Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi  I agree!!! 

@itsfi Oh I'm so glad that you loved the Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm Trio !  It's been a love of mine since I tried that same sample.  I'll be watching your hauls ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

"hauls," you say @missjeanie?! What makes you think I'll make multiple ones? Because you know me! Hahaha! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have lost count of the number of times that I've told myself that it'll just be one haul this year and then ... 

I think the trio set is OOS in the US so it'll be the vanilla one for me, maybe the vanilla beige variety too, for the spring sale. ๐Ÿ›’  Speaking of which, I really need to firm up that "final" list for the first sale haul! ๐Ÿ˜‰ There's usually something new that drops during the sale so I'm pretty sure there will be a second sale haul. ๐Ÿ›

@itsfi @I always feel like thatโ€™s the hard thing about super expensive masks! The expectations are so much higher - thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

i really wish there were more mini expensive masks - I love trying them but youโ€™re right, not at $85 

@Kim888, oh yes, more mini masks would be wonderful! Probably unlikely though since it's not very practical for companies to do so. I've seen DS of Chantecaille skincare products occasionally in some promo / gwp but it's not always their masks. 

Yeah, $85 is a bit steep for a mask for me. This raises an interesting question though - how much money would you or have you spent on a mask that you really liked? ๐Ÿค”

@itsfi well I caved and order the May lindstrom problem solver recently which is $100 so thatโ€™s quite steep, but I know I like it from samples a little goes a long way. the Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacialโ„ข AHA + BHA Mask 1.69 oz/ 50 mL is quite spendy too. 

i guess I donโ€™t have an issue if itโ€™s something I love, but I need the mini to find out! 

whatโ€™s the most expensive youโ€™ve bought ?

@Kim888, yes, DE Babyfacial is spendy, but it's such a good mask! I've been seeing more AHA / BHA masks being released so it'll be interesting to see how the new products compare to Babyfacial.

The most expensive mask I've purchased is Sisley-Paris Black Rose Cream Mask. I used a foil sample first and liked it, then found a DS promo sample. I eventually picked up a full size at a discounted price, through Costco of all places. I finished the tube last year. I used it as a sleeping mask and it was luxe and lovely, but I have plenty of sleeping masks that I'm working through. I wouldn't balk at repurchasing the Sisley, but need to make more dents in my collection of sleeping masks first.

Sigh. Yes, @itsfi, this Chantecaille was one I tried, and really, really enjoyed. I share many of your sentiments. Including, โ€˜Would I enjoy it at $85. No.โ€™ That being said, I keep my eyes open for any hints of a sale, or kits that might include a smaller version of it. Taking a little mental note to share the info if it does!

@eshoe, it's a beautiful formulation. It's great that Chantecaille has sales throughout the year through its direct site or other retailers so there's always opportunities during the year to pick it (and other treats) up at a discount and occasionally a promo gwp. ๐Ÿ‘

@itsfi  I was totally on board for this detox mask until I saw the price. Although I donโ€™t mind paying for great products I donโ€™t know if I could justify it when there are comparable masks at a fraction of the cost. I definitely agree with you on the donโ€™t despair repair. It is truly such a great hair mask. I tend to select those samples if I see them!! Perfect for taking with me when I travel!!! Ahhh and Summer Fridays. I have definitely become a fan girl. I really love everything this brand encompasses. Also their lip balm is probably my fav!!! I can see why they have grown so much!!! 

@ather, Summer Fridays have definitely been strategic in the growth of their brand - they seem methodical in their approach to product launches, and what they have put out seems to have been hits. I haven't tried a lot of their new products but that's more because I have an already very healthy assortment of skincare treats on hand to work through. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I will, however, be keeping track of what goodies of theirs you find to your liking! 

Ohhh Chantecaille. I'm a lot more familiar with their makeup products, have always had something in my collection from the brand for some time, and have even repurchased a couple of items. Like you said, if it's something that I like, I'm willing to pay their price for it (though full disclosure, I'll buy when there's a sale or I have rewards points/notes/gift cards to spend ๐Ÿ˜‚). There are other detox masks, though, that perform well enough for me at a more friendly price point that I feel like this is more of a "nice to have" but not a "must have" product. my wallet is breathing a sigh of relief. lol.

