Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@minathayes 

that's a great feat to get through all those sheet masks. Kudos to you! Do these come in smaller packs?

@missy94612 

I have seen 7 and 10 packs before.

@minathayes  less waste is a good bonus when alot of this type of wonderful skin care does at times result in a fair bit of packaging. I'm really curious too about your facial day ๐Ÿ™‚ I'd love to hear about it about it ๐Ÿ˜

That sounds nice and nourishing for dry skin, @minathayes! I do wish we saw more options for multipacks to cut down on the packaging with so many sheet masks. 

Thatโ€™s interesting @minathayes! It seems like a great way to test whether a sheet mask actually provides lasting results ! 

@minathayes, oh, 40 sheet masks is a lot. That must be a pretty sizeable bag to hold that many sheets. I'm super curious about your weekly facial day - would love to hear what you include in your facial days.

Oh gosh, I am very sorry for the delayed response. I've had family here for a couple of months. 

This is my daily nighttime regimen -

1 โ€“ Cleanse & Exfoliate โ€“ Shu Uemura Ultime8 Sublime Beauty Cleansing Oil & Sekkisei White Powder Wash

2 โ€“ Essence โ€“ I use SK-II Treatment Essence

3 โ€“ Facial Oil - Cle de Peau Radiant Multi Repair Oil 

4 โ€“ Eye Gel โ€“ Decorte Liposome Eye Cream or Shiseido Future Solution LX Eye and Lip Contour Regenerating  Cream

5 โ€“ Treatment โ€“ It changes depending on what my skin might be going through but a common treatment is focused on anti aging ingredients or products and it often a sheet mask of some sort. I usually go back and forth through SK-II Treatment Mask or a Kose collagen mask or Ishizawa Lab Keana Nadeshiko Rice Face Mask but try other masks as I come across them.

6 โ€“ Overnight Mask โ€“ Axxzia AG Theory Mask

On nights I do a facial โ€“ at least once a week, sometimes 2 or 3, either as an alternative to the sheet mask step or after that step if my skin is really having a dry moment, Iโ€™ll give myself a facial massage โ€“ after the serum from the sheet mask has fully absorbed, Iโ€™ll apply a facial milk - Koh Gen Do Macro Vintage Royal Massage Milk has been a  favorite โ€“ and give myself a facial massage to release muscle tension and stress and get in some lymph node drainage.

@itsfi @Cissy63 @eshoe 

Combining a couple of themes, current and from a previous month, with these masks. Wash off mask is a forgotten wonder and the sheet mask is BIC inspired, originally from the fabulous @Shosh85 a few years back - my gosh, has it really been a few years?!. It's seen a resurgence with it being used by a couple of maskers like @Cissy63 and @QueenMarceline (I think that's right; if I've forgotten someone, I'm so sorry.)
BIC Inspired - Banana theme.jpg

Wash Off Mask:
Spoiler
I love the nourishing consistency of the Skinfood Honey Sugar Food Mask. Due to honey being so high up on the INCI list (itโ€™s #5, before water), the product has a thick, slightly sticky consistency. Despite this, it spreads easily, wears comfortably for the 10 minutes I have it on before rinsing with a lukewarm wash cloth, and it smells softly of honey. There are granules scattered throughout the mask, not a lot, just enough to get in some gentle physical exfoliation - thereโ€™s more in the strawberry scrub mask from the line and in the original version of this scrub mask. My skin feels soft and smooth, hydrated and nourished. If you like powerhouse exfoliators this will be a pass for you. If you prefer a more gentle scrub or your skin is dry or sensitive, this is a lovely exfoliating mask to look into.
thumbnail_Skinfood honey scrub mask.jpg
Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
First thing that jumps at you when you open up the Ulta Beauty Banana Sheet Mask is the yummy scent of banana candy - it's a cross between banana runts and banana Laffy Taffy. Sweet banana candy - smells delicious! But it is fleeting; the scent all but disappears by the time you've placed the mask on your face, which is usually how it works with most sheet masks.

The sheet is what I'd consider to be medium thick in heft/weight; standard for most sheet mask. Adherence is good and fit is also what I expect of a standard sheet mask, which for me means too short at the forehead, too long at the chin/jawline and a smidge too wide at the temples. All things that can be easily addressed with a few snips here and there. The openings for the eyes and mouth are pretty decent in size and with moving the material around a smidge, it works out pretty well. 

I had this mask on for about 20 minutes; my skin has been rather dehydrated and it slurped up much of the essence, and instead of trying to push it out for anther 10, I just opted to remove the mask and press and pat in the remaining essence, which was quickly absorbed by my skin, and with just the slightest tack to the touch. My skin felt soft, hydrated and bouncy.  I like this mask enough to repurchase it again, but it's not a mask I'd rush out to pick up. It's a mask I like, but not one that I'd say I love.That said, I can see why this mask is so well liked by many maskers here.

@itsfi 

Banana candy sounds yummy.

Oh I am so glad you reviewed the Honey Sugar mask, @itsfi. I have held off on it as the Black Sugar is chock-full of granules, and isnโ€™t something I can use regularly. I might need to try this one soon.

@eshoe, yeah, sometimes too many granules can be a bad idea. Have you tried using the original as just a cleanser, taking just a small amount and mixing it with a cleaning oil? Or, to use as a mask, taking a little from the jar and mixing it with a creamy, hydrating mask like Summer Friday Jet Lag or even the Peach Slices snail mask? Youโ€™d get some physical exfoliation as you spread the blended product onto your skin but the hydrating mask would add a bit of buffer to the scribbles as youโ€™re massaging the products onto your face.

Hmm, no, I had not considered something like that, @itsfi. What a great suggestion! I need to buy another jar of the Peach Slices as I am almost out (again), and this gives me even more reason to do that asap. Usually I just repurchase extra-scrubby face masks as body exfoliators, but I like this ideaโ˜บ๏ธ

@eshoe, extra scrubby or harsh face exfoliators work great as body scrubs! I feel like I have a backlog of body scrubs for this reason! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

I suppose having exceptionally smooth skin would be a side effect of this backlog then too, @itsfi - fine by me ๐Ÿ˜‰โ˜บ๏ธ

@itsfi love that banana mask!!

@lmaster, youโ€™re in good company; itโ€™s well regarded by many of our fellow maskers.

@itsfi  Oooo I love a forgotten wonder! This masking sesh sounds Devine! 

@ather, at one point, I had so many masks, they were, as @missjeanie has once said, almost all forgotten wonders! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have a more manageable lot now with mainly mask packs and a handful of individual sheet masks, many tried-and-true and a handful of new ones that I've picked up out of curiosity as well as a few BIC inspired / enabled sheets. Banana and honey, ather, that's a good combo! I think honey will be making more of an appearnace in my masks this fall and winter. ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿฏ

banana_despicable_me

Yes to all the bananas, @itsfi. The Ulta one is a nice one to have around for when you need something yummy smelling. How do you like the Le Paradis balm? (and have you tried the watermelon version as well??) 

Love this gif @quspork! It put a smile on my face. I love the Le Paradis lip balms - the banana and the watermelon one - it's balmy but not greasy or sticky, and my lips feel hydrated and lightly moisturized. It says it imparts high shine but I think it's more of a sheen; it's not a gloss or lacquer. The balms are packaged in a metal aluminum (?) tube, which is great from a sustainability but in the warmer months, it can be problematic. I do hope they bring out other flavors but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. They have a very small, selectively curated collection of products - all deliciously scented. They just released a face oil; I'm debating over it. Fragrance, naturally derived or otherwise, is not something I mind in my body care products, hair care, and fragrance, but when it comes to face products, other than the lips, I'm a bit more careful and picky. @missy94612 

Thanks for the review, @itsfi! I haven't tried the brand, but I think I'll be adding them to my list to check out over my holiday spending time coming up, haha!

3 Replies
testing