Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

February: Winter โ„๏ธ Love ๐Ÿ’— - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@lmaster  Darn it helped with lines but too bad it was annoying ๐Ÿ˜ญ

@ather I would totally use this one again!! Regardless the results speak ๐Ÿ˜œ

@lmaster  I agree if it works I would use it again even if itโ€™s annoyingly! 

@lmaster  Too bad this one had adherence issues, but I'm glad to hear the results were worth it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Yep @Shosh85 it has that mily serum you love too

@lmaster I initially thought these had a diaper-like material, and it hit me recently-itโ€™s the exterior of foot masks that this one feels like! Weird, for sure. Happy to hear this one was worth the trouble:D

That's so true!!! @eshoe 

That's so true!!! @eshoe 

Last night I used the Abib Mild Acidic pH Sheet Mask - Aqua Fit. Of this mask line, Aqua Fit is the last I have. (There are 4 total varieties but I only bought 3.) 

I don't know why I ever bother trying to remove those YesStyle stickers. :DI don't know why I ever bother trying to remove those YesStyle stickers. ๐Ÿ˜„

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Hydrates and firms skin; "strengthens moisturizing power.โ€ Strengthens skin's immunity; adjusts skinโ€™s pH. Contains 30ml bottle of ampoule. 

Ingredients: Alcoholโ€™s high on the list, but thereโ€™s also an impressive amount of hydrators and moisturizers here. Weโ€™ve got xylityglucoside, xylitol, chondrus crispus, hollyhock, cactus flower, urea, sweet almond oil, a peptide, ceramides, and 3 forms of hyaluronic acid. (Glycerinโ€™s here too, of course, but how many sheet masks donโ€™t contain this ingredient nowadays?) Also notable is the absence of fragrance. 

Spoiler

Water, Methylpropanediol, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol, Xylitylglucoside, Sodium Hyaluronate, Xylitol, Aureobasidium Pullulans Ferment, Althaea Rosea Flower Extract, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Extract, Cereus Grandiflorus (Cactus) Flower Extract, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugarcane) Extract, Anastatica Hierochuntica Extract, Hydrolyzed Conchiolin Protein, Lactobacillus Ferment, Hyaluronic Acid, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Hydroxyacetophenone, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Allantoin, Choleth-24, Anhydroxylitol, Tromethamine, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glucose, Sodium Carboxymethyl Beta-Glucan, Sorbitan Laurate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Acetyl Dipeptide-1 Cetyl Ester, Phospholipids, Ceramide NP, Phytosterols, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Cholesterol, Phytosphingosine, Arginine, Carbomer, Caffeine, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA 

Performance: This ALBAM sheet was much softer than those of the other 2 Mild Acidic masks. I think this particular serum had a super softening effect on the sheet. I mean, it was squishy pillowy cottony cloud soft. This made it stretchier than the other sheets, so I had no problem making cover my jaw without distorting its fit anywhere else on my face. It needed no snipping anywhere. Perfect length for my face. One of the very rare masks whose eyehole inner corner notches I could press flat for a true second skin fit between the eyes, without having to tailor anything. 

The gel serum didnโ€™t drip off the sheet but was abundant; there was hardly any left behind in the sleeve. When I pulled the sheet from the sleeve, I caught a very faint pear-like scent. I never smelled it again the whole 40 minutes of wear. Even 40 minutes wasnโ€™t enough to dry out this sheet: when I removed it, my face was very serum saturated and the sheet was still very wet. I wrapped the sheet around the front of my neck and spent 4 minutes massaging/pressing residual serum into my face. Afterward, I was still able to squeeze a handful of serum from the sheet, which my legs, arms, and shoulders appreciated. Once all serum had soaked into my skin, I had some mild tack and no pilling anywhere. 

Results: Dewy, glowing, well hydrated, and very moisturized skin that did feel slightly firmer, but the main events here were definitely hydration and moisturization. My oily zone (on and around my nose) was just over the edge of smothered: not fully swamped, but that skin felt heavier than usual, if that makes sense. I woke up this morning to a grease pit in the middle of my face, and my forehead was more oily than usual. (My forehead's usually dry-leaning in cold weather and normal to oily-leaning in warm weather.) That nixes this mask for warm weather use, but I think it'll work better for me in deep freeze temps. My dry zones loved it, but itโ€™s too much for my oily zone to handle in warm weather. Iโ€™m ordering a box of this mask to try once temps plummet. 

Ranking the Abib Mild Acidic pH masks I've tried, for those keeping score: 

1. Heartleaf Fit - Super soother. Also a dang good hydrator that balanced my dry and oily zones. Only thing keeping it from 100 points is a minor fit issue. Should be great year round. 
  2. Honey Fit - Humectant hero. A pleasure to use despite minor fit issues. My new gold standard for the honey mask category. Will be great come late autumn. 
  3. Aqua Fit - Mega moisturizer. Hydrated very well but swamped my oily zone. Folks with a full face of dry skin might love this one year round. For me, it'll be a nice deep freeze weather mask. 

