cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Last Week! - Healthy scalp and hair tips

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge

Ready or not, 2023 is here, and the Beauty Insider Community is kicking the year off the best way we know how: with our annual Self-Care Check-In Challenge! Whether or not youโ€™re a resolution-maker, thereโ€™s something kind of satisfying about the idea of a โ€œfresh startโ€ ๐Ÿงผ and while weโ€™re big supporters of maintaining boundaries and practicing self-care all year round, it doesnโ€™t hurt to have a little extra motivation to set healthy (and/or relaxing) habits.

Think of this thread as the place to check in with your fellow Community members and share how youโ€™re practicing different types of self-care โ€“ they can be inspired by our weekly inspo prompts, or based on your own unique self-care needs or beauty intentions. If one theme doesnโ€™t speak to you โ€“ by all means, skip it! You can still stop by to cheer on your fellow Community members! ๐Ÿค—

• Week 1 (1/4-1/10): Perfecting your nighttime skincare routine
  • Week 2 (1/11-1/17): Adding some movement to your day (and post-exercise relaxation!)
  • Week 3 (1/18-1/24): Spending extra time on body care (dry brushing, exfoliating treatments, bath time?)
  • Week 4 (1/25-1/31): Organizing your beauty collection (it can be therapeutic!) 
  • Week 5 (2/1-2/7): Relaxing with home scents and candles
  • Week 6 (2/8-2/14): Experimenting with a new-to-you wellness trend (supplements, rollers, CBDโ€ฆ) 
  • Week 7 (2/15-2/21): Getting a good nightโ€™s sleep
  • Week 8 (2/22-2/28): Trying a healthy scalp and haircare routine โ—€

Hit the reply button below and let us know โ€“ how are you practicing self-care in 2023? Donโ€™t forget to tag any products youโ€™re using to achieve your goals, if applicable, by using the โ€œ#โ€ sign!

Re: 2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Last Week! - Healthy scalp and hair tips

I use #JVN Complete Pre-Wash Scalp & Hair Treatment Oil 1.7 oz/ 50 mL prior to washing. I try to only wash 1-2 times per week. I like to use sulfate free shampoos and try to really massage my scalp when shampooing. Sometimes, I rinse a little to get some more lather to double cleanse without using more product.

One of the great products from the Holiday Hair Gratis! ๐Ÿ˜. This serum is refreshing, soothing and relaxing for my scalp: OUAI Hydrating Scalp Serum for Healthy, Fuller Looking Hair 2 oz / 60 mL 

I am not sure if I would re-purchase due to price but I might for the hairapy it provides for me. I have not been kind to my hair for several years, lol. It doesn't weigh my fine hair down while using it 2 days in a row on dry & wet hair. I didn't follow the directions by parting but massaged it in when my hair is in a bun. It feels so good on my scalp! I certainly have less flakes. The jury is still out on the reduction of shedding. 

I wish they made a perfume or room spray of this Cape Town scent, I love the spearmint notes!

@Buootiful This sounds lovely. The spearmint sounds refreshing on the scalp. I still have yet to try mine. 

OMGosh, @Buootiful !  I reread the instructions and I've been applying completely wrong!  I agree, it feels really nice; maybe that's why I hadn't even noticed! ๐Ÿ˜„

I recently tried the Oribe Serene Scalp Exfoliating Scrub 4.2 oz/ 125 mL , it was interesting and I love the packaging but I think I'd rather just double-cleanse with shampoo. I purchased the Gisou Honey Infused Hair Wash Shampoo after being fortunate enough to win a deluxe gift set during a webinar in 2020, and it's better than I remember?! I have chemically treated him and this shampoo is so gentle and cleansing. I've been alternating conditioners, amika Bust Your Brass Blonde Purple Conditioner & Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Conditioner , but I look forward to probably going back to my favourite tried and true OUAI Medium Hair Conditioner 10 oz/ 300 mL .

For styling, I use Gisou Propolis Infused Heat Protecting Spray 6.7 oz/ 200 mL and OUAI Finishing Crรจme 3.4 oz/ 101 mL . I'm waiting to finish the Gisou spray before ordering the COLOR WOW Dream Coat Supernatural Spray Anti-Frizz Treatment since it's been allover my FYP on Tiktok.

