Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@eshoe Haha those were my thoughts! 

Continuing my A = Abib theme with Abib Mild Acidic pH Sheet Mask - Honey Fit. I used this one last night. 

Again with the unfortunate sticker placement.Again with the unfortunate sticker placement.

Though I love the transparent sleeves, I do have a pet peeve related to them: 

Thank goodness all this info's available at Abib's site, otherwise I'd strain my old lady eyes to death.Thank goodness all this info's available at Abib's site, otherwise I'd strain my old lady eyes to death.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Nourishes skin with minerals and vitamins; strengthens skin's immunity; adjusts skinโ€™s pH. Contains 30ml bottle of ampoule. 

Ingredients: Unlike the Heartleaf Fit mask, this Honey Fit mask does contain fragrance. Iโ€™m glad itโ€™s almost the last ingredient here. I like seeing turmeric paired with the bee stuff (honey, propolis, and royal jelly), plus 2 forms of neem (melia azadirachta) plant. Thatโ€™s a great anti-bacterial/antimicrobial combo and antioxidant source. 

Leucojum aestivum bulb extractโ€™s trade name is IBR-Snowflakeยฎ. Iโ€™ve seen folks claim this stuff rivals Botox as a muscle contraction inhibitor and wrinkle reducer. Thereโ€™s lots of sciency stuff about harnessing the dormant state of the summer snowflake flower bulb and applying it to skin cells to slow cell proliferation and extend cell life, thus slowing agingโ€ฆ eh, yโ€™all can look that up and read about it. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Spoiler

Water, Glycerin, Polyglycerin-3, Butylene Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Honey Extract, Melia Azadirachta Flower Extract, Aureobasidium Pullulans Ferment, Melia Azadirachta Leaf Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Ocimum Sanctum Leaf Extract, Althaea Rosea Flower Extract, Propolis Extract, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Extract, Royal Jelly Extract, Corallina Officinalis Extract, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Fruit Extract, Leucojum Aestivum Bulb Extract, Betaine, Hydroxyacetophenone, Choleth-24, Allantoin, Tromethamine, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Panthenol, Dextrin, Maltodextrin, Carbomer, Caffeine, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance( Parfum), Benzyl Benzoate 

Performance: Same medium-thin ALBAM (ALbumin + BAMboo) sheet as the Heartleaf Fit variety, and just as loaded with serum. The scent of honey hit me as soon as I opened the sleeve, and this slightly-gooey runny serum was tinged yellow. It oozed a bit from the chin as soon as Iโ€™d finished smoothing the sheet over my face, but didnโ€™t continue to dripโ€”err, oozeโ€”afterward. This sheet seemed slightly narrower at the jaw than the Heartleaf Fit sheet, and the philtrum was a bit too tall so I trimmed it shorter. I also widened the mouth hole. The sheet fit well everywhere else. The sheet felt soothingly cool on my face and never felt like it would slide right off my face, despite its juiciness. 

If you hate the smell of honey, this is not your mask. I didnโ€™t find it aggressive, in fact I enjoyed it, but it was definitely present the whole 35 minutes of wear. After removing the sheet, I massaged/pressed residual serum into my skin for 1-2 minutes. The sheet was still very wet, so I rubbed it on my neck and chest. Then I squeezed a whole handful of serum out of the sheet. Yet another super juicy Abib mask. Once all the serum had soaked into my skin, I had no pilling anywhere. This is a honey mask so, of course, my skin felt sticky. 

Results: A beautiful natural glow on moisturized and nicely hydrated skin that felt more hydrated by the minute. Honey usually lets the environment leach moisture from my skin, leaving it dry (which is why I have to space out my use of honey products, and not use them in dry weather). So after most honey masks, I immediately mist my face and apply a moisturizer to seal in hydration. But after this mask, I swear I could feel my skin attract more and more moisture from the airโ€”which is exactly what should happen with a humectant like honey. I did still mist my face, neck, and chest, but didnโ€™t rush to do it. Then I applied a little moisturizer and went to bed. This morning my skin was still very moisturized and hydrated, and my oily zone was in slight overproduction mode. 