@itsfi  I definitely agree. Pretty sure my wallet is thanking me too. I havenโ€™t tried any products from this line yet. Iโ€™m sure I will. Even with makeup Iโ€™m trying to use what I have before purchasing more. But if I see something I must have Iโ€™m sure Iโ€™ll cave and get it!!! 

Last night for the Multi-Step Masking Challenge, I found this Byvibes Wonderbath x Chosungah Super Vegitoks Mask, a leftover from the motm box. But first, the wash-off!

9748FE56-038B-4871-A703-185AB9D6F4B7.jpeg

Spoiler

This Ole Henriksen Berry Nurturing Gel Mask is a three-peat purchase for me. After this jar, I think I will be taking a break from it, although I may pick it up again at a later time. Despite it being touted as an enzyme mask, I have never experienced the redness I often do with other similar fruit-acid type masks. It seems to be extremely gentle, even when left on 30+ minutes. The โ€œBerryโ€ part of the name is a little deceiving if one is hoping for a scent along that line. It has a rather noticeable lavender scent, which is fine but something to note if that is not your thing. It is in fact only eighth on a rather short list of ingredients. This is yet another mask chock full of extracts and oils, which can also be bothersome for sensitive skin maskers. I am working on finishing the LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Gummy Bear with a goal of the end of the year so I can move on to a more enjoyable flavor.

Ingredients:

Spoiler

Water/Aqua/Eau, Glycereth-7, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Potassium Sorbate, Allantoin, Panthenol, Sodium PCA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Maltodextrin, Papain, Bromelain, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Propylene Glycol, Rubus Villosus (Blackberry) Fruit Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower, Alcohol, Citric Acid, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Tocopherol, Linalool.

Before using the OH, I opened Step 1 of my sheet mask, a cleanser. I wasnโ€™t too excited about it, but my outlook changed when I saw the rich, eggplant-hued gel.

0822E730-50FC-4E7A-BBB6-8459A7BD01EF.jpeg

As I applied the clean, fresh-scented (think belief sleeping mask) gel to my skin, it began to gently foam and turn a pretty pale lavender. What an absolute surprise! After rinsing, my skin felt softened which was a another welcomed surprise. After removing the OH, misting and patting on toner, I opened the Second step, the sheet mask.

I did not detect a scent, although there may have been a generic sheet mask-ness about it. It was saturated in a slimy, clear serum, and fit and adhered beautifully to my skin. The sheet itself had a slight violet tint, although the serum appeared clear. I left this on close to 25 minutes, and after removing, my skin felt very happy and hydrated. I loved this one and will be on the lookout for others by the same brand. Thank you to whoever put this in the box last year!

Sheet Mask Ingredients:

Spoiler
02D9C624-2DE3-4FE8-AB20-FF0B36158DBE.jpeg

@eshoe ohhhh that two step mask looks very very intriguing!!

I would 10/10 buy the cleanser all on its own, @lmaster. It was very pleasant!

@eshoe 

The Ole Henriksen berry gel mask sounds good. I don't think I've ever seen it before. I like your purple color vibe here! ๐Ÿ’œ

@nuinui933 OH makes a few good masks, I like to think๐Ÿ˜„ The OLEHENRIKSEN Cold Plunge Pore Mask 3 oz/ 90 mL is a cool one for summer. They seem to almost always be scented, which can be a deal breaker for many. 

And thank you ๐Ÿ’œโ˜บ๏ธ

@eshoe @Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the ole berry mask - I canโ€™t remember seeing any reviews on that! 

You are welcome, @Kim888@heartsmyface  has also used this one in the past, she might have some thoughts on it as well.

@eshoe  Oh friend I am so happy to see your post! I feel like Iโ€™ve been a bit absent on this thread lately since I wasnโ€™t able to mask for the past few weeks but I think I will start again tomorrow!! I have missed you! The 2 step mask looks super interesting. Iโ€™m glad you were pleasantly surprised!! Itโ€™s to bad you werenโ€™t a fan of the gummy bear. Mine smells like grape kook aid but I do remember some saying they got a different scent. The OE surprisingly I have never heard but once Iโ€™m through all my other wash off masks I may need to try it out!!! 

@ather so happy to see you and especially to hear that your skin is returning to normal ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

I get a grape scent form the Laneige, one that reminds me of childrenโ€™s ibuprofen. As a result, my daughter also does not care for it when I wear it, as it is fairly strong ๐Ÿ˜‚ But I know better than to restock anytime soon, although it takes some willpower to resist.

testing