cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Last Week! - Healthy scalp and hair tips

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge

Ready or not, 2023 is here, and the Beauty Insider Community is kicking the year off the best way we know how: with our annual Self-Care Check-In Challenge! Whether or not youโ€™re a resolution-maker, thereโ€™s something kind of satisfying about the idea of a โ€œfresh startโ€ ๐Ÿงผ and while weโ€™re big supporters of maintaining boundaries and practicing self-care all year round, it doesnโ€™t hurt to have a little extra motivation to set healthy (and/or relaxing) habits.

Think of this thread as the place to check in with your fellow Community members and share how youโ€™re practicing different types of self-care โ€“ they can be inspired by our weekly inspo prompts, or based on your own unique self-care needs or beauty intentions. If one theme doesnโ€™t speak to you โ€“ by all means, skip it! You can still stop by to cheer on your fellow Community members! ๐Ÿค—

• Week 1 (1/4-1/10): Perfecting your nighttime skincare routine
  • Week 2 (1/11-1/17): Adding some movement to your day (and post-exercise relaxation!)
  • Week 3 (1/18-1/24): Spending extra time on body care (dry brushing, exfoliating treatments, bath time?)
  • Week 4 (1/25-1/31): Organizing your beauty collection (it can be therapeutic!) 
  • Week 5 (2/1-2/7): Relaxing with home scents and candles
  • Week 6 (2/8-2/14): Experimenting with a new-to-you wellness trend (supplements, rollers, CBDโ€ฆ) 
  • Week 7 (2/15-2/21): Getting a good nightโ€™s sleep
  • Week 8 (2/22-2/28): Trying a healthy scalp and haircare routine โ—€

Hit the reply button below and let us know โ€“ how are you practicing self-care in 2023? Donโ€™t forget to tag any products youโ€™re using to achieve your goals, if applicable, by using the โ€œ#โ€ sign!

Re: 2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Week 6 - Wellness break!

Well, I must admit that I saw the title preview and didnโ€™t read the full description, so this is not exactly on theme for this week, lol!  But, the other day, I was feeling some stress and wanted a break. So, I took off to the bathroom refuge for a mask and a glass of wine. 

I chose the Lovinah Blue Butterfly Mask and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc! Uh, so not exactly a new-to-me wellness trend, but soothing nonetheless! This mask was actually a bit more tingly than I remembered but has a heavenly, soft scent and a lovely texture! Cheers! 

(Hmm, canโ€™t seem to post pics again from iPad, so Iโ€™ll update form phone shortly!)

Okay, posted the pic from phone and that wine glass looks massive, but I promise itโ€™s just the angle, lol!

8529247F-3CB8-404E-8A01-D6CD6C922EE9.jpeg

โ€ƒ

A lovely looking self care evening โ€Œ๐Ÿ˜Šโ€Œโ€Œ๐Ÿ’™โ€Œ @sister13 

I love the bright colours of your mask โ€Œ๐Ÿ˜„โ€Œ
๐Ÿ˜„

Week 6 (2/8-2/14): Experimenting with a new-to-you wellness trend (supplements, rollers, CBDโ€ฆ) 

Every year, I try out a couple of the wellness-trends-du-jour. One that I've been making an effort to include more regularly into my body care routine are CBD-infused oils.
Self Care Week 6 - Trends 1.jpg 

I discovered the benefits of CBD oils 3 or 4 years ago when I decided to give #Ellis Brooklyn Marvelous CBD Massage & Body Oil Rollerball 0.27 oz/ 8 mL Rollerball  a try. I was experiencing more tightness and soreness in that area between the base of my neck and top of my shoulders. It's on thicker side but is not heavy, and it absorbs smoothly and quickly. To my surprise, it did a wonderful job of relieving some of the tension. It wasn't a cure-all miracle (and I didn't expect it to be) but it was enough to make me take notice; enough to make repeated purchase of the rollerball, recommend it to others, eventually purchase a full size #Ellis Brooklyn Marvelous CBD Massage and Body Oil 1.0oz/ 30mL Pump #, and make an effort to use it once per week or every other week as part of taking care of my body. For those wondering about the scent, I'd describe it as fresh and woodsy; what I pick up is the pine extract in it. While it's noticeable, it's neither soft nor pronounced. I like the scent; it has a calming, zen or spa-like quality to it.

The Prima Beyond Body Oil Lightweight, Anti-Aging & Nourishing Oil 6 oz/ 177 mL # was part of a sub box gifted to me last summer that I'm getting around to it.๐Ÿ˜ฌ  A mistake on my part for waiting so long. The lightweight oil feels silky and does a beautiful job of relieving the tension I carry and hydrating my skin. The citrusy earthy blend is really nice, and unexpected. I've been using this in the evenings about once maybe twice per week, and it's a nice way to relax and unwind while helping to relieve some aches and pains.