Iโ€™ve got a box of this mask coming and will wait til the weather chills down to use them. I think this will be a great cold weather mask. Iโ€™ll reserve scoring til then, but for now: I doubt itโ€™ll score as high as the Heartleaf Fit mask, but I did like it enough to order a box today. ๐Ÿ™‚ Itโ€™s in the 90s for sure. 

A honey mask in the 90s, @WinglessOne??? Sounds wonderful. I know Iโ€™ve picked up this honey mask on multiple occasions so this time that works to my benefit. Ha! I will have to coordinate using it with a complementary wine. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

โ€Thereโ€™s lots of sciency stuff about harnessing the dormant state of the summer snowflake flower bulb and applying it to skin cells to slow cell proliferation and extend cell life, thus slowing agingโ€ฆโ€

This reminds me of the Tinkerbell movie, Secret of the Wings @WinglessOne. Kind of the same concept, โ€˜freezingโ€™ the aging process by halting the flowerโ€™s growth with a bubble of frost. Only the mask sounds slightly more promising, ha!

96FC667E-8079-4ABB-B1FF-19E834892DA5.gif

Meek is an interesting ingredient. I recently tried a wash off mask with it as an ingredient, and it irritated my skin. It also had spirulina, which might be the culprit ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

I am curious about this brand though. Like @Shosh85 @mentioned, you sure know how to sell a mask!

@eshoe  You know, that makes me wonder if Disney has created many sheet masks featuring their own characters. (My brain's often in tangent thought mode. ๐Ÿ˜‚) I've visited Disney World at least once a year for decades... this will probably be the first year in ages I don't go. Anyway, the only place in DW I remember ever seeing sheet masks is, unsurprisingly, Mitsukoshi at Japan (Epcot World Showcase). Next time I visit DW, I'll pay closer attention to any skincare items available. 

Anyway... I hope you don't have a neem sensitivity and the culprit ends up being something else. It's such a good ingredient. If you try an Abib mask, I look forward to your thoughts on it! 

Thatโ€™s pretty incredible that youโ€™ve made DW an annual tradition, @WinglessOne. Iโ€™ve never been to DW, only to Disneyland a few times. Seems like you would need more than one day to soak it all in. 

I tried a Mickey Mouse mask a year ago or so-it was in one of the traveling mask boxes. It was imprinted to look like Mickey, pretty cute. Now that you mention it, Iโ€™m kind of surprised there hasnโ€™t been a collab with a company like Crรจme Shop. Maybe Disney wants too much of the cut๐Ÿ˜‚

Which one of the Abib that youโ€™ve tried so far so you prefer? 

@eshoe  Heartleaf Fit is definitely my favorite Abib mask. It's almost perfect for me. 

About Disney World... 

Spoiler

Disney World takes 3-4 days to cover, depending on your ride tolerance and which parks you're interested in. Lines also have a lot to do with it: I hear Disney's finally overhauling their fast pass system, and thank goodness because it's such a joke, what with people (mostly annual passholders) booking all available fast passes for all the most popular rides several months in advance. 

My parents live near Orlando and I usually visit them twice a year: once in autumn, again for December holidays. We've done Epcot Food & Wine Fest each year since it began, except last year and, apparently, this year. ๐Ÿ˜ž That's where I spend the bulk of my DW time, but I also venture over to Hollywood Studios because that's where 2 of the best DW rides are (Rock 'n' Roll coaster and Tower of Terror). Hopefully DW fixes their fast pass problems by the time I visit again, so I'll actually have a chance to do some of the Star Wars rides. ๐Ÿ˜„ 

Animal Kingdom is a lovely place to stroll around. I'd love to have that park mostly to myself one day, just to use as a running course, because it's got small hills and winding paths. They do have the fairly new Pandora section open but, again, good luck doing the rides unless you're willing to wait 1-2 hours in line. (I've done that for one of the rides there; it was worth the wait.) And I like the Expedition Everest roller coaster. Their safari tour is also kinda neat, especially if you're with little kids. And they do educational animal presentations around the park, where a keeper will bring out an animal for show and tell. 

I don't go to Magic Kingdom unless I reeeeally get nostalgic for one or two of the rides there, or I'm visiting with family/friends who have small kids. I hear a new ride's coming to Tomorrowland, a coaster I think, and it'll be next to Space Mountain. That'll be interesting! 

I googled some Disney sheet masks. Mad Beauty's done series of princesses and villains, and the masks in both sets are hilariously creepy. ๐Ÿคฃ I think they're still available but, um, I prooooobably won't buy any. I'm sure your Mickey Mouse mask looked much better than these! 

Iโ€™ve heard DW is something that takes a few days to soak in, @WinglessOne. That must be terribly disappointing for people who donโ€™t consider the FastPass spots would all be reserved๐Ÿ˜ณ Iโ€™ve only done that at Six Flags (not sure what they call it, but it was well worth it). Weโ€™ve offered to take my daughter to Disneyland a few times as sheโ€™s gotten older, most recently a year or so ago, and she really has no interest. Which...I cannot complain, at all! The food and wine event sounds like a blast , though. Good grown-up fun;)

Didn't you do a Disney mask before, @itsfi

I did @Shosh85. There was a set of Disney Villians sheet masks that I had. Iโ€™ve seen some Mickey Mouse ones too a while back. I think at Target at one point but I didnโ€™t discover them in time and missed out on picking those up. @WinglessOne 

@WinglessOne  I love honey masks and this one sounds wonderful! I'm not so big strong fragrances, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind a strong honey scent! ๐Ÿฏ Glad to hear this brand is turning out great so far!

Ohhhhh this honey mask sounds unbelievable!!! @WinglessOne 

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

A for Apto Healing Turmeric Mask. And this also checks the pet peeves challenge. Why you ask?.... 1. the color, it reminds me of baby ๐Ÿ’ฉsorry.... so for that alone it makes me not want to try it๐Ÿ˜ฌ 2. wash off masks that dont come off THAT easy. this definitely needs a cloth toremove ,which i used. But also is strange because it doesnt dry down allthe way๐Ÿคท 3. Strong smells, it definitely is a smell you can either live with or not. it stays the whole time you have it on- 20 min 4. * didn't affect me that I saw* but reviews have said this can STAIN your skin๐Ÿ˜ณ I think I have 1 more use out of this ds. After removing my skin did feel softer but i think I would like this better if it exfoliated.๐Ÿค” I might have to try this again & exfoliate before.....by itself its ok but I like stuff better. ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›

@sonnydee, this is the first Iโ€™ve heard of this brand. Just went to look them up after your review. They have some interesting masks, but sounds like this particular one that is just okay. The possibility of it staining your face makes me a bit nervous about it - I can totally see me keeping it on longer than I should, forgetting to take it off and then staining my face. ๐Ÿ˜ณ Iโ€™ll be interested though to know how it performs after exfoliating.

yes, that would be a BIG con to walk around with jaundice...

yes, that would be a BIG con to walk around with jaundice looking skin! @itsfi if it stained, I didn't see it but it might be more visible on more fairer skin๐Ÿค” the green ( balancing) I did see, near my hairline, it didn't " stain" but I did have to go over it more than once with my cloth. maybe that's what they are talking about....

@sonnydee  Too bad this one was unimpressive! I'm not so sure I like the sound of it potentially staining skin ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Can't love them all @Shosh85 but im ok with that- making...

Can't love them all @Shosh85 but im ok with that- making room for my go tos.๐Ÿค—

@sonnydeeI tried the Nourishing a Mask from this brand and it turned my skin red and itchy (guessing the culprit is the spirulina?) This one seems like worth a try. The color sounds similar to the KORA Organics Turmeric Brightening Pore Scrub + Exfoliating Mask 3.38 oz / 100 mL

yikes! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ @eshoe I do have some others from this line- ๐Ÿค”...

yikes! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ @eshoe I do have some others from this line- ๐Ÿค” pomegranate & balancing. Gotta love ipsy

Re: yikes! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ @eshoe I do have some others from this line- ๐Ÿค”...

I hope you share how it goes with the other ones, @sonnydee. I was pretty excited, it looked like it would be a good one!

Re: yikes! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ @eshoe I do have some others from this line- ๐Ÿค”...

Of course @eshoe ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Reply
testing