Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

2022 Self-Care Check-in Challenge: Tell us your solo relaxation tips!

2022 Self-Care Check-In Challenge2022 Self-Care Check-In Challenge

Welcome to 2022, Beauty Insider Community! At this point, the importance of “self-care” is talked about so often that it sometimes almost feels like a chore. Which totally defeats the purpose, right? Self-care is important, but it’s meant to be restorative and enjoyable. 🧖‍♀️ That’s why we’re reviving our Self-Care Check-in Challenge, this time with weekly inspiration for themed rituals and beauty resolutions to incorporate into your own self-care routines.

Check back weekly and let us know in the replies: How are you committing to the self-care theme of the week? Share your tips and tricks, or just get motivated by others (you can even check out @haleyvvvv's 2022 Beauty Resolutions/Goals  thread for more inspirational beauty resolutions to kick-start your new year)! And if a certain theme doesn’t speak to your personal self-care needs, skip it! But don’t forget to stop by to cheer on your fellow BIC-ers. 📣

• Week 1 (1/5 – 1/11) – Getting active (…and if contouring is your cardio, that’s cool too!) 🏅
  • Week 2 (1/12 – 1/18) – Taking care of your hair 💇‍
  • Week 3 (1/19 – 1/25) – Improving your sleep routine 😴
  • Week 4 (1/26 – 2/1) – Trying a new wellness trend (supplements, CBD, gua sha, oh my!) 🔮
  • Week 5 (2/2 – 2/8) – Staying organized and productive 📚
  • Week 6 (2/9 – 2/15) – Setting a skincare goal for 2022 😚
  • Week 7 (2/16 – 2/22) – Meditating and mindset 🧘🏼‍
  • Week 8 (2/23 – 3/1) – Relaxing solo (how do you like to unwind when you get a minute to yourself?) 💆🏻‍

Reply below to share how *you* self-care, and don’t forget to tag any products you’re using (if applicable!) using the “#” sign!

Re: 2022 Self-Care Check-in Challenge: Share how you're committing to a better sleep routine!

For last few weeks, I have started taking long walks after dinner. It helps put my body and mind in that loose state then following in with a shower and night time skincare routine, reading a book for a while in bed and I am off to the Zzzzz land. It has been working pretty well so far as I don’t wake up as often during the night as I was used to be.

Re: 2022 Self-Care Check-in Challenge: Share how you're committing to a better sleep routine!

Magnesium is my new favourite go-to to help me sleep better. But establishing a routine in general is a huge plus, and for me personally it all starts with my skincare routine! A few favourites that I include in it are things with subtle, calming, fragrances such as REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Overnight Recovery Balm 1.02 oz/ 30 mL, REN Clean Skincare Flash Hydro-Boost Instant Plumping Emulsion 1.3 oz/ 38 mL and Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Retinoid Night Oil .

Keeping to a sleep routine is usually fairly easy for me since I get up for work at the same time every day! Things did get away from me a bit during the holidays for sure! 

I do like to relax with some non serious TV and a nice candle!  TOCCA Capri Candle 10 oz/ 287 g  is one of my faves for a light scent! One thing I've really been trying to do is watch any alcohol intake during the week. I don't drink a ton, but its easy for things to get away from me when I'm meeting up with friends and my sleep cycle always gets messed up if I have more than 2 drinks!

@Kim888 I find that alcohol helps me fall asleep quickly (not that I drink often by any means, but just something I’ve noticed). Do you mean it might cause you to oversleep?

@Guessgal If I have 1-2 glasses of wine generally that gives a good night sleep or has no impact. But if I drink more than that I toss and turn a lot and have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep 

I have been working on my sleep routine lately as I find a poor sleep really affects my day 😔

I've always had a hard time winding down for bed and it takes me a long time to the point of turning off everything. 

Slowly making a routine has really helped and I make sure to include relaxing things. Sometimes when I'm stressed I take a bath with Epsom salts and bubble bath. This really helps with pain and relaxation.

I also put on a YouTube channel on my TV in the bedroom with relaxing music/visuals. There are lots of great ones: scenic views, a fireplace, underwater scenes. The music is usually gentle, relaxing and unwinding.

A heat bag for my feet, some pillow spray, and decaf tea also have become part of my routine.

Sweet dreams everyone! 💤

At least one night per week I make it a point of having a "spa night" where I set aside a little extra time before bed to take a hot shower and apply a nice leave-in conditioner that I can rinse out in the morning, use a favorite body cream, maybe do my nails or use a face mask, and spray my pillow with a favorite fragrance.  I end up feeling so relaxed that I definitely feel like I sleep better afterward.  

@CookieGirl1 that sounds like a great way to unwind!

@TeamBICweek 3, sleep routine.

i have a chronic health condition, so managing my sleep routine/winding down is pretty important for helping to control my flare ups.

the first thing I do happens long before I get into bed and it’s that I try to get in some moderate to intense physical activity every single day. My sleep is so much more restful and consistent when I am regularly working out than when I am not.

next, I try to stop eating 3-4 hours before I go to bed. I find when I’ve eaten too close to bedtime that I toss and turn more 😞

then, I set the mood…. When I run my sheets through the wash I always use a lavender scented dryer ball to perfume them. It’s just a faint scent but it helps with the relaxation.

i try to go up to bed at minimum 45-60 minutes before I want to actually *fall* asleep but right before I do, I perform a quick 8 minute “bedtime yoga” routine to help stretch out the muscles, release tension and slow my breathing.

On my nightstand I keep a carafe of water for any middle of the night thirst and a pot of LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C because it’s the last thing I use before I fall asleep. 

lastly, I turn my thermostat down to a somewhat chilly temperature at night. I hate to be cold so I have a giant duvet but I find it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep when I’m not overheating.

pleasant dreams!

@Mochapj the eating thing definitely feels true! When I'm digesting late night snacks it always feels harder to fall asleep!

@TeamBIC Week 1: Getting active

I recently bought an Alo workout outfit (yes, 100% inspired by Chloe Ting) and I’m hoping it’ll keep me motivated to continue exercising at home. I try to exercise before I start work so that it forces me to wake up earlier too and energize me for the rest of the day. After my workouts, I typically cleanse my face with Origins Checks and Balances™ Frothy Face Wash in the shower. I’m always pleased that it requires so little product to work up a lather for my whole face!

D085CB18-CD42-49B9-87E6-725D816723CC.jpeg

That's such a cute outfit, @Guessgal!

@Guessgal @Love Origins Checks and Balances™ Frothy Face Wash 

How is alo?  I keep getting spammed on Instagram. 

I have a collection of Lululemon which I never thought I could afford and wear till I started doing Pilates and now can’t see myself wearing anything else. 

love your pic. I wish my stomach looked like that but then kids happened. 

@SportyGirly125 I am liking Alo so far, especially the additional mesh layer on the sports bra, which makes it feel more breathable. I don't have any sports bras like this so I'm glad I bought it (plus I like having matching top and bottom sets 😅). But they're really expensive... I remember missing their black friday/boxing day sales and regretting it since everything sold out, then somehow found this set I wanted on Bloomingdale's and was shocked that they even shipped to Canada! Anyways, I think they fit really well too. The biker shorts are in a size S because XS was OOS and I was super worried it'd be too loose, but thankfully they turned out fine! 

And yes, I get what you mean. I want to challenge myself to see if I can get abs at some point before my body undergoes any changes too. It seems like you have a pretty solid Pilates routine down, which is impressive!

@Guessgal I know what you mean about athleisure being expensive.  I remember telling myself years ago no way I am going to spend that much money on workout attire.  In the end it turned out to be a great investment because they last after so many washes without pilling.

Week 3 - Improving Your Sleep Routine: 

This topic is something I feel like I have learned a lot on over the years. I hqve found out what has worked for me.

I am thankful that I do get a good quality sleep. I find that routine helps a lot. Before bed I have a skincare routine and of course I brush my teeth. I beleive that routine helps me wind down at the end of the day. I have my Sephora satin pillow which is a treat. I would like to invest in a silk turban to sleep in to prevent my hair from pulling if I toss or turn. Another thing I have been doing as of late is filling up a hot water bottle, wrapping it in a towel and putting under the sheets before I go to bed so the bed is warm when I jump in. I find that if I have cold feet I can not sleep. The water bottle is still warm in the morning. I used to have a hard time winding down because of my own thoughts racing. I find having a notepad next to my bed helps. I write something down that keeps popping up in my mind so I can deal with it when I wake up. Another thing I like to have on my bed side table is a bottle of water and some melatonin. I only take the melatonin if I am having a hard time falling asleep due to stress.  I find reading before bed really helps. I bought a special clip on light for my book so I don't have to get up to turn of the light in my room. Last but not least I put extra scent beads in with my sheets every week when I was my bedding so it smells very fresh and inviting.

The thing I need to work on is reducing screen time before bed.

@Mellmars1185 , I love your notepad at bedside idea.  I sometimes jot my thoughts in a mood tracking app.

My sleep routine/hygiene is definitely in need of improvement.  I do like spraying some scents on my pillow (black opium, ty @TeamBIC ).  I also wear a GE turban to bed and sleep with an eye mask, so my sleep routine's covered scent and ensemble wise

I do try to listen to meditation apps, sometimes it helps 🤷🏽‍♀️

@danielledanielle I need to invest in the silk turban. I love the smell of fresh sheets!

If I can't sleep well, I'm at least sleeping stylishly 🤣 @Mellmars1185 

Hello everyone!! For these week rituals and beauty resolutions that I incorporate into my  self-care routine for improving sleep routing I start by taking a warm shower before bed time. After I shower I spray with Tower 28 Beauty SOS Daily Rescue Facial Spray 4 oz/ 120 mL  and follow up with a  LED facial from the BOOST Light Salon But you can use one  like the  Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Merry, Smooth & Bright  That always relaxes me, then I start by nighttime skincare routine finishing with Tatcha The Kissu Lip Mask  by then I'm super relaxed and ready to sleep. 💕😴

testing