlights; great for when we're getting close to my next hair appointment. 

I'm on my second bottle of OUAI Hydrating Scalp Serum for Healthy, Fuller Looking Hair 2 oz / 60 mL. It's one of those products that I really notice the results it provides (my hair looks fuller at the crown and in front) when I've stopped using it regularly. 

Products ith an asteriks (*) after its name means the product was included in a Sephoria bag. For the most part, I've discovered some new likes (and even some new favorites) from the bag! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Re: 2024 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Share your hair and scalp care secrets! ๐Ÿ’™

That Ceremonia Guava hair mask is on my list to try @jaaayp. My hair has really liked all the products in that Guava line that I've tried. 

I just used the Guava Rescue Hair Heat Protectant this morning and it's a fantastic detangler and makes my hair soft and smooth, even when I let my hair air dry, which is what I did this morning. Doesn't weigh it down and It's definitely one I'd repurchase. ๐Ÿ‘

@itsfi I've hear so many good reviews about Ceremonia lately!  Do you have any other products from them?

17 Replies
testing