cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Last Week! - Healthy scalp and hair tips

2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge

Ready or not, 2023 is here, and the Beauty Insider Community is kicking the year off the best way we know how: with our annual Self-Care Check-In Challenge! Whether or not you’re a resolution-maker, there’s something kind of satisfying about the idea of a “fresh start” 🧼 and while we’re big supporters of maintaining boundaries and practicing self-care all year round, it doesn’t hurt to have a little extra motivation to set healthy (and/or relaxing) habits.

Think of this thread as the place to check in with your fellow Community members and share how you’re practicing different types of self-care – they can be inspired by our weekly inspo prompts, or based on your own unique self-care needs or beauty intentions. If one theme doesn’t speak to you – by all means, skip it! You can still stop by to cheer on your fellow Community members! 🤗

• Week 1 (1/4-1/10): Perfecting your nighttime skincare routine
  • Week 2 (1/11-1/17): Adding some movement to your day (and post-exercise relaxation!)
  • Week 3 (1/18-1/24): Spending extra time on body care (dry brushing, exfoliating treatments, bath time?)
  • Week 4 (1/25-1/31): Organizing your beauty collection (it can be therapeutic!) 
  • Week 5 (2/1-2/7): Relaxing with home scents and candles
  • Week 6 (2/8-2/14): Experimenting with a new-to-you wellness trend (supplements, rollers, CBD…) 
  • Week 7 (2/15-2/21): Getting a good night’s sleep
  • Week 8 (2/22-2/28): Trying a healthy scalp and haircare routine ◀

Hit the reply button below and let us know – how are you practicing self-care in 2023? Don’t forget to tag any products you’re using to achieve your goals, if applicable, by using the “#” sign!

Re: 2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Week 5 - Relax and unwind!

@TeamBIC  ! I don’t have a fireplace so a little cozy candle really makes me feel at home !!! 

I definitely have been super happy about the Sephora Favorites candle sampler the last two years ! This year I chose the Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' By The Fireplace Scented Candle 5.8 oz/ 165 g and I absolutely love the warm spicy scent it gives me apartment ! And it has really excellent throw! 

I admit I do rely a little too heavily on bath and bodywork’s otherwise haha. Two of my favorite winter scenes are Flannel and Cinnamon and Clove. 

@Kim888, By the Fireplace sets a beautiful mood. ♥️ Both the cold and hot throws from the candle are wonderful. 

Candles are a great way to set up a relaxing and romantic mood @Kim888 . Yours has to smell amazing!

@TeamBIC  It’s pretty cold here now so relaxing with candles and blankets has naturally been happening. Something about seeing a flame makes me feel warmer even if the heat output isn’t that high.  

I’m currently burning through Jo Malone London Lime Basil & Mandarin Travel Candle 2.1 oz/ 60 g 

it’s for a beautiful fresh fragrance I forget I’m smelling until I leave the room and come back in. Good reason to get up and get snacks;) 

I love the feels you get all over again when you walk back into the room and pick up the scent on a candle @heartsmyface. Ahhhhh!!! 😍 JM Lime Basil and Mandarin has such a lovely, fresh, spicy and herbal scent. 

Week 5 (2/1-2/7): Relaxing with home scents and candles ◀

Candles all on, fireplace turned on (yes it is gas), snuggling under a blanket, and dogs cuddling with me.   This is my idea of self care.  Life is good 

Ahhhh, this sounds like a perfect way to relax and unwind @CorgiMommy

That's beautiful @CorgiMommy 

🐶‌‌❄️

Enjoy a fireplace cuddle with your cute wee furbabies. ❤

Re: 2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Week 4 - Let's organize our beauty collections!

Playing catchup on this challenge.

Week 1 (1/4-1/10): Perfecting your nighttime skincare routine

My nighttime skincare routine at the moment is either focused on brightening my complexion or keeping my skin and skin barrier happy, healthy, hydrated and moisturized, or both. My routine consists of a set of staples that I've been using pretty much every night and then a pool of extras to reach for depending on my skin's needs. 

Here's my current routine for hydration and brightening. 

Self Care - Week 1 Skincare 1.jpg

Spoiler
1. Bioderma Micellar Water (not shown) to break down SPF and makeup
2. Odacite Omega Oil Cleanser
3. Biossance Squalane + Elderberry Nourishing Jelly Cleanser 5.07 oz / 150 mL 
4. L'Occitane Immortelle Reset Overnight Reset Oil-In Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL 
5. Paula's Choice Water-Infusing Electrolyte Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 
6. LANEIGE Radian-C Cream with Vitamin C 1.0 oz/ 30 mL 

On evenings when I need something heavier, I'll swap out items 5 and 6 for Farmacy Honey Halo Ultra-Hydrating Ceramide Moisturizer and The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL 

and here are the extras

Self Care - Week 1 - Skincare 2.jpg

Spoiler
- To decongest pores and exfoliate, I'll use either First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads with Glycolic + Lactic Acids  or Dior Capture Dreamskin 1-Minute Mask 2.5 oz / 75 mL about once 7-10 days depending on how my skin is feeling. 
- iNNBEAUTY PROJECT Bright & Tight Dark Circle Firming Eye Cream with Vitamin C & Peptides 0.5 oz / 15 mL is typically a morning eye cream as the peach tint helps to diminsh the appearance of dark spots, but I've been using it occasionally in the evening as well. 
- Toun 28 Propolis + Vitamin C + B3, B5, B6 serum packs in so many great skincare ingredients; I love how it hydrates and brightens my complexion with consistent use.

Week 2 (1/11-1/17): Adding some movement to your day (and post-exercise relaxation!)

I've been trying to get the gym a few times during the work week, either in the morning before work or in the evening on my way home, and to walk as often as I can on the weekends. For post-exercise relaxation, it's a few minutes in the steam room or sauna. 

Week 3 (1/18-1/24): Spending extra time on body care (dry brushing, exfoliating treatments, bath time?)

Dry brushing is great; it's something I do more in the warmer months but this is reminding me to see about incorporating that  into my skincare routine. Thanks for the reminder and prompt @TeamBIC

Self Care - Week 2.jpg

Tatcha Hinoki Hydrating Body Oil 3.38 oz / 100 mL is great for moisturizing dry skin without leaving it greasy. The soft, herbal, slight earthy scent gives off a spa-like feel that is relaxing and very calming. Pairing the oil with the Sol de Janeiro Body Firmeza Massage Tool helps to relieve some achy spots, and help with lymphatic drainage. 

Week 4 (1/25-1/31): Organizing your beauty collection (it can be therapeutic!) 

I've had plans to do some reorganizing of my beauty collection, but it's been slow going this month, made even slower by a few projects, deadlines, and getting side-tracked by own clumsiness - I'm nursing a sprained knee and some soreness in a lot of different places so I've been focused even more on last week's theme of extra time on body care, including getting a deep tissue massage over the weekend. 😊

Re: 2023 Self-Care Check-In Challenge: Week 4 - Let's organize our beauty collections!

Thank you for sharing your nightime routine, @itsfi! I'm focusing on brightening my complexion, too (along with wrinkles).  I need to try dry brushing again, I got lazy about it. I hope your knee heals soon! 💓

Thank you @curlychiquita. It’s easy for dry brushing to be out of sight, out of mind. I should move the brush to the table where I can see it. 

@itsfi @I got that oil in a serum in a gift set for Christmas - I haven’t started using it yet though! I’m glad you’re liking it ! 

@Kim888, that’s awesome that you received it in a gift set. 😃 I like that it is lightweight with a serum consistency but hydrates and plumps my skin overnight like an oil would. I don’t mind heavier facial oils but it’s nice to have a lighter formulation for when my skin is more combination or when I don’t want to have something heavy on my face. I first tried it a few years ago, and it’s been in my stash ever since. I primarily use it in the fall winter but lately have been rotating it into my  routine at other times during the year. 

I’ll be interested to hear what you think of it. You live in a place with more extreme temps than I do so I’m curious to know how it performs for you. 

@itsfi @sorry to hear about your sprained knee. I hope you have a speedy recovery. 

@SportyGirly125, thank you. It'll just take time.

@itsfi I know what you mean. I have been dealing with a bone bruise on my funny bone (right hand side that I write with) since September. I even went to see a physical therapist, had my Doctor and the ER take an look, and had a X-ray done to make sure it wasn’t fractured. They all said the same thing that it would take time to heal.  In the beginning months I was in so much pain.  I did blame it on cleaning because I ran my elbow into the wall multiple times in one week really hard. Who knew cleaning could be dangerous. 

@SportyGirly125, I’m sorry; that sounds painful. 

I’m sorry to hear about your knee @itsfi but I’m glad to hear you’re on the mend. My physiotherapist told me movement helps with blood flow, which helps with healing.  Hopefully it hasn’t prevented you from going about your typical routine and you’re still able to get around. 

Awww, thank you @JoSometimes! I've been able to go about my day to day things for the most part; sometimes just a little slower than normal, but that's to be expected. You're right, movement definitely helps. There's a little soreness and still some swelling but the latter has gone down a lot. I was able to bend and lift my knee on its own the other day so that felt good to be able to do. 

@itsfi - I'm sorry to hear about your sprained knee and other aches and pains! 🤕  I hope you're feeling better soon!  (((HUG)))  Isn't it great when you finally find a skincare routine that works?  It took me years; now I just tweak.

Awww, thank you @Titian06! 😃 I have a lot more range of motion in my leg now so that’s great news; better than before! 👍🏼 In the meantime, I’ll be hauling a few more of these - 😆 

Cold pack.jpeg

Oh my goodness, there were times when I didn’t think I’d ever find a routine that worked. 😝 I did have one way back when and then my skin changed and it was back to the drawing board (though with more knowledge about skin care and my own skin). Fortunately, it seems to be less finicky now. 🤞🏼 Learning about the tweaks to make and the signs of when they need to be made is also so important! 

testing