cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Expert

hi, I’m looking for a vitamin c serum. I’m in my 60’s with dry skin. Thank you….Sally 

Ooo pretty

I saw a code the other day for 500 points with a $75 purchase. Is the code still valid and what is it? Thanks 

@furgirlmom details are below but it ended on 9/13. 

224171F5-2CB7-48DA-BF77-DA1F88F876CF.jpeg

The promo was you would get 500 bonus points to your beauty insider account when you made a $75 or more purchase. I believe yesterday was the last day you could have used it. Hope this helps!

Have oily skin and am looking for a good anti aging cream. Any suggestions?

@LilMitz  

Hi there!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out on this thread. I did some research for you and I have two that I want to show you! These two formulas differ slightly because of concerns. They both will work for oily skin! Hopefully this helps you!

1) DAMDAM Mochi Mochi Luminous Plumping Moisturizer 1.8 oz/ 50 g 

What it is: A hydrating moisturizer with Japanese shiso leaves and powerful antioxidants for skin like mochi—soft and plump-looking with a satin finish.

Skin Type: Normal, Dry, Combination, and Oily 

Skincare Concerns: Fine Lines and Wrinkles, Dryness, and Loss of Firmness and Elasticity

Formulation: Rich Cream

Highlighted Ingredients:
- Shiso Leaf: A variety of Japanese mint that delivers antioxidants and omega-3 oils while restoring moisture. 
- Phytic Acid: An AHA in Japanese rice that visibly boosts elasticity, shrinks pores, and evens skin tone. 

Ingredient Callouts: This product is vegan, cruelty-free, and comes in recyclable packaging.

2) Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 

Which skin type is it good for?
✔ Normal
✔ Oily
✔ Combination
✔ Sensitive 
What it is:
An oil-free, anti-aging water cream that releases a burst of skin-improving Japanese nutrients, powerful botanicals, and optimal hydration for poreless-looking skin. 
Solutions for: 
- Dryness 
- Pores 
- Dullness and uneven texture 
If you want to know more…
The Water Cream provides nutrient-rich, balanced hydration with the unique water-burst that breaks upon application to deliver nourishment without leaving skin sticky or greasy. It clarifies and refines skin with pure, powerful Japanese botanicals: Japanese wild rose visibly tightens pores and smooths skin texture; Japanese leopard lily helps control excess oil and purify skin by supporting natural skin turnover; and hadasei-3—an anti-aging trinity of green tea, rice, and algae—restores healthy-looking radiance. The formula imparts a subtle, shine-free glow with a touch of 23-karat gold. 
What else you need to know:
Beauty icons for over 300 years, geisha adopted Japanese wild rose to create a refined, poreless-looking canvas underneath their makeup. The Water Cream has harnessed this potent botanical to honor the original makeup lover. This pure formula is noncomedogenic, non-irritating, non-sensitizing, dermatologist tested, and cruelty-free. It is formulated without mineral oil, synthetic fragrances, sulfate detergents, urea, DEA, or TEA. 
Beauty that gives back: every Tatcha purchase you make supports girls’ education around the world. Tatcha is proud to partner with Room to Read to transform girls’ futures.—Victoria Tsai, Founder

Hi,

I have very dry and sensitive skin. I need an easy 3 step AM and PM skin care routine to make my dull dry skin look good but also with cruelty free products which are harmless on sensitive skin. I'm a new mom and might need something for under my eyes and anti ageing too.

Thanks!

@SriAtSeph 

Thank you so much for reaching out on here!! I have just the right products that are sensitve skin, fragrance free and great for your skin to help keep it looking plump and youthful! (crulety free as well)

1- The Outset Gentle Micellar Antioxidant Cleanser 5 oz / 150 mL - Am and Pm

2.- The Outset Firming Vegan Collagen Prep Serum 1 oz / 30 mL  Am and PM

3.- The Outset Smoothing Vitamin C Eye + Expression Lines Cream 0.5 oz / 15 mL  Am and PM - For undereye and expression lines.

4. The Outset Restorative Niacinamide Night Cream 1.7 oz / 50 mL  PM only after your eye cream and serum.

There is also a The Outset Daily Essentials Starter Set  for travel!

Hope this is helpful for you to get started! YOu will love these products and how simple the routine is.

Hi ElizaPRO,

Thank you so much for taking the time to suggest these. But don't you recommed a moisturizer after the serum? 

HI there!

I must have missed it! Yes I totally do!

The Outset
Nourishing Squalane Daily Moisturizer

The Outset Nourishing Squalane Daily Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL 

hi,

i have acne-prone skin and usually cover it up with a full face. i spot conceal my acne with my Too Faced Born This Way Super Coverage Multi-Use Longwear Concealer Marshmallow and then layer my Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Liquid Touch Weightless Foundation 160C over it without blending the concealer first, and this works pretty well. but on days when i want to wear something more minimal or just cover up my acne, it is difficult to maintain full coverage when i blend it, and it mostly just neutralizes the redness into fading-acne-scar gray, which looks ok, but not preferable. can you recommend ways to better cover up acne? 

thanks!

I also forgot to mention setting the makeup is key! Check out Fashion Fair Set It Loose Setting Powder !! This is a must. After you have applied your foundation and concealer make sure to lightly load the brush and tap off excess. Next, set the complexion starting from the outsides of the face to the center. and lightly under eyes and well as any expressive parts of the face like around the mouth and nose:)

@YourEnemyWatson 

Thank you so much for reaching on on this thread! Have you tried the new Haus Labs foundation? You may really love the consistency and the formula! I would suggest trying this out after a primer.

