Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

The Wellness Glossary

Ashwagandha, adaptogens, and activated charcoal oh my! There are countless terms used in everyday conversations in the wellness space so we have started a glossary to break down what the health everyone is talking about. (Sorry, we had to :D) We hope you find this guide helpful!

Activated Charcoal: Helps detox thanks to its porous texture which attracts toxins and gases.

Adaptogens: Plants that have been used for centuries to help our bodies cope with the negative effects of stress.

Alkalizing Greens: These help your body maintain an optimal pH level, which means more energy and better digestion. PH Balance is the optimum level of acidity in your body so it can function its best.

Ashwagandha: An ancient adaptogenic herb used to help relax and de-stress.

Biotin: Part of the vitamin B family, Biotin may help stimulate hair and nail growth.

• HUM NUTRITION - Hair Sweet Hair Growth - Vegan Gummies
  • HUM NUTRITION - Killer Nails™ Supplements
  • HUM NUTRITION - Runway Ready Skin, Hair & Nail Repair Kit

Chaga: This adaptogen has been shown to possess antioxidant properties that support hair, skin, and nail health.

Collagen: Protein that helps build skin strength and elasticity.

Essential Oils: Concentrated plant-based oils that can be used to enhance your mood. Many essential oils can be enjoyed with a diffuser, such as Vitruvi's Stone Diffuser, for an effect similar to a room spray. 

• VITRUVI - Organic Eucalyptus Essential Oil
  • VITRUVI - Organic Lavender Oil

Lion's Mane: An adaptogen that has been shown to improve memory and help with concentration.

• FOUR SIGMATIC - Mushroom Matcha Drink Mix with Lion's Mane & Ginger
  • FOUR SIGMATIC - Mushroom Coffee Mix with Lion's Mane & Chaga

Matcha: Green tea powder that’s high in antioxidants and natural caffeine.

• FOUR SIGMATIC - Mushroom Matcha Drink Mix with Lion's Mane & Ginger
  • FOUR SIGMATIC - Mushroom Matcha Latte Mix with Maitake
  • MOON JUICE - Cosmic Matcha™
  • VITAL PROTEINS - Matcha Collagen

Melatonin: A hormone that supports restful beauty sleep, widely used in supplements.

Prebiotics and Probiotice: Probiotics are good bacteria and yeast that keep your digestive system healthy. Prebiotics are foods that nourish probiotics and, in turn, help keep your microbiome in balance.

Reishi: An adaptogen known to support sleep and relaxation.

• FOUR SIGMATIC - Chai Latte Mushroom Mix with Turkey Tail & Reishi
  • FOUR SIGMATIC - Mushroom Hot Cacao Mix with Reishi

Tumeric: This root, related to ginger, is an age-old ingredient used in healing.

• FOUR SIGMATIC - Golden Latte Mushroom Mix with Shiitake & Turmeric

While we are passionate about wellness, we are not experts so be sure to do your homework on what is and is not right for you and consult a wellness professional.

Feel free to comment with questions about the wellness terms you're hearing or want to learn more about!

Re: The Wellness Glossary

Very informative. thank you

Anonymous Insider

Way to be extra on these "wellness" terms!  Admirable, but I caution believing all the hype for these products.  I'm a PhD chemist (focus on organic small molecules and immunology), and while much of these molecules technically function as described, the overall systemic outcomes are dubious, to say the least.

Alkalizing greens:  body pH is VERY well-regulated naturally.  products like alkaline water or any with ions (yes, these are just salts), are, unfortunately, bogus.  just drink lots of plain water and eat a balanced diet.  if, however, you like the taste of foods or drinks, have at it!  just don't pay for the artificial sense of pH balance.

Biotin, collagen, and other large natural products:  these are extremely shelf-unstable and, depending on the formulation, may have little tissue penetration and efficacy.  why do companies produce them?  because the have a huge profit margin and little federal regulation.  if you insist on using these products, invest in cold storage.

Essential oils:  watch (Un)Well on Netflix.  again, if smelling oils lifts your mood, go for it!  i have a stash of lemongrass, myself.  but, for the love of yourself, do not consume these in regular, high quantities.  stick with tea and moisturizer.

Melatonin:  not totally bogus, but medically-speaking, it is a lightly addictive physical sedative.  if you want truly restful sleep, try yoga, meditation, or talk to your primary care physician.

The Wellness Glossary

I love this post!!! I want to add to the turmeric part, that Golde makes incredibly delicious mixes and is now sold at Sephora!! I have a Cacao Turmeric latte before bed every night 💕

Hello! Because this is sort of a background post/topic, I think it would be fitting to add the origins of some of these adaptogenics and where some of the practice of incorporating them originated. For instance, Ayreveda, Eastern Medicine, etc. Just to acknowledge and give reverence to the roots. @TeamBIC 

@TeamBIC Can you please update your original post and add from where practices of incorporating these herbs/components originated?  Thank you! 

@KatieBT  I could be completely making this up, but did you post something a while back about trying Moon Juice SuperYou? If so, are you still using it and having good results? Sorry if I'm not remembering correctly, but I seem to recall you mentioning something about this. I'm curious because I have some on the way to me. 🙂

Moon Juice SuperYou® Daily Stress Management Refillable Supplement 60 capsules

@PrettyPaint yes good memory! @LexBT and I both tested it out for one month and shared results on this thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Wellness-Warriors/The-Wellness-Diaries-SuperYou/m-p/4356326

It really seemed to work as far as stress management and I say that because my stress levels have been elevated at times I haven't been taking SuperYou. It took a couple of weeks for both of us to notice a huge difference but I can tell it works because whenever I stop taking it I am more stressed. These really seem like a natural chill pill and it's one of those products I never want to run out of. For me, it's well worth the investment in my own self-care. Speaking of which, I am due for another bottle because I ran out last week and am feeling the difference!

@MoonJuice  please make a giant bottle of SuperYou  ❤️ 

@KatieBT  Thanks so much for linking to the thread! I thought I remembered something like that, but I couldn’t remember where it was located. I’m so glad that it’s still working for you, and that’s great that you can actually notice a difference. I purchased the superyou supplement and their matcha powder, so can’t wait to try! The giant bottle sounds like a great idea! 

@PrettyPaint let me know what you think! I ended up picking up a new bottle last night at the mall after this conversation... Can't be without my SuperYou apparently. *leaves the Sephora office and goes directly to a Sephora store*

@KatieBT  Glad you were able to replenish your stash! I will definitely know what I think, and I’m feeling very optimistic now after chatting with you about it. 

@TeamBIC That's a really nice breakdown of products/ingredients!  I'm familiar with some of the ingredients but not all of them so it's interesting to see a quick overview.

RE: The Wellness Glossary

Wow! Thanks for sharing, this is fascinating and really helpful! 😊

The Wellness Glossary

Very interesting, @TeamBIC! I never actually knew what an adaptogen was.

Great idea @TeamBIC! 💖💖💖

@TeamBIC Thank you for sharing this.  This is really informative and helpful. 

Thanks! This is helpful @TeamBIC 

Thank you for all the info @TeamBIC!

@TeamBIC Love the idea of this!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 127 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
testing