Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2022 & 2023 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Happy New Year gifs 2023 Animated Wallpapers, New Year 2023 Images Funny  Wishes HD | Funny wishes, Happy new year 2014, New year wishes quotes

Hello, hello! Welcome to Years 8and 9 of the No/Low Buy Thread.  

*Many thanks to all who have participated over the last few years.  While I don't

post often I do read the notifications sent to my email and I cannot say it enough,

You all are truly amazing!  Thank you for your dedication and support!!

For reference here's the purpose of this thread (from Thread Originator, @lnum  )

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

A note from lnum (2016):

Spoiler

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Curious about the past threads?  Check Here:

Spoiler

Community Challenges (These Can Help You Use Your Stash):

Spoiler

Re: 2022 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@Samtian  Great job!!

Thanks everyone!

I love the adidases, @Samtian

@Samtian Love the sneakers and the bag

@Samtian sooooo cute!!!! Love both items!!

Enjoy your goodies! Super cute

Alright, here's an update on my no/low buy... I'm still going super strong in my no beauty related stuff department and I fully intend to. I also have not made any other purchases, but... I got an email that my Kohl's cash was expiring and I took a gander at my wish list. I went to a Kohl's over a week ago with my S/O (surprisingly, for some items for him-a true rarity), as he browsed the men's section I found this super cute powder blue cute Lauren Conrad bath robe (I love robes... oh, so so much) however they didn't have any in stock in my size, unfortunately. I almost bought another color but they just didn't catch my eye like the blue one, so I put it in my wish list on my Kohl's account online. Annnd, since we share an account my S/O earned me some Kohl's cash on his recent shopping excursion.

That Kohl's cash was expiring yesterday, so when I saw the LC Robe on a nice sale, on top of having another 20% coupon and my Kohl's cash I knew now would be the right time to splurge on something I've actually wanted instead of impulse buying. I'm kind of glad they were sold out because this went for the retail price at my local Kohl's and if they had it in my size, I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it. With all the discounts, it was not enough for free shipping but I also added the Yankee Candle Winter 2022 Sweet Plum Sake candle to my wish list and surprisingly, it was also on sale! The last item I added was a clearance candle since it was so cheap and I've been running through my candles quite quickly recently. I was able to score all 3 items for $49, not too shabby. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 11.38.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-06 at 11.38.34 AM.png

@QueenMarceline  that haul was so worth it! Great deals!

@AMK721 Thank you 🙂 I have decluttered an older robe of mine as well in order to "justify" this purchase a bit. I'm looking forwards to getting rid of maybe another that's getting up there in age. 

Ok, I’m new to this whole Sephora groups things…not sure how I never knew this was even a thing🥴 I need some definite accountability after the past 2-3 months and maybe someone can offer any advice on more reasonably priced alternatives. These purchases didn’t happen at Sephora-although, I have SO many that I’m not using because I started getting into medical-grade stuff..at a really bad time for my bank account:( I fell in love with the SkinMedica TNS Advanced Serum…but uhhh, $295 for ONE fluid ounce. Not even sure it lasted me 30 days and I just simply can’t afford to keep buying that every month. Is there anything comparable with actual human growth factors in it (not plant derived ones) that isn’t obscenely expensive? Is this even the right place to ask…apologies in advance if not, as mentioned I’m totally new to this part of Sephora’s website

Hi @kj1219 - while I don’t have any suggestions as dupes to your HG serum, perhaps you could use on alternate days and then use less expensive serums (or use up what you’ve already purchased) for the in-between days? That would help stretch your monthly cost in using that product alone in half.

@kj1219 Yes welcome! I like the brands The Inkey List and The Ordinary are some great skin care brands that offer really affordable prices and great quality.

@kj1219 No worries! Welcome to the BIC, I think you'll really like it here. There are so many amazing threads on here and I don't think you came to the wrong place at all especially because this is an excellent accountability thread and someone may be able to help you on here. However, I would recommend that for the portion of the question looking for a specific comparable item that you start your own thread (by clicking "start a conversation") with your inquiry or look up any other threads that may have already addressed the question previously by looking for keywords (such as the product name) and browse the answers for any related threads you may find. I find that looking for specific product dupes it usually helps to have a separate thread specifically dedicated to that item in order to get the best results. 🙂 I hope you can find an affordable dupe for the specific product you like.

As for my tip (if you can't find your ideal dupe): some products I enjoy are pricey and I unfortunately like them enough to continue re-buying. I try to "off set" this by being more frugal in other areas of my bath/body/skin care or makeup. For example, I love the Drunk Elephant serum but it's $134 per large bottle that I go through at least 3-4 of per year. This stacks up for only ONE product. In order to "off set" this a couple years back I switched from my old "base conditioner" which I ran through about one bottle every 2 weeks that cost ~$30 to a base conditioner that costs under $1 that still works very well on my hair. I save over $50 each month (and over $500 each year) by doing this and I get to still lather my hair with all the conditioner I want-guilt free. For other pricey items I like, I might only use them 3-5x a week instead of every day or I've also mixed high end products with lower end products which I still enjoy and have found it helps a little go a lot further. For example, I love Tatchas moisturizer but it's quite pricey so sometimes I like to mix it with a moisturizer from the drug store I own and enjoy (but rarely use alone) that cost ~$10. I found that ever since I started doing this my jars have been lasting me a lot more. Another great hack I learned from my mom for moisturizers is mixing a few drops of facial oil you may already have on hand with the moisturizer. You're able to get away with a lot less product while also getting an extra boost from the oil. Furthermore, I find that the oil actually helps with absorbing the moisturizer better so it's really a win-win and something I've incorporated into my skin care all together not only to stretch some product but simply in general because it works well 🙂

Love the add a drop o' Oil strategy, @QueenMarceline. Employing this tactic with hand & body lotion *is Major* in the dry weeks of Winter, when that hand cream with Fab scent /texture, isn't sufficient on its own. A little $5 btl of Coconut or Jojoba oil really is a prudent purchase. (Layer it, if not mixed-in).

@MvLL Thank you, 🙂 I actually have not had a chance to try that SC oil. The drop of oil strategy is super nice but I have yet to try it with hand/body lotions. Honestly I might give that a go soon.

It does help so much at this time of year, b/c hand washing >dozen x a day. Just a drop on back of hands, then lotion. Even if only in PM. I haven't tried S. Hemp Multi. oil; working thru' 2 btl of Jojoba bought before it was d/c. Hope S. brings it back.

I'm posting this in the accountability thread because I have the task of trimming down my Amazon subscriptions. The next upcoming months delivery (march) has many, many items in it... My goal is to be trim this down to 10-15 subscriptions for things I actually NEED. This is the before... I'll be posting the after as soon as I'm done fully trimming down my list.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 5.15.20 PM.png

These are definitely not nearly all beauty related... but I clearly don't need 78 items delivered to my door in March.

@QueenMarceline  Omg 78 items that’s crazy. I’m glad I never got into the subscription for Amazon. We did diapers when my son used them and we use razors for my husband but that’s the only subscription we used. All the makeup boxes look fun but I’m in Canada so I never got into them. Good job cutting back!!! 

@ather Indeed it is. Over time (some 6-7 years), they just sort of piled up. I got rid of a few things that I really don't want anymore or don't need anymore, no need in even having it in the queue anymore. I order everything on there: household items/cleaners, dog supplies, pet snacks, bath/body items. Usually I can get a really good deal on it which is why I start up the subscription in the first place. I've ended up with a bunch of them all correlating on the same month where it's almost overwhelming to go through. I've already trimmed quite a bit but it was super overwhelming to do.

@QueenMarceline  Makes sense. When my son was getting potty trained we had to stop it because we kept getting them but didn’t use the diapers fast enough

@QueenMarceline That is a good place to trim! I personally havent subscribed to anything. Do you find tha you are using the items before you recieve another delivery?

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos21
  • 091287043a227ccbdb2ebdd983ef1b30.jpeg
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 5.15.20 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 11.38.26 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 11.38.34 AM.png
  • Haul.jpg
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.15.43 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.15.04 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.15.22 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.15.14 PM.png