Thereโ€™s a 4th Mild Acidic pH mask but I didnโ€™t buy it and won't try it: Yuja Fit, which features citrus oils. If someone else tries that one, I'd love to hear feedback on it. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

I also have one of Abib's Gummy Sheet Masks to try: the Madecassoside Sticker. I wanted the Aqua Sticker instead, but YesStyle had sold out of them. ๐Ÿ˜ž The cica version claims to be soothing, of course, but it contains an essential oil (rosewood) plus linalool, so I'm not sure how truly soothing it can be. Guess I'll find out soon. 

Ingredients-wise, the Gummy Sticker line doesnโ€™t look as good as the Mild Acidic pH line, at least not for my particular skin. The Creme Coating Mask line looks even worse to me. But Iโ€™m happy to stick with the Mild Acidic pH masks. ๐Ÿ™‚ I especially hope Abib never stops making the Heartleaf Fit mask, or never adds bad stuff to its formulation. 

I see Abib still makes a milk cleansing bar. They must've reformulated it, because the last time I looked at it (last year, I think) it included some yucky stuff my face would've hated. The ingredients look much better now. Though my dry zones generally hate foam cleansers, I'd love to have a solid bar cleanser for travel purposes (I could just slice a bit off the bar), so... I might have to order this direct from Abib. None of their other cleansing bars look as good (for me) as this one, in terms of ingredients. 

Taking notes on your ranking @WinglessOne! ๐Ÿ˜Š 

@WinglessOne  Too bad it made your oily areas too oily. Might be the perfect mask for the winter like you noted!! Or for someone who has Sahara desert skin!! 

Ok I am going to find the Heartleaf Fit, @WinglessOne. Interesting that xylitol is an ingredient, I mean...it helps things taste better, right? Okay, just took a peek on Paulaโ€™s Choice: it apparently โ€œhydrates and helps strengthen skin's barrier.โ€ I like!

@WinglessOne  These all sound so great! I really want to try these, but because of places like TJ Maxx, I've become too cheap to spend almost $5 on one mask. Haha! Also, I saw that they had sets of each type for around $34, but I couldn't find where it said how many masks you get for that price?

@Shosh85  Heh, I hear you. Olive Young has the single Heartleaf Fit and Yuja Fit masks on sale for USD $3 right now. They also have 10-mask boxes of Honey Fit and Aqua Fit marked down to $26.40. Kinda weird that all single and boxed varieties aren't equally on sale, but whatever. $26.40 is better than the full retail price, but it's still waaay over the usual TJM box price of masks. Oh, and they have a 5-mask set of Heartleaf Fit for $9.90. The only problem with Olive Young is their $60 minimum for free shipping. ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

@WinglessOne  Those darn shipping minimums! .... I'm too cheap for that too! Haha! .... but in all likelihood, I'll eventually cave and get these masks anyway - 'cause I'm weak ๐Ÿ˜‚

A&Z is for AnimalZMasque Bar Pretty Animals -- Penguin Purifying Sheet MaskMasque Bar Pretty Animals -- Penguin Purifying Sheet Mask

Spoiler
For masking pet peeves, I am not a sheet mask gal, so mostly the whole category belongs in here (I know, thats kind of blasphemy).

Bonuses: Mostly okay fit (a little floppy under the nose) and not too scented despite fragrance being listed in the ingredient list. Generally adorbs.
This is supposed to be a purifying mask. From the ingredients it seems like it uses extracts to help polish the face. I can have some sensitivity to exfoliators, so I kept checking in, but it took until about 25 minutes (it is recommended to be worn 10-20 minutes, but I like to keep on sheet masks until it dries) for it to start to tingle, at which point I removed. There wasn't a ton of extra serum to rub in, but it wasn't too tacky. My fave afterward didn't really feel different, maybe a little smoother? 2.5/5.

Ingredients20200630_013236.jpg

Fit 20200630_014441.jpg

Youโ€™re a trooper for using a sheet mask @haleyvvvv. I know itโ€™s not everyoneโ€™s cup of tea. The animalz masks have some really adorable packaging and mask designs, but I think your 2.5/5 assessment is spot on. 

Thank you, @itsfi!!

@haleyvvvv  Too bad this didnโ€™t wow you to become a sheet masker! But it is a super cute print!! 

Thank you, @ather!! I think I cast sheet masks with a wide net. I actually like hydro gels and rubbers ones. This was worth it only for cuteness though.

@haleyvvvv  I can't not comment on the adorableness. ๐Ÿ˜

I don't see any exfoliants in the ingredients... I do see a couple of astringents, which I guess count toward the "purifying" claim. Sorry this one didn't do much for you. I hate it when a 20+ minute masking session yields little to no results. At least you got a great selfie moment from it! 

21,336 Replies
testing