cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

WHY FOOD HAS THE MOST PROFOUND IMPACT ON GUT HEALTH

Get-gutsy-with-Carla_-768x512.png

I love the analogy that our gut is like a garden – for a garden to be beautiful and its shoots strong and lustrous, the soil needs the right bacterial and nutrient balance. And our gut is the same. We need to tend to it gently, nurturing it and nourishing it with nutrient-dense wholefoods.

When healthy, it is full of a diverse range of bacteria and when our gut is in balance or eubiosis, we thrive. When there is an imbalance or dysbiosis, however, we can experience a myriad of diverse symptoms – from headaches and bloating, to allergies, skin issues, autoimmune conditions and gut issues.

While there are countless factors that can impact and compromise our gut health, without a doubt, food has the most profound impact. Put simply, what we choose to eat can either help to heal our gut or harm it – so if you’re looking to improve your gut health, it’s essential you turn to your plate first and foremost.

FOODS TO AVOID

Certain foods can disrupt the microbiome, irritate the gut lining and therefore contribute to leaky gut and trigger an immune response and inflammation in the body.  So if you’re looking to heal your gut, it’s important to avoid refined sugars, additives and preservatives, refined flours and processed foods, alcohol, charred or burnt food as well as gluten and dairy – which are both common gut disruptors.

Gluten, in particular, can be particularly irritating to the gut lining, aggravating the immune system. Studies show that gliadin, a protein found in wheat, can actually increase the likelihood of leaky gut– whether you’re gluten-sensitive, coeliac or not. And for some, both soy and dairy can manifest in similar symptoms as gluten sensitivity.

FOODS TO ENJOY

For a balanced, healthy gut, it’s important to promote microbial diversity – by enjoying a varied diet of wholefoods, and an array of nutrients. Remember, different microbes feed on different nutrients so diversity is key!

• Fermented foods: Rich in probiotic bacteria, fermented foods are a great way to feed the gut with beneficial microbes. Sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, miso and tempeh are all delicious examples of fermented foods – as are The Beauty Chef products, of course! Fermented foods also aid digestion, help to combat inflammation and restore immune function.
  • Fiber: When it comes to promoting microbial diversity fiber, above all else, has the most profound impact. Found in fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds, fiber helps to feed the beneficial microbes in the gut. Soluble fiber, for example, passes through the small intestine and begins to break down in the large intestine – fermenting with the help of the beneficial bacteria that live there. The by-product of this fermentation is the production of short-chain fatty acids (such as butyrate), anti-inflammatory compounds which are essential for our gut, immune, brain and metabolic health. Inulin (found in artichokes) and pectin (found in apples and pears) are good examples of fiber that help to encourage the production of SCFA’s.
  • Polyphenols: Found in brightly colored fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds – including carrots, capsicum, sweet potato, spinach, rosemary, onions, berries, pomegranate and garlic – these antioxidant compounds help to protect and improve gut barrier function.
  • Healing foods: To heal your gut it’s essential to load up your plate with nourishing foods that are soothing and gentle on the gut. Slow-cooked stews, bone broth (rich in gut-healing amino acids), nourishing soups, and foods that contain digestive-boosting enzymes such as bitter greens (rocket and dandelion), and sour foods (like citrus and apple cider vinegar) are all gut-friendly options.

Re: WHY FOOD HAS THE MOST PROFOUND IMPACT ON GUT HEALTH

@TheBeautyChef   I just wanted to let you know that I tried the Hydration Inner Beauty Boost for the first time yesterday. 

I decided to try it because of its liquid format of probiotics and anti-inflammatory properties.

Without delving into too much TMI, I have been having a lot of intestinal issues, probably, I was told, to an overgrowth of bad bacteria, even though I eat Greek yogurt for breakfast every morning.  I suspect I also have IBS. 

The discomfort has been slowly getting better, but not by any means gone.  Yesterday was a really bad day, and I don't know why. 

I took a dose of the Hydration solution (which has a mild, lemony berry taste,) and within a half an hour I noticed an improvement in my symptoms.  Two hours after that, I felt mostly normal again! 

I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel after using up the entire bottle. Thank you!

Hi, @Ispend2much6 !  I'm so glad you found something to work for you!  I was diagnosed with IBS about 35 years ago.  It's awful!  I used to take a prescription medication.  Now I use a probiotic--it works better than the prescription did!  I hope you continue to feel better.  🙂

@Titian06   Thank you!  IBS is suspect, but still monitoring.  At any rate, this helped the overgrowth of bad bacteria.

Hi @Ispend2much6 ,

We're so happy to hear that you are already seeing and feeling the results of our HYDRATION, thank you for sharing your experience!

xx

The Beauty Chef

Hi @TheBeautyChef !  I appreciate the opportunity to ask some questions.

I know of someone who suffers from insomnia. Isn't serotonin somehow related to the ability to sleep well, and doesn't it enter into the body via the gut?  This person has celiac disease, so can't have gluten; do starches like whole grain bread encourage sleep?.  Would an increase in foods that contain tryptophan (converts to serotonin in the body,) be helpful for better sleep?  Are there any supplements other than melatonin (which this person can't take) that could help? I don't know if my facts are correct.

Thank you so so much for your time!

@Ispend2much6 - L-tryptophan can be purchased as a supplement (this is what makes you sleepy after eating turkey).  Your friend could also try chamomile tea before going to bed.

@Titian06   I did not know that; thanks!

Hi @Ispend2much6,

We are sorry to hear this about your friend!

Ninety per cent of your serotonin - often referred to as the happy hormone - is produced in your gut.  This mood-boosting hormone is also involved in supporting gut motility, sleep, bone and cardiovascular health. Apart from cultivating good gut health, you can also support serotonin production by eating tryptophan-rich foods such as eggs, seeds, nuts, cheese, lean meat and lentils.

There are other alternatives! Our favorite is, of course ours! THE BEAUTY CHEF - SLEEP Inner Beauty Powder containing lemon balm and passionflower which are traditionally used in Western herbal medicine to reduce sleeplessness and relieve symptoms of mild anxiety, as well as turmeric, traditionally used in Western herbal medicine as a digestive tonic and to relieve inflammation.

We hope you find this helpful and please reach out should you have any further questions! 

xx

The Beauty Chef

@TheBeautyChef   Thank you so much for the info; I had never heard of passionflower being used as a supplement.  I will tell her!

And, great news- I can also take the SLEEP Inner Beauty Powder- the ingredients are okay for me.  I get tired of swallowing pills as supplements, so a powder probiotic/anti-inflammatory is something I am very interested in!

By the way, an acquaintance of mine saw a naturopath, and the doctor recommended Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Boulardii), which is in the SLEEP powder, as being one of the best types of probiotics.

@TheBeautyChef what is your favorite source of fiber? I'm trying to incorporate more fruits/veggies/fiber into my diet currently and I want to make sure I'm selecting high leverage ingredients that will do the most good for my body.

Hi @marydivaWe love sprouted peas, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, spinach, sweet potatoes, chia seeds and turnips!!

xx

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 37 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos1
  • Get-gutsy-with-Carla_-768x512.png
testing