cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Last Week! - Healthy scalp and hair tips

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge

Ready or not, 2023 is here, and the Beauty Insider Community is kicking the year off the best way we know how: with our annual Self-Care Check-In Challenge! Whether or not you’re a resolution-maker, there’s something kind of satisfying about the idea of a “fresh start” 🧼 and while we’re big supporters of maintaining boundaries and practicing self-care all year round, it doesn’t hurt to have a little extra motivation to set healthy (and/or relaxing) habits.

Think of this thread as the place to check in with your fellow Community members and share how you’re practicing different types of self-care – they can be inspired by our weekly inspo prompts, or based on your own unique self-care needs or beauty intentions. If one theme doesn’t speak to you – by all means, skip it! You can still stop by to cheer on your fellow Community members! 🤗

• Week 1 (1/4-1/10): Perfecting your nighttime skincare routine
  • Week 2 (1/11-1/17): Adding some movement to your day (and post-exercise relaxation!)
  • Week 3 (1/18-1/24): Spending extra time on body care (dry brushing, exfoliating treatments, bath time?)
  • Week 4 (1/25-1/31): Organizing your beauty collection (it can be therapeutic!) 
  • Week 5 (2/1-2/7): Relaxing with home scents and candles
  • Week 6 (2/8-2/14): Experimenting with a new-to-you wellness trend (supplements, rollers, CBD…) 
  • Week 7 (2/15-2/21): Getting a good night’s sleep
  • Week 8 (2/22-2/28): Trying a healthy scalp and haircare routine ◀

Hit the reply button below and let us know – how are you practicing self-care in 2023? Don’t forget to tag any products you’re using to achieve your goals, if applicable, by using the “#” sign!

Re: 2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Week 7 - Getting a good night's sleep!

That sounds sooo good @ather 

Cozy and soothing ‌‌‌😄‌‌

Honestly for me getting a good night sleep is super difficult as I do suffer from insomnia. What helps me out is a nice shower and ending off the night with your skincare routine, my favorite by far face wash is the Youth To The People Cleanse Your Way: Superfood Antioxidant Cleanser Duo  after using this I apply a moisturizer with some serums from First Aid Beauty Hydrating Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.7 oz / 50 mL . If you need that extra boost of moisture I would end it off with a facial oil from tatcha

@Bophamak  Oh no. I get bouts of insomnia also! Your skincare routine is so luxe! 

I should have read the challenges a little carefully! Last week, I mentioned Valerian root extract to help with sleep. It’s a non-addictive alternative to melatonin and should be available at local drug stores in the health supplement section. Other things I do are a nice cool room and a warm blanket, comfy pyjamas, pink noise, and no lights on, not even LEDs from devices. I have to turn them around or cover them up. I also try not to do anything mentally or physically strenuous before sleeping.

I almost forgot! I did invest in a comfortable pillow last year. I got mine from Casper. Being able to give it a try first was really helpful in making an informed decision, especially since it wasn’t cheap. 

@JoSometimes  So smart!! I am so bad with devices before bed. I work all day and I try and be off my devices when my son is around so night time is the only time I have. 

Week 7 (2/15-2/21): Getting a good night’s sleep

I've had insomnia for decades.  I worry about and stress over everything.  I also have night sweats (who needs a water bed) and they've only gotten worse since becoming postmenopausal.  Since the end of December, I've been trying to go to bed at the same time each night.  I put aside my electronics 30 minutes to 1 hour before I go to bed.  Once I'm in bed, I do deep breathing to relax.  Most importantly, my cat started sleeping with me, which has really helped!  I also try to get up at the same time each morning weekday, weekend, vacation, or holiday.  So far I'm getting more continuous sleep.  Though it's still about 4 hours, it's just not as intermittent. 

Oooh kitty snuggles are great for relaxing @Titian06 

I think powering off electronics an hour before bed is so helpful to sleep it's just not always easy to do 😋

@Titian06  Awww that’s great you’re getting more continuous sleep!! I’m a fellow worrier. I worry about everything. I like to use sleep meditation while I’m trying to sleep. My problem is falling asleep and it helped! 

Getting a good nights sleep is a bit of a challenge. I need to have meditation music playing to focus on so I don’t think of all the things I didn’t get done and could possibly still do😅.  My phone has to be away from the bed to avoid me looking and exposing myself to a light source… a hot bath before bed makes me sleepy by lowering my blood pressure and usually a hot beverage is pretty soothing.  I love Tim Hortons Herbal Apple Tea before bed atm. 

@heartsmyfaceTea is nice and calming before bedtime. I love that your choice is from Timmies. It tugs at my Canadian heartstrings! 🇨🇦

I hear writing the things you want to get done the next day down, it can help calm your mind for bed time @heartsmyface 

Oooh herbal apple tea at timmies? We don't have that fun flavour here yet, exciting! Maybe we'll get them too 😁

@CynthieLu   I’ll give that a go!  I will try anything for a few more minutes of sleep:). 
They have it in the grocery store so you don’t have to go to actual Timmies.  I think I’ve seen it almost everywhere.  Way more convenient!  

image.jpg

Oooh is like that timmies cereal lol you can't get it at timmies but it's on the grocery shelves. I'm keeping my eyes out for it, I love hot appley drinks 🧡

Yeah if you write things out, they won't plague your mind as much. And telling yourself 3 things that made your day better were good or positive every night is supposed to , over time, reduce anxiety at sleep because it trains your mind to focus on good things and that's a nice way to go to sleep lol 

We're practicing these habits at home to get more rest with less stress. Talking with my son about 3 good things that happened to him every night at bed time is a fun little thing for us to do togeather and if it helps him have a better night's sleep, we'll I like that too 😋 @heartsmyface 

@heartsmyface  Ooooo Tims apple tea sounds delicious!! I like to listen to meditation before bed too!! 

Getting good sleep is so difficult for me. I suffer from insomnia & I’m a light sleeper. Things that have helped me slightly are black out curtains, playing brown noise on the Alexa & using a black out eye mask. 

@jujuface  Yes! Can’t live without my blackout curtains!

Week 7 (2/15-2/21): Getting a good night’s sleep ◀

I  try to be super consistent with bed time which definitely helps. I’ve definitely found that as I’ve gotten a bit older I’m way more thrown off by an occasional night out for sure. 

I really like my kitsch pillow cases which I bought from Sephora but I guess they don’t have them anymore. I love that they have a zipper so the pillow doesn’t slide out 

@Kim888  Really sephora doesn’t carry the kitch pillow cases!! I have 2 and I’ve been waiting for a restock to get more 😭

@ather @It looks like they may be dropping the brand - when I search it doesnt come up anymore, at least on the US side. Ulta has them though

• Week 7 (2/15-2/21): Getting a good night’s sleep I struggle with wanting to get a good nights sleep every night.  I always have so much I want to do while the kiddos are sleeping that often times I am up when I shouldn't be.  I am going to try to make an effort to get 8 hours but ever since being a Mom it's been hard.

Quality sleep is soooo important 😴 🌙 

This is a great goal, letting things slide so you can get the extra z's, you've earned it @SportyGirly125 🩵

1 Reply
testing