Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Help with thinning hair

My hair has been thinning over the past few years and I have been looking for something that will either stimulate the hair growth or cover it up. I know about rogain but that is a last resort for me since I will loose my hair again if I ever stop it. Help please!

Re: Help with thinning hair

@bandsweeti

I have thinning hair as well, and started Pura d'Or shampoo and conditioner (I'm using the blue label, not the gold one) a few months back. So far so good! I'm seeing a decent bit of new growth, there's less hair in my comb, and it cleans my hair well without weighing it down (my hair is also oily and fine with dry ends, so finding products that leave my hair looking good can be a challenge). Sephora doesn't carry it, but ulta does ($24.99/16oz) and it also makes pretty regular appearances on Hautelook (usually $32 for a set).

Good luck!

RE: Help with thinning hair

I was at the point people were suggesting rogaine. I wasn't trying to go there either. I tried the ouai thinning hair vitamins and my hair looks great. Some people complain of pimples. It has given me one of the most amazing breakouts my life combined with pms due to lots of b vitamins but other than that the stuff really works.

Have you tried taking any supplements like folic acid, or even vitamin compounds made for improving hair and nail strength? Sephora carries Hum supplements that I have heard good things about. Also you could try Nioxin shampoo. It's not Rogaine, but it's a great shampoo on the market for thinning hair. A lot of the times Ulta and Beauty Brands will have it on sale too to make the price tag a bit more easy to swallow. Starting with your doctor first (as mentioned) is a great tip though. Good luck!

Have a doctor check your thyroid levels. This can cause hair thinning. 

There are also many medications that can cause hair loss. This is just a small example:

- acne medications

- antibiotics, antifungal meds

- antidepressants, mood stabilizers

- birth control pill

- blood thinners

- cholesterol-lowering meds

- immunosuppressants

- blood pressure meds

- hormone replacements

- anti-inflammatories

If you've been prescribed a med to treat another issue over the past few years, you may want to investigate whether it can potentially be affecting your hair. If so, you can talk to your doctor about changing to something else, if possible.

To cover it up, you can try something like hair-building fibers by 'Toppik' (you can find it on amazon). Depending on your hair colour, even one of those root touch up sprays or coverup sticks like the ones by Rita Hazan might help fill things in. I've noticed reviews on those products on Sephora that say it also helps cover up thinning hair. 

RE: Re: Help with thinning hair

Yeah my doctor checked my thyroid first. But it's normal. My diet could be better though lol. I am taking supplements as well and I'm just waiting for something to happen!
Anonymous Insider

Hi there 🙂 Before saying anything else I should probably let you know that I'm certainly no pro when it comes to makeup & skin care products. However, I'm turning 31 in a few weeks & get told quite often that I don't look older than 24-25, so I suppose my skin care routine is at least somewhat on point. Lol. I have had what I would consider (& most hair stylists I've been to) fine hair all my life. I've noticed that as I'm getting older there are times it seems I'm finding more hair than normal in my brush or the shower drain... which kind of sucks. Lol. So far I've noticed 2 things that contribute to this happening. When my diet is out of whack & I'm consuming more unhealthy than healthy products and when I'm not drinking enough water my hair tends to become more fragile than normal and splits & breaks way too much. The other thing for me, is stress. If I'm really stressed out or worrying about something on a daily basis for longer than a week or so it takes a toll on my hair. I lose more than normal & sometimes get those annoying little frizzy fly aways that aren't usual for me. I've noticed that taking Biotin on a regular basis cuts down tremendously on this. I have to be strict & make sure to take it every day or it doesn't work nearly as well. And to get the look of fuller hair I have found nothing (& I've tried quite a few products) that works as well

as dry shampoo. If I shampoo my hair at night sometimes I'll use dry shampoo the next morning just for

the volume. And every kind I've used smells fantastic, so that's a plus. I'll also use it on days I don't wash my hair even if it's not greasy because it gives it that extra bounce that I haven't found with any other product I've used. I don't know if any of that will help out with your situation or not but since I experience the same thing I wanted to share with you what I've finally found that works for me. I hope it helps! 🙂

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing