cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Suggestions for travel Gear and shoes

Hi All,

Now sure where to post this but looking for pros here who travel a lot for suggestion for travel (to France, Paris and coastal areas)  must haves (theft proof sling bags? and other things as well as good but stylish walking shoes (I know these don't exist). Comfort has higher points in my book.  Is converse kind of shoes ok?

How about for tween/ teen girls?

This is leisure travel to Europe, my first ever travel to Europe actually !! 

I think I have skin care figured out (I have most of the DE minis I think, need to check). I might need some pointers for make-up. 

Also, Any must have beauty to-dos, places to visit?

Re: Suggestions for travel Gear and shoes

@naturalooks15  Birkenstock’s are the best. I wear them at work all day and all summer. 

@naturalooks15 A bag that's sturdy. Haven't used the slash ones. My everyday one is by Latico, has held up well. Eccos are comfy out of the box, great walking shoe but are on the pricier side compared to what was mentioned.

For beauty, take samples - you probably have a foil stash. The liquids and carryon rules are different for international. For security and electronics, put it all (tablet, charger etc) in a clear zip bag so if it needs taken out it's all together and you don't lose items.

@naturalooks15 I've never looked into the slash-proof bags. I wear a lot of crossbody bags in daily life, and I just bring one of those. 

I will say that Birkenstocks can take a while to break in, but they're incredible once they've molded to your feet!

@naturalooks15 I haven't been to France yet, but I've traveled around four continents (heading to my fifth one next month!). Crossbody bags are definitely a good option. I like wearing mine underneath a jacket (depending on weather) to keep it even more secure. Sometimes, I also like carrying a zip up tote bag that I can keep tight underneath my arm so I can carry a camera, bottle of water, and maybe a language phrase book and/or sketch pad and colored pencils. 

As for shoes, I wore Tom's one trip since I can make them work with casual dresses. When I'm walking all over a city, I also like my Nike Cortez sneakers, Birkenstocks, or a pair of loafers. 

As for beauty products, I always worry about broken palettes, so I tend to pack a lot of stick or cream products. I love the following:

Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Shadow Rush

ILIA - Multi-Stick

MILK MAKEUP - Matte Bronzer

RMS BEAUTY - Champagne Rosé Luminizer

@txcatx  I think I have the cavier stick from a sample and I generally never have time for makeup and consider it a win if I can put on a eyeliner and eyebrow pencil. So thanks for the suggestion. I think stick will help me do a quick swipe at least. 

Doing makeup more often was my new year resolution but I have been miserably behind on my goal (still not yet ready to admit that I am failing 😂)

need to probably take pen type eyeliner than a gel/pot.

@naturalooks15 I’ve been to Egypt and parts of Europe. I highly recommend a cross body purse. I keep it in front of me and I’ve never had an issue losing it or anything in it. I got a nice one at target for $15. As far as shoes, because I was working I normally had on just cheap but nice looking black flats with foam type cushions as they look nice but I didn’t care if I walked holes in them.

Also consider your outfits carefully. For three months overseas one medium bag was sufficient for me with a backpack for extras. 

Have a great trip!!

@Indy701  I am considering 2-3 trousers (including 1 jeans and 2 stretch type semi nice pants) and 6 tops (including sweater, it’s supposed to be cold in coastal areas).

@naturalooks15 How exciting! I second everyones recommendations for a crossbody bag and also the extra copies of documents was a great idea. Depending on your style- I have actually been really into skinny jeans and flat tennis shoes with a cute button up/cardigan or sweater which makes for an easy outfit with comfy shoes. Like flat nike free type shoes, I wore APL's around disney last month and they weren't a 10/10 comfy but also no sore feet at the end of the day. A shoe like that might be a bit more comfortable than a converse or toms type shoe?

For makeup I like to carry my palettes and can't live withouts in my carry on in a padded zipper case for safe keeping/handling, the baggage handlers can't be trusted. I also am not a big cream/stick/liquid make-up person but do like to travel with them because they are less fragile, such as stick highlighters versus powder etc. If you are taking any foils have an extra bobby pin handy to fold them over and "seal" them for a couple days. 

Don't forget to look into if you need a voltage or wall adaptor for plugging things in where you are staying or if they are provided.

@CC3616  pardon my ignorance but What are APL shoes? 

Looking at the suggestions here, I think I will pack very light on make up and maybe mostly trial or DS size.

ETA: ordered the adapter from amazon. Thanks for the reminder @CC3616 . Lifesaver 😄

@naturalooks15 They are similar to nike free in style/structure. Liquids are always friendly, If you pack light on makeup, you'll have plenty of room to shop for fun stuff there lol! Glad you got the adapter. I forgot mine once and airport pricing definitely takes advantage of the fact that you need it. 

Spoiler
94a22078abaf864b4c906b71f69f4bab--spring-colors-apl-shoes

Ooooh... these look good @CC3616  i will check these out. I think these will probably be more comfy than what I got. Need to wear those indoor and test them out.

