Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Hey Queens! Best volumizer that is not drying?

I'm obsessed with voluminous hair. However, I've found that many volumizing products which I love can be extremely dehydrating. Living Proof's Dry Volume blast can make my hair snap off if I use it too much. I love Big Sexy Hair but can run into the same issue (also full of silicones which I would need a clarifying shampoo to remove and those shampoos are really drying and bad for colored hair). So far, I love Christophe Robin's Instant Volumizing Mist which I apply on damp hair at roots. I also overdirect my hair up when I blowdry at the root. However, if I use this product on my dry hair, it dries it out a lot! Weird. Anywho, looking for other volumizing/non-drying products to add to my arsenal. 

RE: Hey Queens! Best volumizer that is not drying?

Haiiii! The Amika “Brooklyn Bombshell” I love to recommend as it is alcohol free firstly, secondly is a pre-blow product to be sprayed into damp hair before blow-drying; which is in my opinion most effective way of volumizing fine hair. Also want to point out the Bumble & Bumble Invisible Oil Hair Primer. Specifically Cause it can be layered on top of a pre-blow dry volumizing spray to then still get the protection against heat styling and benefits of a primer/treatment. Currently I’m doing the bumble approach on top of the R+CO Dallas and I’m super satisfied. Volumizing my fine hair has always been a concern of mine and I’ve been trying MANY products over the past decade; with a heightened awareness the last two years as I’m noticing male pattern hair loss and cant be having that haha Hope the above helps!

Re: Hey Queens! Best volumizer that is not drying?

@JujuMimi 

It’s important to note that most silicones in hair products (professional) are water soluble. 
Most if not all volumizing lines are protein based which is why you find that they dry out your hair, we are typically used to some moisture in products. Protein plumps up hair. 

Re: Hey Queens! Best volumizer that is not drying?

Thanks for the info! For some reason, I find that even the water soluble silicones can make my hair a bit dull over time. But that might be because I use an extremely gentle shampoo. I'll try switching it up to see if it makes a difference! The protein is def a drying factor, though I don't see it in "most if not all" volumizing lines at Sephora. For example, the ones I mentioned earlier have no protein. Neither does Ouai's Volume Spray, Amika's Un.Done Volumen and Matte Texturizing spray and Volumizing Blow Out Spray, Better Not Younger's Life Me Up Hair Thickener, Living Proof's Perfect Hair Bodybuilder, Kerastase's Volumizing Mousse Bouffante, etc. I do notice more proteins in the volumizing Shampoos and Conditioners than the styling products, though I feel like the styling products actually get you much better results.  

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing