Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@CookieGirl1  Hi this has no scent at all โ˜น๏ธ. It would be nice to have a coconut scent!

@Cissy63, a hydrating and soothing mask is always a plus, in my eyes. Great to hear this is one that performed well for your skin. Have you tried other sheet masks from the Sephora Collection? Curious to know if there's any varieties or flavors you prefer more than others. 

@itsfi  Thank you ๐ŸŒบ. Yes I have tried the Grapefruit, Pomegranate, Matcha, Lychee masks. And eye masks caffeine, and I think 2 others but I donโ€™t remember the names offhand. 

@Cissy63 

Soft and smooth skin is a great result. Did this smell like coconuts?

@missy94612  Thank you ๐ŸŒบ. No it had no fragrance โ˜น๏ธ

@Cissy63  Sounds like it turned out nice! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85  Yes, this mask has been helpful. ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ

These Sephora Collection masks were part of my masking routine last week and satisfy a few of this month's letter themes Q - V - Q for quick (5 minutes); S for Sephora; V for Vitamins.

Sephora Collection Vitamin Masks (collage).jpg

Details: 

Spoiler
Material:Banana fiber; has a pale yellow hue to the material 
Adherence:Good - adhered nicely to the contours of my face, no puckering or lifting
Fit:Interesting in that the size and shape of the mask is the opposite of the fit of most sheet masks I've used. Here, there was extra material at the temples - a lot of extra material, about an inch too wide. The length at the chin/jawline was just a smidge too long. 

Openings for the eyes and mouth were generously sized which was great - neither my eyes nor mouth felt smooshed. 

There's a lot of extra material over the area between the eyes, almost double the size of my nose bridge with the papaya masks. The mango and dragon fruit versions were also large in that extra, not as much as the papaya but there was plenty of extra material.

Essence / Serum:Clear, slightly viscous, liquid. There was just enough to coat the sheet; no extra essence in the packet other than what you might be able to scrape up against the interior of the packet.

Scent:None of these masks smelled like the fruit that is held out as the key ingredient. Odd especially since all these masks include added fragrance - it's fairly high up on the ingredient list, within the top half.

ClaimsPapaya + Vitamin C - Glow
Dragon Fruit + Vitamin B3 - Anti-pollution
Mango + Vitamin B6 - Nourishing

PerformanceRecommended wear time is 5 minutes but there's enough serum to allow for a full 10 minutes of wear (maybe 15 for those with oily or very oily skin). Mask wore comfortably. I felt a little tickle early on with the Papaya mask but not with the other two. 

Results:With all 3 varieties, my skin felt hydrated and looked brightened. There is a layer of essence remaining after the 5 minutes of wear but it absorbs quickly and smoothing, with zero tack or stickiness. Of the three, my favorite was the SEPHORA COLLECTION Vitamin Face Masks Mango + Vitamin B6 - that felt like it lived up to its nourishing claim

My skin was brightened with the SEPHORA COLLECTION Vitamin Face Masks Papaya + Vitamin C  (as it was with all of the masks I tried) but I wouldn't say the papaya one made my skin glow like other sheet masks have. I like the effects of the papaya peel from the Sephora Collection (SEPHORA COLLECTION AHA Peeling Masks Papaya) and would recommend that over this mask if a more glowy complexion is what you're afte

As for the SEPHORA COLLECTION Vitamin Face Masks Dragonfruit + Vitamin B3, I'm not sure how to measure if a mask lived up to its claims when the claim is "anti-pollution". That seems like something that would require a more than a single use as well as some objective standard to measure it against

Best suited for:Most, if not all, skin types. The sheet isn't saturated with serum; there's just enough to coat the sheet so there's not an issue of there being too much to clog pores, etc. Those with dry or very dry skin will need to follow up with a moisturizer.

Repurchase?No. These masks performed well enough and the results were fine; nothing bad, but nothing particularly standout. At $5.50, it's on the higher end of sheet masks. The draw of this mask seems to be the banana fiber material and the fact that the serum is enriched with vitamins. Both are great things but I'm not certain it warrants the over $5 price point. If there's a 30% promotion taking place, it might be a good way to try one of these masks (and I'd recommend the mango version) but even then, the price seems a bit steep. 

Sephora Collection vitamin line mask.jpg
Differences between the vitamin line and the older clean line:
Spoiler
* MATERIAL: the masks in this vitamin line are made of banana fiber (the ones in the clean line are made of eucalyptus fibers) 

* COLOR: the masks in this vitamin line have a yellow tint to them 

* SIZE: the masks in this vitamin line are much wider at the temples and just a smidge longer at the chin/jawline (the reverse is the case with the clean line) 

* OPENINGS: the openings for the eyes and mouth in this line are much wider making it more comfortable to wear 

* MATERIAL BETWEEN EYES: The vitamin masks have a lot more extra material covering the area between the eyes (the nose bridge) than the masks in the clean line. 

* MATERIAL OVER PHILTRUM (Between Nose & Upper Lip): Vitamin masks have less material covering this area than the masks in the clean line. 

* SERUM: Just enough to coat the sheet; no extra in the packet in vitamin line. Older clean line was saturated in serum, with extra at bottom of packet.
NOTE: I did not try the SEPHORA COLLECTION Vitamin Face Masks Aloe Vera + Vitamin B  from the new vitamin line. The vitamin line is also deemed "clean" by Sephora standards. It's just in a range separate from the "clean" line

Well that's a bummer!! Sometimes the newer versions don't stand up to the OGs @itsfi ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Yeah @lmaster; a little bit of a let down. I was also surprised these have added fragrance in them. Most of the refomulations of the skincare products in the Sephora Collection have removed added fragrance and I thought that might be the case with the ones from this vitamin line. 

@itsfi 

I don't think we've done a banana fibre sheet mask; it sounds good. It's too bad these didn't smell like the fruit.

@missy94612, this was the first time I've used a banana fiber mask as well, or as far as I recall. The material was nice - good adherence. I don't have any dealbreaker issues with these masks; I'm just not sure they standout among the sea of sheet masks out there and I have a host of masks that I like for filler masks already. If you do try one of the masks from this line, I'd love to hear what you and your husband think about it.

@itsfi 

I've no doubt my husband will want to try one. LOL. 

@itsfi 

Woah, lots of good info. It's a bummer these didn't smell like the fruit, and that they were just okay. The flavors sounded really good.

@nuinui933, thank you. It was fun to do this comparison but yes, if only the scent matched the fruit. That would have been a plus!! 

Love this comparison, @itsfi! I almost wish they had more of a fruity scent though, if they are going to add in fragrance anyway. 

Exactly @quspork! 100% agree. Iโ€™m always a little confused how the QC process works when it comes to the disconnect with the scent from the fragrance they add and the scent you would expect to get from a particular key ingredient. ๐Ÿค” I mean, donโ€™t get me wrong, Iโ€™m perfectly on board if snail ๐ŸŒ mucin masks smell like something else (I mean bring on a floral or signature sheet mask scent) ๐Ÿ˜† but when it comes to floral or fruit centered sheet masks, it wouldnโ€™t hurt if they smelled like the flower or the fruit in question. 

Exactly, @itsfi and I'm even fine with masks that have no real scent or just that basic sheet mask scent, but if you're going to the trouble of adding fragrance anyway... Doesn't it just make sense to add something pleasant and similar to the named key ingredient of the mask?! ๐Ÿค”

@quspork, it makes all the sense in the world to me - match the added fragrance to the scent of the key ingredient. It's so interesting how that is not often the case. ๐Ÿ˜† It makes me wonder if scent/smell is a trait that is evaluated when doing a quality control test for sheet masks. 

@itsfi  This is a terrific review.  Breaking this group down really helps.  Your comment about anti-pollution is right.  Just how can it be measured.  Glad you enjoyed good results ๐Ÿ˜€

Awww, thank you @Cissy63! ๐Ÿ˜Š Whenever I see new sheet masks from the brand, I always wonder how it compares to the older ones. And well, there's only one way to really know, right? ๐Ÿ˜†

Yeah, I'm not sure about the anti-pollution masks - I mean, if I wear the mask will it stop pollution? I think not.. Around the time I first started getting into sheet masks, the idea of "anti-polluaging" skincare was trending. I think "anti-polluaging" is a better term, the idea being that the mask contains skincare ingredients that are meant to reduce or cancel out the harmful or negative effects to our skin as a result of environmental pollutants. I also liked  the "anti-polluaging" term because it seems like an excellent Scrabble word. Hahaha! It also does sound better than anti-pollution in my mind at least. 

1 Reply
testing