I've never used CBD oil @itsfi but I've heard of it being used for pain relief for a variety of ailments. That's so great it's helping ease pain noticeably.  I would wonder about the smell of that, lol, but woodsy sounds nice ๐ŸŒฒ

@CynthieLu, I was worried about the scent at first as well. Haven't had an issue with these and it does help with the muscle tension.

New to you Wellness trend:

I'm ready for this one, too encourage a good night's rest try these 3 things at bedtime ๐ŸŒ™ ๐Ÿ˜ด

1) Anything you want to do the next day that your worried about forgetting or just want to remember to do,  write it down. 

2) When you are in bed ready to sleep, tell yourself 3 good things that happened to you or made your day better,  were a positive or a highlight etc โœจ๏ธ it can be anything 

3) Put your phone and electronics away an hour before you plan to go to sleep.

It can be hard to get a good night's rest and it's sooo important, I heard about this technique and am trying to implement it into my sleep routine. It's supposed to help ease you mind and reduce stress ๐Ÿ˜‡

Ohhhh, I like the sound of #2! Going to give that a try @CynthieLu!

I went to a doctor last month about some sleep-relied issues Iโ€™ve been having. He suggested Valerian Root extract as a non-addictive alternative to melatonin and other sleep-inducing medication. I havenโ€™t been the best at taking it regularly but on days that I do take it, I find that my quality of sleep is a little better. If anyone is interested, you can get it as a tea but Iโ€™ve just been taking it in capsule form. It should be available in the health supplement section of your local drugstore. 

Oooh I've never heard of this. I've heard of Gabba or Magnesium for sleep aids and stress reduction. But not Valarian root, I'm intrigued ๐Ÿ‘€ @JoSometimes 

@CynthieLu It should be in the supplement section at your local drugstore or wherever you get supplements from. It should also be on Amazon. The doctor mentioned that the taste of the tea isnโ€™t for everyone, so I skipped it altogether and went for capsules. 

Experiencing a new to you trend

I am trying that colder shower trend.  I start with a warm shower and then end with a blast of cold water.  I will say it is a shock but I have been lowering the water temperature slowly.

I would love to try a lymphatic drain massage , I would love to hear from those that have had one.

i love cold water showers! they have helped keep my summer tan for longer.

@CorgiMommy Iโ€™ve had myofascial release massages done and they are amazing! Itโ€™s a similar concept to lymphatic drainage except focusing on the connective tissues by breaking up the tension and built up lactic acid or something. Iโ€™ve been trying to do more lymphatic drainage in my face/neck, but whole body would be great. 

@CorgiMommy @I have had them done in my pelvic floor Therapy sessions so it wasnโ€™t a full body one but it felt amazing and I could see a difference. I started to do them on myself at home. 

Oooh nooo @CorgiMommy ๐Ÿฅถ I would be to scared to try this, it's sooo cold outside I want all the warmies inside ๐Ÿ”ฅ 

I want hear how this experiment goes, it must be invigorating! I have heard of cold therapy for pain relief but I am not a good candidate ๐Ÿคฃ

@CorgiMommy This is the first Iโ€™ve heard of this trend, but I do remember from taking sports medicine years ago in high school that alternating between hot and cold is a good way to promote healing and do a sort of โ€œflushingโ€ in your body. The heat dialates the blood vessels, which helps your immune system get to where it needs to be to help the healing process, while the cold constricts them and helps with pain and swelling.

As someone with eczema, I know Iโ€™m not supposed to take a hot shower but I just LOVE how it feels. I usually try to return to a cooler โ€œnormalโ€ temperature towards the end. I actually just finished fixing an issue with my hot water tank and turned the dial back a setting cooler out of guiltโ€ฆ Maybe Iโ€™ll try going colder in the future too!

I've been wanting to try some herbal lemon teas to soothe my throat.  I clench a lot out of stress.  I'm looking at a lemon loaf tea by Tazo and another lemon one by Traditional Medicinals at Target.  I'm concerned they'll be too tart, tho.

@greeneyedgirl107 A great (and super easy) concoction for throat irritation is just straight up hot lemon water with some honey. But that Tazo lemon loaf tea is absolutely delicious and worth picking up anyway. 

@alexasteph do u think I should use lemons or lemon juice?

@greeneyedgirl107 I just squeeze fresh lemons then drop the wedge in. If you donโ€™t want it too tart, a quarter of a lemon will do, or add more honey. 

@TeamBIC thanks for the info!

843 Replies
testing