cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Last Week! - Healthy scalp and hair tips

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge

Ready or not, 2023 is here, and the Beauty Insider Community is kicking the year off the best way we know how: with our annual Self-Care Check-In Challenge! Whether or not you’re a resolution-maker, there’s something kind of satisfying about the idea of a “fresh start” 🧼 and while we’re big supporters of maintaining boundaries and practicing self-care all year round, it doesn’t hurt to have a little extra motivation to set healthy (and/or relaxing) habits.

Think of this thread as the place to check in with your fellow Community members and share how you’re practicing different types of self-care – they can be inspired by our weekly inspo prompts, or based on your own unique self-care needs or beauty intentions. If one theme doesn’t speak to you – by all means, skip it! You can still stop by to cheer on your fellow Community members! 🤗

• Week 1 (1/4-1/10): Perfecting your nighttime skincare routine
  • Week 2 (1/11-1/17): Adding some movement to your day (and post-exercise relaxation!)
  • Week 3 (1/18-1/24): Spending extra time on body care (dry brushing, exfoliating treatments, bath time?)
  • Week 4 (1/25-1/31): Organizing your beauty collection (it can be therapeutic!) 
  • Week 5 (2/1-2/7): Relaxing with home scents and candles
  • Week 6 (2/8-2/14): Experimenting with a new-to-you wellness trend (supplements, rollers, CBD…) 
  • Week 7 (2/15-2/21): Getting a good night’s sleep
  • Week 8 (2/22-2/28): Trying a healthy scalp and haircare routine ◀

Hit the reply button below and let us know – how are you practicing self-care in 2023? Don’t forget to tag any products you’re using to achieve your goals, if applicable, by using the “#” sign!

Re: 2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Let’s set some beauty intentions!

Hey. I love the formula and how it sets on my skin. Keeping my skin smooth. To me it is like a complete solution of what a serum should be. You should try it.

Excellent choices @Nozz this routine is fabulous 😍

@Nozz  Yes! I love the Estée Lauder night renewal cream!!

@Nozz you have a great routine going!  Love the variety.

@Nozz Looks like you have great products in your routine!

Great routine @Nozz!

Ahhhh let the New Year Challenges begin @TeamBIC!  

Week 1 (1/4-1/10): Perfecting your nighttime skincare routine

Spoiler

My evening routine is pretty standard in terms of the order/types of products I use, but I like to play mix and match most nights. My skin is pretty normal, although my cheeks need extra hydration throughout the year.

1. Cleanse - depending on how my skin feels, a quick oil (Hanskin or Tatcha The Camellia Oil 2-in-1 Makeup Remover & Cleanser and rinse will do. If I need something a little stronger, I use Biossance Squalane + Elderberry Nourishing Jelly Cleanser 5.07 oz / 150 mL 
  2. Wash-off Mask - for moisturizing I love Farmacy Honey Potion Plus Ceramide Hydration Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 g or Peach Slices Snail Rescue (which I use 1-2x a week). For detox, a gentle clay mask that does not dry down like Pixi Skintreats Glow Mud Mask or OLEHENRIKSEN Cold Plunge Pore Mask 3 oz/ 90 mL . For a good peel, Peter Thomas Roth FIRMx™ Exfoliating Peel Gel or alpyn beauty Mini Wild Huckleberry 8-Acid Polishing Peel Mask 0.5 oz / 15 mL. For extra pampering, I love Tatcha Violet-C Radiance Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and Leahlani's Mermaid Mask.
  3. Mist and/or Toner - a milky mist or toner (or both). 
  4. Sheet Mask - There are so many good ones out there, but one I use regularly for night time soothing is the Etude House Ceramide mask. I always keep a few masks with cica in them for adverse reactions to new productions. Heimish makes a nice one, and the Dr. Jart+ Cicapair™ Tiger Grass Calming Serum Mask 1 Mask is wonderful.
  5. Essence - Currently using Tatcha The Essence Skincare Boosting Treatment after finishing a bottle of the Son & Park Beauty Water.
  6. Serum - Some nights if my skin is on the dry side, I skip the essence and double up on serum. In that case, I use something like a Vitamin C and Acid (toggling between Trader Joe's Vitamin C Serum and Biossance Squalane + 10% Lactic Acid Resurfacing Serum 1.01 oz / 30 mL) , followed by a soothing/HA serum like fresh Tea Elixir Niacinamide & Hyaluronic Acid Anti-Aging Serum . I also like to use tGlow Recipe Watermelon Pink Juice Oil-Free Moisturizer 2 oz/ 60 mL as a serum.
  7. Moisturizer - My hands down favorite for evening is the Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream Plumping & Hydrating Moisturizer 2.5 oz / 75 ml. The scent is so soothing, and I love how I can almost feel my skin drinking it up! 
  8. Eye Cream - I am not partial to any particular product at the moment, but find the Biossance Squalane + Marine Algae Firming & Lifting Eye Cream 0.5 oz / 15 mL softening and enjoyable to apply, especially using the SEPHORA COLLECTION Vegan Eye Treatment Application Brush (thank you for the recommendation @danielledanielle!).
  9. Sleeping Mask -  Even in the summer, I find myself using at least something at a minimum on my cheeks. Two favorites are Farmacy 10% Niacinamide Night Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL (thanks for nudging me in its direction, @heartsmyface) and Hydropeptide Hydro-Lock Overnight Sleep Mask. Both perform similarly, although the HydroPeptide has a subtle citrus-sweet scent. 