1) Primer stila One Step Correct  Primer after moisturizer

2) HAUS LABS BY LADY GAGA Triclone Skin Tech Medium Coverage Foundation with Fermented Arnica 070 Fair ...  - Shade  100 Fair Neutral or  110 Light Neutral

3) You can stick with the concealer that you have but make sure to apply after- Alternatively I think you would also really love the

SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Full Coverage Multi-Use Concealer - Clean, vegan, transferproof and crease proof shade 14P - for light skin with pink undertones:) It looks more cool in person vs the photos.

This concealer really works well all over the face for a full coverage all over look. I like to apply with a SEPHORA COLLECTION Total Coverage Original Sponge  or  Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Liquid Touch Foundation Brush  - That brush is great for applying the foundation as well:)

Hi There,

I'm a trans girl who's still in the early stages of transition. I'm probably at least a year away from having my dark facial hair dealt with via laser treatments and I'm having a hard time working out the right product combination to cover the darkness in the meantime. 

I recently went looking for a good color corrector at my local store and the associate I happened to ask for advice blew my mind by giving me advice from her own pre-transition days (thank you Sephora for making sure we're represented – it means so much, seriously). She recommended her old routine: a corrector, followed by a high(er) coverage liquid or cream foundation, followed by a powder foundation. 

I picked up the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Vanish Color Corrector Tan based on her recommendation, but my SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Liquid Foundation 23.5 P isn't cutting it on it's own (but it's is the best color match to my skin that I've ever found). Can you recommend a higher coverage foundation in the same shade and/or a good powder foundation to match? Or a better routine altogether?

Hi @AlanaNorris ,

I'm chiming in to link the new Sephora Collection concealer SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Full Coverage Multi-Use Concealer 23.5P 

Just like what Eliza mentioned, this will provide the ultimate coverage and with the same shade as your foundation, you wouldn't need to worry about the match!

Let us know how it works for you!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO Artist

HI @AlanaNorris !

We are so happy you are here and that you felt so sincerely taken care of! It warms our heart to read this. We are always here for you and ready to create a safe space where you can get the products that you need during your transition!! THANK YOU!!❤️

I love the color corrector she recommended for you!! I do agree about the amazing color range of the Sephora Collection best skin ever being sooo too good! Well coming soon is a brand new full coverage long wearing concealer that your's truly helped work on!! The shades match one to one with the foundation. So you would get the same shade but in this formula. I will tell you that this is an outstanding formula and I even suggest you getting multiple shades to brighten and contour if you want! They are truly amazing and there have been times where I have used this instead of foundation and been soo happy with the wear and coverage. 

SEPHORA COLLECTION
Best Skin Ever Full Coverage Multi-Use Concealer- Please search this up in the search bar

This launches 8/12!!!! Only a few days away! Keep the same corrector and I agree with the powder to set. I also think you would love a full coverage powder foundation for days when you just want to use the corrector concealer and then powder.

Check out #ONE/SIZE by Patrick Starrr Turn Up The Base Versatile Powder Foundation Deep 5 (N)  in shade 3 R or 2R! 

Please let us know if there is anything else you may need!

Hello!

I recently began wearing makeup. I’m having trouble making my makeup look dewy and radiant rather than cakey. Can you recommend any products for my combination acne-prone skin to get the results I want? Thank you!

Hi there @neriajuch

Welcome to the wonderful world of makeup at SEPHORA!! The first thing I always tell my glow lovers is that you want to make sure you are being really consistent with your skincare.

Make sure that you have a really good cleanser, toner, serum, Moisturizer and eye cream! I know this seems like a lot but it really does make the biggest difference in your skincare routine. 

1) SEPHORA COLLECTION The Clarifying Kit ! 

2) For a hydrating serum try #SEPHORA COLLECTION Ultra Glow Serum: Glow + Strengthen Vitamin C Serum 30 ml/ 1.01 fl oz ! This is something you can use every day after you moisturize!! (will not be too much for your combo skin) Apply a small amount after you tone!

3) for toner after you cleanse check out SEPHORA COLLECTION Clarifying Toner with Niacinamide and Zinc 5 oz / 150 mL 

4) Eye cream! I think this is a staple product! Check out SEPHORA COLLECTION Brightening Eye Cream with Caffeine and Hyaluronic Acid 0.67 oz/ 20mL 

If you do this am and pm, it truly will reflect in your makeup and skin!!

For a secret weapon for glowing skin check out Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter 2 - Fair There are several shades to check out.  Select one based on the tonality of your skin tone. This is a sheer liquid luminizer that makes your foundation look amazing.

This product can be used after primer for your combo skin, all over the face (apply with hands), or strategically placed on the high points of the face and applied using the SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Highlight Brush #98 . For this technique you can apply after foundation and lightly whisp onto the cheeks and high points of face.

For a cream blush try MILK MAKEUP Lip + Cheek Cream Blush Stick ! So easy to apply! You can choose to apply the blush after your cream highlight. Simply dot on to cheeks and tap out with fingertips.

next follow with  foundation, concealer and a light layer of setting powder in the t-zone. 

Hi,

Super new to the make up community. I am very clearly a rookie because I don't have even a basic knowledge about make up, but I want to learn! Looking at all the different products is overwhelming. Can you recommend just 3 products that I can start with for a clean make up look?

Thank you!

1,140 Replies
testing