Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2022 & 2023 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Happy New Year gifs 2023 Animated Wallpapers, New Year 2023 Images Funny  Wishes HD | Funny wishes, Happy new year 2014, New year wishes quotes

Hello, hello! Welcome to Years 8and 9 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum  )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Curious about the past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Community Challenges (These Can Help You Use Your Stash):

Spoiler

Re: 2022 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@newcarlee  I think we all slip up but getting back on track is a good thing!!!

I nearly placed a big lippie order, but saw this on Reddit and it stopped me. Thought I’d share in case anyone else is in the same boat!

5978CB7E-B553-48CB-B2E8-A78A3B5BAAC9.png

shoutout to valkyriae on Reddit - I don’t have a Reddit account or I would’ve added a comment on there 😊

@Guessgal I know this hurt because you are the lippie queen 👑!

I can relate though, I have so many unopened and unused lipsticks that I need to just let go of because they have expired (including one from the last in-person Sephoria 😢). Some new releases have tempted me but walking into my room and seeing all the lip items stops me from adding to a situation that's been out of control for too long.

@ElleElleG Whoa the last in-person Sephoria was end of 2019, which is only a tad over 2yr… that seems super quick for unopened lipsticks to go bad 🤯 I hope it wasn’t one of the custom engraved YSL lippies, if you bought any from that booth. I got “Sephoria” engraved on mine and wouldn’t want to part with it!

@Guessgal this is exactly why I'm trying really really hard to stop impulse buying just because it's new! Well,,, sure we all love a good launch,,,, but really we only have one face,,, and I actually do want to use the products I have,, I've passed on a few ND palettes,,, even though they are gorgeous!!! I just can't keep feeling overwhelmed by my collection,,, although I did buy a couple pmg palettes,,,, however I got two palettes for 93$ couldn't pass that up

@lmaster @Guessgal I am both glad, and sad, that I missed that glitch.

@lmaster Same, I also caved during the PMG glitch and got some motherships, but it was definitely a now or never situation. I was quite content with my PMG collection before, but never tried a mothership and it seems like that is her most raved about product so I thought maybe now is the chance.

@Guessgal that deal was epic!! I bought 3 & 6 which ones did you grab?

@lmaster I got the bundle for 4,5,6 since I already had the smaller six pan version of 1,2,3 😊

@Guessgal that's great!! At that price it was literally a steal

@Guessgal  Isn’t that always what happens!!!! 

@Guessgal A very good point and a reason why I'm on a no buy. So many backups.

@Guessgal yes, we have to remember that everything expires sooner or later so let’s use our favorite things before the rest.

@Guessgal Thanks I did need this!  Especially for any lip products!

As promised, I'm back to update on my Amazon Subscribe & Save order (the one that previously had 78 items in it, yikes!). Today was the last day to update and I've been sorting through it weekly since the beginning, so it was more of a "last minute changes" type of day. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.15.43 PM.png

My goal for this month was to have 10-15 items that I NEED in this subscription box. It felt pretty good knowing that I'm actually going to need all of the items coming in on March 1st. I was able to hit my goal by having a total of 13 items that are mostly for my pets and not myself. I did add on four beauty related items that I need and one candle that I really wanted and I know which will get used. Great progress. 🙂 

The March Order:

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.15.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.15.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.15.22 PM.png

Details:

Spoiler
The beauty related items I ordered are: Vichy Thermalizing Water- I keep the minis by my bedside and am on my second to last bottle, one lasts me about 2 weeks on the bedside so I figured I'd order two and hope they last me the entire month. The OGX Shampoo-I actually don't use this as a shampoo I use it as a brush cleaner (might be controversial) and I'm all out. This was a fantastic price so I chose to buy it on Amazon instead of at ULTA. The Moroccan Rose Shave Oil-I run through these like bread and butter. My legs are super prone to dryness and itchiness especially after shaving so I need to get one delivered every month (at least). I'd usually get more but I have a couple back-ups on hand so I think just one will suffice. The Body Shop Milk & Honey Bar soap-I've been using this as a staple for a while and need a re-stock this month. Plus a little bonus of my Chocolate Layer Cake Yankee Candle... no justification for this one other than I love this candle. This was my "treat yourself for completing a ~sort of~ successful no buy". 🙂

As stated, most of the items are for my pets (which I'm pretty proud of). My dogs like baby food as a food topper and so do the rodents that I own as well as my special needs animals getting their meds disguised in the mushy baby goodness. So all of these are an absolute MUST in my house and I got through about 2 packets daily (if not 3). The cat treat food is for an animal that can be picky at times with their meds and have outsmarted me but can't resist these, I have a few on hand but I figured I'd get a handful more in the order because it's a true need. The coconut chips and baby snacks are used as animal snacks (for the rodents), which I'm running low on this month. The little rodent chew toy is self explanatory, they like these in particular... I don't ask questions, I just meet their demands 😂 

@QueenMarceline  Great job cutting back!!

@ather Thank you, it was definitely a huge cut back. So many less boxes! 🙂

@QueenMarceline Great job at cutting back on your subscription products!

@Mellmars1185 Thanks so much 🙂

I've done really good on my low/no boy. I have not made any personal beauty related purchases, only things for my Galentine. Once a year or so I'll get myself a couple of nice to me things. Thanks to Afterpay I treated myself earlier than normal. I bought these Adidas shoes and a super cute crossbody. For now I only plan on buying some shower sheets and face wipes. 

Haul.jpg

Okay I like those shoes @Samtian 

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos21
  • 091287043a227ccbdb2ebdd983ef1b30.jpeg
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 5.15.20 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 11.38.26 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 11.38.34 AM.png
  • Haul.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.15.43 PM.png