Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

cbd for anxiety

I've heard cbd is good for anxiety, so I finally tried it...various edibles in varying amounts, and just the plain cbd, but I'm not sure it has any effect.  has anyone tried it and noticed anything?  I was thinking about getting more since I'd rather take that than medication, but I've already spent probably $100, and I'm not sure if it works or not. 

I was just looking at a cbd oil on here too, and reviews said it made them more relaxed...Idk how a topical can do that, if edibles don't seem to have that much effect.  so idk if those reviews are fake, or if I'm just too stressed for it to work? lol.

Tags:

Re: cbd for anxiety

@treestar86   I can't speak for anyone else, but skin is the largest organ in the body.  And whatever you put on it is absorbed into the bloodstream.  Our bodies are very good at filtering out the stuff that we don't need.

I did use a CBD balm on my knee for pain; I can't remember which brand it was for certain, but I believe it was Charlotte's Web.  I felt woozy after using it for a short time.  I didn't expect that, as I wasn't using it for anxiety, so I thought I was imagining it.  Then, I tried some cbd oil (Charlotte's Web) for overall muscle and joint pain.  It gave me the same feeling the cream did, so I think there is something to cbd having that effect.  A lot of cbd products do have a trace of THC in them; I read the fine print on CW's site and they said the same thing.

One thing that I learned about cbd products (not taking them any more because of this) is that they work by dulling receptors in the body, such as those for pain (and it did for me.)  However, sometimes, especially at higher doses, some receptors that you may NOT want dulled are affected.  For example, if you have a sluggish digestive system (gastroparesis, etc,) cbd could slow things down even more and cause additional problems.  I learned this from a medical professional, by the way, I didn't read it on the internet. 🙂  I hope you get answers soon.

thanks @Ispend2much6  yes, thats why I'm hesitant to use anything, even body lotion. Ive tried a bunch of different cbd gummies and stuff, and didnt notice much effect, except for maybe the ones w/thc...thats why I was skeptical of cbd creams and such, where reviewers say it helps for pain and stuff.

I did recently pick up a cbd balm by kopari, though...some reviews said it was good for pms cramps, which seemed interesting, and which would be helpful if true...I'm not sure how it would go through all the fat, though...lol.😅 I like the smell though.  I also have some cbd lip balm by hempz...still need to try that, but I'm skeptical of topicals working...

@Mirilu idk...its also kind of expensive.  I'd go to the doctor or therapist, maybe see about medication if its that bad??

@treestar86  What brands have you tried? The only CBD I see on the Sephora site that is ingestible is LORD JONES - Royal Oil 1000mg Pure CBD Oil and I think it's too expensive. CBD takes weeks to build up and have an actual effect, and people typically start at a lower dose and work their way up. You want to take it every 12 hours too. You might just need a bigger dose. Right now I personally use CBDMD (they have sales too), but I'm interested if anyone else has any other brand suggestions.

@suzyo  various different items/brands from my local pot/cbd stores.  that makes sense if it takes a while to build up, cuz when I got just the plain cbd powder and took that more  (I wanted to see if there was an effect, minus the sugar and other ingredients in edibles.), it seemed like there might have been more of an effect, but idk.  one I tried was oleo coconut water drink mix w/25 mg cbd, which was pretty cheap compared to most other items, at $2 for 1 packet, and was pretty tasty...but w/25 mg, which is high...I didn't notice much effect. 😕

@treestar86  I think the people who feel something right away are using a full spectrum product (that has THC) vs a broad spectrum, or they are experiencing a placebo effect. 25mg is the dose I'm at now (2x a day), I actually thought that was low. I plan to bump it up soon.

@suzyohmm, I thought 25 was high, as most other things I've tried were 5-15 mg per serving.  and I've tried some w/thc too, but didn't notice much either, unless I took a lot...and then just wanted to lay around, lol.  the plain cbd powder is 1 g, but it's hard to know how much I'm taking, since I don't have anything to measure it....I've just been taking a tiny bit, but it's probably half gone already.  since apparently there are a lot of chemicals used in the process, that's a bit alarming too. 

@treestar86 

First of all, the CBD oils and products sold at Sephora are for external use only, not for ingesting them.  I think the other customers reviewing the CBD products as "relaxing" meant their skin felt more relaxed, not their anxiety.  Also, CBD does not get you high, THC does.  If you've been taking CBD oils and edibles to try and relax, sorry to break it to you, but you've wasted money.  Do your research next time.  At least CBD is good for your health.

I have anxiety and depression so I understand wanting to try.  I used to smoke a bunch in college and was always relaxed.  That was before the legalization in California so I was always buying from my friends, not stores.  I was always so relaxed and happy (but also dazed).  I tried smoking some I bought from the stores but they were super strong for me and gave me insane anxiety and panic attacks every time I tried.  I read a recent article saying that THC doesn't help relax people who have anxiety and actually enhances what you feel, which in my case was anxiety and depression, which explains my horrible reaction to it.

You can definitely give it a try to see if it works for you.  Take it slow since store ones are a lot stronger these days.

@RAWRitsRED wrote:

First of all, the CBD oils and products sold at Sephora are for external use only, not for ingesting them.

I don't believe I said they weren't, nor that I tried them that way.

and fyi this is the oil I was looking at where reviews mentioned being relaxed and helping their anxiety.  the first review states: "I felt a noticeable difference in my anxiety level" Smiley LOL Ellis Brooklyn Marvelous CBD Massage and Body Oil 1.0oz/ 30mL

I think you can absorb things through the skin and feel them.    I use Bloom CBD orally.. but i bet it could be used topically as well.  A local integrative doctor here recommends it.   Good cbd is expensive.. Bloom Hemp oil is $40-65 a bottle.   It does help relax you.  Another much less expensive item to relax you is l-theanine.. It is found in green tea.  I get mine from Swanson Vitamins.. I like their Ultra l-theanine.. 200mg.. Also if you are into Teas, I have found that Lemon Balm Tea is very relaxing.. (For me the tea works better than the tincture.) Good Luck, I hope I helped.

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 19 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing