From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors

Will the Sephora brand ever be cruelty-free?

Lately the Sephora brand has been coming out with so many great products and they’ve even jumped on the “clean beauty” bandwagon. But unfortunately, though many new brands have come out proudly stating theirs cruelty free,Sephora has not. I would love to try out all their new products, so I’m just wondering. Will the Sephora brand ever be cruelty free?
Anonymous Insider

Re: Will the Sephora brand ever be cruelty-free?

I just mentioned something related in another thread.  Cruelty-Free Kitty is a great site for finding tons of ethical brands and in-depth information about them and the non-cruelty free brands. 

I only recently discovered that Sephora's own house brand isn't cruelty-free; I assumed "Clean at Sephora" included cruelty-free.  Apparently, not - my mistake for assuming.  I've also noticed a greater difficulty lately in finding rewards bazaar products, beauty offers, and Play box products that are cruelty-free.  I've only had the Play box for a couple of months, but I think I'll be cancelling it if it contains mostly unethical products that I'll never purchase.  I don't see much point in remaining a Sephora customer if I can't use my accumulated points for anything.  Especially as there are plenty of other stores with great rewards programs, as well as similarly priced beauty boxes, that are far more cruelty-free-friendly, if not 100% cruelty-free.

Afaik, the Sephora brand was cruelty-free before the whole mandatory testing situation in China. Since there are Sephora stores in mainland China, it makes sense buisness-wise to sell their house brand there. I can't imagine they would stop selling SC there, so imo the only possible change is up to the chinese regulations. Things are slowly moving in the right direction though! 

I'm also intrigued by their newest skincare products & wish they were cruelty-free 😞 As someone else said, until then, there are many cruelty-free brands out there.

@abbypr  I think that would only happen if China changes their regulations. I don’t foresee Sephora not selling their products in China. I do think it’s possible; just slow getting there. Several animal rights groups and cosmetic companies have been working to help get change. I hope they and the government can find a solution which will end such cruelty.  Until then, there are many cruelty free companies. 

Absolutely. And I’m happy that more and more brands keep adding themselves to the “cruelty-free” list. Hopefully the Sephora Collection will also. 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing