Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

Welcome to Year 7 of our Pan It! Challenge ElleElleG_0-1704168084184.gif

ElleElleG_9-1704168647118.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃 *this is the number one recommendation for everyone, regardless of how long you’ve been panning! Those photos add up and can help you realize progress you might otherwise overlook.
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Pan It! - 2023 Challenge

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Re: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge

@caitbird, a ‘sup right back at ya! You know, there’s no time like the present to jump right on in to the pan it! challenge! 😊 Seems like you’ve been working on panning goals for a while and love that you are sharing them with all of us now.

You have some amazing products you’re working your way through and some awesome goals! 😍 Excited to see all the progress you will make and any looks you create with these beauties -

nails, eyeshadows, lippies - on the various boards here (and interested to know if you will discover some favorites along the way)! 

@itsfi  thank you so much! You are always so encouraging, I really appreciate it 💜 Sharing panning goals & progress updates with everyone here makes things so much more fun! I am happy to say that I have already made some good progress on my goals in the past week, and hope to keep that up. I did a Star Wars-inspired look yesterday using ND Xenon palette & one of my red lipsticks, which I posted in What are you wearing today Pt2 . But I will post a progress update here in a month or so too.

@caitbird Definitely better late than never!! I must know where you got that storage for the samplers? I really like that idea. I do hope you'll share your eye and lip looks in the 100 challenge threads. 

@Samtian  thank you! The organizer is from Amazon - it's called BINO The Manhattan Series, and the shallow drawers are perfect for perfume samples. I'm quite happy with it - before, my perfume samples were all piled in a drawer in my bathroom vanity, and now it's so much easier to find what I'm looking for!

@caitbird Thank you! Right now mine sit in a big caboodle type case. I just randomly grab when it's time for one. I really like the idea of alphabetical order. 

@Samtian  I usually pick what fragrance I'm going to wear based on my mood/what sounds good at the time (based on looking up the notes/description if it's one I haven't tried yet), so it's helpful to me to be able to find a specific sample relatively easily.

April progress report

IMG_20240502_103312238.jpg

Spoiler
The two huda lip glosses are almost gone 🙌
Making good progress on everything else, other than the glossier serum I have not touched.

IMG_20240502_103617939.jpg

Still a good progress @lmaster ! When I read you're almost done with glosses 😱 wow. Big props. I don't think I've ever finished a lip product before!!! (Maybe a lip mask 😂)

@lmaster hee-hee, your MAKEUP BY MARIO SoftSculpt Transforming Skin Enhancer®  looks similar to mine.  Rough 😂.

It's definitely seen better days @CookieGirl1 🤣

@lmaster Oooh wow great job!!! Can't wait to see those in the empties threads soon!

Thank you sweets! 😊 @Samtian 

Whoa @lmaster, that’s lots of good progress. You’re gonna be done with a couple of them soon. 👀

Thank you lovely! @itsfi 

@lmaster  great job! 💜

Thanks so much! 😊 @caitbird 

APRIL UPDATE

Monthly Summary:   No pan or finished items. Another slow and steady month of usage.

April All Star(s):   Pan progress has been consistent with all products, except for the WA lip palette which took a breather for most of the month. As a result, nothing really stood out as having made extra strides towards completion.

Next Month's Focus:   I want to concentrate more attention on my body care pan items in May. I have a lot of  products in this category open and in varying states of use. I’ve found that these three products all layer well with many other products and with one another. The plan is to reach for these three body care products in my project pan at least 4 or 5 days during the week, either on their own or layering them with other products.

4.2024 Pan - Body Care.jpg

4.2024 Pan - Hair Care.png

4.2024 Pan - Eye + Nails.jpg

4.2024 Pan - ND Biba.jpg

Work towards pan on the shade: prairie from the Natasha Denona Biba Eyeshadow Palette is coming along, slowly. I've been trying a couple of different ways to use the shade - using it to set my eyeshadow, a brilliant idea suggested by @Mellmars1185, and I've scraped some of each of these 3 shadows and placed them in a jar. Some days I will take an eyeshadow brush - a shader or blending brush - swirl the powders in the jar with it, then spritz a setting spray (like MAC Fix+, the alcohol free version) to the brush and then apply the somewhat customized color onto my lids. This has gotten me more use of not just the prairie shade but the other two shades (shine and rustic) as well. 👍 

You're so close with one of the pans @itsfi !!! Body products sound like a great challenge esp if you're aiming for 4 to 5 days a week since they go fast! (At least for me... maybe a larger surface area to cover 🤔 😂)

Love seeing your steady progress! 🥰

@itsfi those eyeshadows are looking ragged in the best way possible 😉.  Great job!

@itsfi  great progress! Slow and steady wins the race, as they say!

Yes indeed @caitbird, that’s what I’m hoping for. Most of the profits I picked for my project pan this year have been working out really well. There’s a couple that are proving a little more challenging to work through. I’ll decide in a couple of months whether I will swap them out or keep going, but in the meantime, just putting my head down and chipping away at things. 

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos196
  • ElleElleG_0-1704168084184.gif
  • ElleElleG_9-1704168647118.jpeg
  • End of Bones.jpg
  • Start of Robbery 23.jpg
  • CT Dec 23.jpg
  • Liners, mascara, misc
  • Blushes and Bronzers
  • Highlighters
  • Highlighters 2