Extras/Misc. The Original MakeUp Eraser Watermelon MakeUp Eraser is amazing for removing wash-off masks (thanks to @lmaster for this brilliant idea). When I have the time and energy, it is fun to experiment with my DERMAFLASH DERMAPORE Ultrasonic Pore Extractor & Serum Infuser Icy Pink. I am still on the fence about this one, but need to play around with it more. Once a month I dermaplane and use a dermaroller (on separate nights). Also: lip masks! LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C is my favorite. Just not the Gummy Bear scent.

Because I experiment with a variety of products, I have found it extremely useful to keep a skincare diary. I first began using one I received from the Rewards Bazaar a couple of years ago, and have kept up with it ever since (thanks to @SportyGirly125's help!). This has helped me to pinpoint which products or series of products have caused my skin aggravation, and also to be better prepared to calm it down.  

B0CE2D71-9DB7-4007-AE52-85AA0E742FE7.jpeg

@eshoe ,

I appreciate reading about your Routine and your Skincare Journal!  These are really helpful.  Thank you!

Awww thank you, @tsavorite. I kept on writing and writing and when I was finished, thought to myself, who reads this stuff? Hmmmmm well I guess I do, because I am here reading about everyone else’s, too😂

@eshoe Your routine is so comprehensive and is filled with great products.  I love how you’re keeping a skincare journal, now that is clever! I always thought it would be easy to remember or to go back and look at my reviews but it’s just not as easy as I thought, a journal would be so much better! Thanks for sharing about that ☺️

Oh my goodness, @bakeamuffin - if only I could go back and remember the details before starting this journal (or posting about them!). I thought the journal was a bit tedious at first, but I have come to really depend on it to help me make better (albeit small) decisions in my routine. Still learning, of course!!

I really enjoyed reading that @eshoe your routine is well thought out and those products sound lovely.  I am now curious and  wanting to try the warming honey mask 🍯 😄

I haven't tried that particular sheet mask by Dr.Jart but if it calms redness and soothes skin my cheeks might need it this winter 😉

That Farmacy mask is well-loved by many on the masking thread, @CynthieLu.

Almost any Cica mask works wonders for me when me skin is irritated, but that is one from Sephora that is worth mentioning. These are the three I currently have on hand, including the Heimish I mentioned. 

C5F4BD02-EB96-470F-89EA-69B3470C6A89.jpeg

@eshoe  Wow. I love how in-depth you went. You are using so many great products!! I agree I love using Tatcha Violet-C Radiance Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL  I love the way it makes my skin look and feel! I have been using Biossance Squalane + Marine Algae Firming & Lifting Eye Cream 0.5 oz / 15 mL  also. I really enjoy it so far!!! 

@ather I think this is my fourth jar of the Violet-C 😂 I share your love!!

Amazing routine, notes and diary! I kept some notes (in a spreadsheet, lol) for a while way back when I as trying to get my skin in order. At some point, I realized I just needed to be more consistent and not switch up more than one product at a time, and to take note if a new product messes with my skin, it’s not really worth trying to stick with it . @eshoe 

@sister13 wow this rings so true with me, too. Same concept, but for tracking empties. A couple of years (or more) really helps put things into perspective.  

@eshoe wow, you're so organized!  Love the products you chose, too.

Aww thank you, @CookieGirl1. It has taken me quite awhile to get to this point, though. It certainly did not happen overnight. Or over a few months. And it will always be a work in progress, right?! 

@eshoe ahhh, but it's so rewarding!

You are so right, @CookieGirl1🙌🏼

testing