@lavendersmoke Great routine. The Color Wow Spray is really nice.

I love using amika Reset Scalp Clarifying Gel Shampoo 6.7 oz/ 200 mL  it has a nice scent as well!

@charlie7700 Clarifying and a nice scent? Those are two things that are a must in a shampoo for me!

Week 8 Scalp care

does anyone know of a good scalp sunscreen?  I burn my scalp at least once in the winter and again in the summer.  I wear a hat but sometimes a hat isn't appropriate.

@CynthieLu @itsfi   no more burnt scalp for me 

IMG_20230309_130907658_HDR.jpg

โ€ƒ

This product really works.  Went skiing on a warm day so a hat would be too warm.  I sprayed COOLA Scalp & Hair Sunscreen & Color Protection Mist with SPF 30 and at the end of the day no burnt scalp even on a bluebird sky day at high altitude.

Woohoo! ๐Ÿ™Œ I'm so happy to hear this performed so well for you @CorgiMommy๐Ÿ˜ It's really such a great product! 

@CorgiMommy Happy scalp = happy hair

I am happy you found this!

Oh that's good news! @CorgiMommy

@CorgiMommy, sun protection for the scalp is important. Coola makes a sunblock for the scalp COOLA Scalp & Hair Sunscreen & Color Protection Mist with SPF 30 and so does Aveda. I like that both are a spray. 

Those are neat @itsfi! ๐ŸŒž  Do you like them? I imagine they are best washed out at the end of the day?

Sorry for just now getting around to responding @CynthieLu. I like these scalp sunscreens. I tend to use them when I know I'll be out directly in the sun for a long period of time (few hours, half the day, all day) and will not be wearing a hat / cap or when wearing one may not be practical or something I planned to do. I definitely wash my hair on the day(s) that I use these sunblocks - in part because of the product but also because I'm probably doing something the day that I have it on where my hair/scalp gets pretty dirty/wet and a wash is definitely called for. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Thank you so much for the info and feed back on it ! I was curious ๐Ÿ˜‹ @itsfi 

Oouch @CorgiMommy 

I've never used a scalp sunscreen, I know Sun Bum has a scalp hair mist that says it is SPF 30 but I've never used it and can't say from experience how it performs. 

That's a good dermatologist question, is sun screen that's safe for your face, safe for your scalp? I don't know the answer to that ๐Ÿง

This last year or two I've made some big changes in my routines, and my hair and scalp love me more these days ๐Ÿ˜… 

1) Using the right brush for your hair type. My long,dense, fine hair has never been happier since I changed to a Boar Bristle Brush ( There are synthetic ones also ๐Ÿ’—)

My hair looks nicer and glossier and using the brush feels great on my scalp too.

The brushes I used before just didn't work with my hair the way these ones do. It was a pleasant surprise how big of a difference it made for me.  Defintley a game changer ๐Ÿ™Œ 

2) Scalp Oils

My scalp must have been missing something thing. It used to be itchy and had more build up,  I shed more. Enter The Ordinarys Hair Density Scalp Serum.

This,  with just 2 drops a night , cleared up my scalp itches. And with months of consistent daily use, my hair is growing nicely. I feel like it's denser along my hair line. In general my scalp just feels good ๐Ÿ˜„ and with using it lightly at night,  those 2 drops don't leave me greasy in the morning. 

3) Silk ( or satin) Pillow Case 

These is a nice treat for my face and my hair ( Bonus ๐Ÿ˜‹) It's less rough and easier on my hair. I can tell my hair has been more shiny since I got one.  โœจ๏ธ This was such a small move but it made a nice difference.

4) How I wash my hair

I do love using the k18 Detox Shampoo every week or two when I feel my hair or scalp needs a thorough clean (and a good build up removal ๐Ÿ™ƒ)

The shampoo dosen't dry or strip my strands and my scalp just feels refreshed after.  I Pair it with the k18 mask and I've got some very healthy looking hair. After all the hair dyeing I do, these have made a huge improvement in my hair health ๐Ÿฅฐ I did recieve the k18 items in the Holiday Gratis *Thank you so much!*  but I was using k18 months before being given it. My hair loves it,  I have bought this so many times.  It's a holy grail for my head lol

843 Replies
testing