Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@lmaster  Did you use the Maple one or the Ice Cream one? ๐Ÿค” (You wrote Ice Cream, but it sounds like your review is of the Maple one) 

Have you tried any of the others? Glad you liked this one! I love how much slimy essence is in these!

@Shosh85 ๐Ÿ˜† I wrote ice cream because it looks like a waffle cone on the package ๐Ÿ˜‰

@lmaster  Oh, gotcha! Love waffle cones!๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ˜‹I just used the Ice Cream mask from this line, so that's what my brain automatically thought of ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh how I wish they smelled like the name!! @Shosh85 

@lmaster  So far the honey one is my favorite- the scent is sooo good! ๐Ÿฏ

Nom nom @lmaster - I always get hungry when I look at this mask line haha. Glad it worked well for you!

Doesn't it though!! @Kim888 thank you!

So happy to hear that this mask worked out for you, @lmaster! How do you feel it compares to the Facetory waffle-style mask? 

Thank you so much again!! @eshoe this one I feel is a bit heavier in terms of the gel, and the adherence was perfect

From this past Saturday, H is for honey and a hair mask duel! ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿป

Left: original honey version; Right: new vegan apple-honeyLeft: original honey version; Right: new vegan apple-honey

Original Honey Bear vs. Vegan Apple-Honey Bear:

Spoiler

Testing Conditions: I applied the original honey bear version to the left side of my head and the new vegan apple-honey version to the right side.

Packaging
: The bear is back, again as a limited edition. Although both bottles are the same weight, to my eye, the actual packaging of the original honey version appears slightly more plump.

Consistency: As you'll see from the photo below, there's a difference in texture - the new apple-honey version looks lighter, creamier and smoother in consistency. This difference isn't really noticeable when the product is dispensed from the bottle.

Scent: I looooove the scent on the original honey bear ~ the warm, slightly sweet, creamy honey and vanilla scent smells amazing and it's something my nose picks up immediately when I have the original honey hair mask on hand. The new, vegan bear does not smell the same. I wouldn't say it smells bad; just different. It's a lighter scent than the original. It does not have that same creaminess that I associate with the original. Instead, there's a slight not-overly-sweet fruit bent to it, along with maybe just a tinge of something herbaceous/botanical and floral, but just a smidge. Again, not a bad scent. Where the scent on the original makes me happy and elicits a smile along with an "ahhh!", inhaling the scent on this vegan version makes me pause, tilt my head and think "hmmm...not the same...but it's fine."

Performance + Results: Generally similar. Despite the slight difference in how the consistency appears, both formulations apply smoothly. They are easy to work into my tresses and do a nice job of detangling, but after this initial use, the original seems to leave my hair feeling and looking softer, smoother, slightly more moisturized, and more full. I'll do another comparison again later this week to see if these results hold up.

Overall Thoughts: The new vegan apple-honey version of the hair mask is fine; it's just not the original I love. 

Briogeo honey mask swatches.jpg

Tagging some folks who expressed an interest on the Found in the Wild and 2021 Beauty Releases threads for the new mask. I'm sorry if I missed anyone.

Spoiler

Briogeo Vegan Apple Honey Deep Conditioning Hair Mask for Dry + Damaged Hair 8 oz/ 236 mL  

@itsfi  Thanks for the side by side. Too bad the new one didnโ€™t smell like delicious apples and honey. 

@itsfi Thanks for the tag! And agreed, the left bottle looks a little plumper. Strange!

@itsfi Thank you for the tag!! And the thorough review. 

@Samtian, you're welcome. I couldn't resist picking up the new vegan formulation and comparing it to the original. I will definitely be savoring every last ounce of the original honey bear mask. 

Thanks for comparing the two versions for us, @itsfi! I loved the original.  I'll still probably buy the new version but I hate when things are changed for the worse, even if the change is slight.  At least I feel like I know what to expect now.

Yeah @curlychiquita, reformulations are not always for the better, are they? I'm actually drawing a blank on a reformulated product that I like more than the original. ๐Ÿค” This new version isn't bad; it's just not the original. I'm sure there are folks who will prefer this new version; hope it's one that will work for you. ๐Ÿคž

Thanks for tagging me, @itsfi!  That was a great review/comparison between the two and it's too bad that the new one isn't quite up to par with the old formula because it sounds so promising.

@CookieGirl1, the new vegan formula isnโ€™t bad; itโ€™s just that the original was exceptionally good. ๐Ÿฏ 

@itsfi  Oh, thank you so much for the wonderful review and comparison! I've already used up what I had left of the original, so the side by side comparison is very helpful! I just got mine so I haven't been able to try it out yet! I have smelled it though, and I actually really like the scent - but I do think I liked the scent on the original a little bit more. I already knew that it most likely wouldn't be quite as good as the original - but I'm still excited to try it out! 

@Shosh85, looking forward to hearing your feedback on it. The scent on the new one is fine; it just that the original set a high bar. 

@itsfi thank you for the comparison review. This makes it a pretty easy pass for me, only because my hair seems to thirst for thicker masks. Now, scents can easily sway me away from the necessities, but this one isnโ€™t the one to do that! 

1 Reply
testing