Congrats on your first trip to Europe, @naturalooks15 ! I’ve been to Paris twice, though not within the last 15 years. (I’d love to go back!) A few notes off the top of my head: 

Shoes really depend on your particular feet. I used to travel with a pair of plain black Skechers Go Walk slip-ons because I could wear them with anything: jeans, dresses/skirts, etc. They were also very comfy for hours of walking. Nowadays I usually wear certain pairs of running shoes. (I have an old pair of Nike Pegasus that are very comfy to walk in, and I often walk in an old pair of black Nike Lunar Tempo shoes.) But comfort level and needs are very subjective. If Converse are very comfy for you, take ‘em to Paris. 🙂 

As far as style, well... athleisurewear/all-day activewear is not a big thing in Paris. They generally don’t walk around all day in workout clothes like many Americans do. But don’t let that stop you from wearing comfy sneakers and other activewear. 100 other things will indicate to Parisians that you’re a tourist anyway, so it’s not a big deal. If you’re self conscious about it, bring a pair of plain colored sneakers... something not very splashy, brightly colored, etc. The Lunar Tempos I mentioned earlier were a custom order: they’re all black with black soles. I add a pop of color via shoelaces. 

Test your walking shoes (whichever ones you choose) beforehand: try standing/walking around town in them for at least 3 hours. You’ll do a lot of walking in Paris, and occasionally some sprinting across busy streets. Which leads to my next note... 

If you jaywalk in Paris, be committed. 😂 Once you step into the street, get across quickly. Drivers don’t like to slow down for you; they won’t try to hit you, of course, but they’re impatient, more so than any other big city I’ve ever lived in or visited. Prepare to hear car horns often. 

Paris has a lot of pickpockets. So do various other big cities, though. I’m as careful with money and belongings in foreign cities as I am here in Chicago. Nearly all my purses are crossbodies, and I never take my wallet out of my purse. You can get one of those money belts you wear around your waist, if you want extra security. I have a FlipBelt I use sometimes for running: it’s how I hold my keys, phone, ID, etc., and the newer version has zippered compartments. You can get similar belts for less money, though. 

Since I haven’t been to Paris in a long time, I can’t list lots of places to visit. If you plan to do the big touristy things (hey, nothing wrong with that): if the Louvre is packed, visit Musee d’Orsay instead (I prefer d’Orsay anyway); Versailles is worth an excursion, though you can’t freely roam as much of the palace as you’d probably like to; oh, and visit a Parisian Sephora! 

One more thing, if you don’t speak French: many Parisians speak English, but they likely won’t speak it to you at first, not until they’ve decided it’s pointless to make you understand them in French. 😂 And really, it’s wrong to expect otherwise when visiting a foreign speaking country, I think. Yes, Parisians can be blunt and curt and “rude”; don’t take it personally, and don’t let that stop you from asking for help. One of my best memories of Paris was an argument I had with someone there over her treatment of one of my travel companions; I was semi-fluent in French at the time, but that argument made me realize I knew more French than I thought I did! Eventually we had coffee with our new French aggressor-turned-buddy. 🤣 

Enjoy your trip! 

@WinglessOne  Good to know about the Lunar Tempos. I will check if I have enough time for custom order. You hit the nail in the head with black with black sole. All these formal street shoes (Toms, Everlane etc) I see have black leather upper with stark white foam looking sole which in my mind do not go together. 😄

funny story about the aggressor. My daughters are learning French as second language so hoping they will be our translators to some extent ( they just had 1 semester of that language).

oh.. and thank you for pointers about places to visit and reminding g to visit Sephora. I know my family will make fun and groan that sephora here too all the way across the globe... but I have to visit it there 😀

@naturalooks15  Custom Nike orders ship from China, so sometimes they take a while. Even though you can’t get the Lunar Tempo anymore (not direct from Nike, anyway), you could order another model of shoe. Running shoes are the kind of thing I’d try in person first, though, to make sure you can comfortably walk in them without rolling your ankle too far inward or outward. 

And of course you have to visit Sephora. They originated in Paris, after all! Tell your family it’s a historical visit! 😂 

@naturalooks15 Shoes Ecco. Don't keep much in your purse, use a zippered body pocket. Purse strap that can go over the body. They do make ones with bars in them, harder to cut through. Make copies of your passports, so you have all the info in case they are lost. Do not walk with your phone out in view. I know someone who's was grabbed, had to contact carrier to stop service. You can rent a phone from your carrier to use internationally or use yours but will need to add-on a travel pass.

Trip Advisor, Rick Steves, Foldor's for area info, must sees and tips. The last two was thinking of the books.

Edit: also know the conversion rates beforehand, some shops may charge you more than a local just cause you're a tourist. Also the currency exchange in the airport is usually higher rates. Your local bank can get you currency to take. Also know your credit card exchange fees, if any. Copies of all important documents (I know I mentioned passports) but everything in your wallet..license, cards etc.

@TrysBeautyItems  Thanks for all the useful tips. I called the bank today and learnt that any debit card has 3% foreign transaction fee but my credit card does not so I plan to use my credit cards but will convert some cash in local bank as well after checking the rates.

@naturalooks15  I have only been to Paris once so I am by no means an expert about that area but I travel quite frequently and definitely value my comfort. I love New Balance sneakers, they are super cute and come in a variety of colors and styles. They are totally “athleisure,” so they’d be perfect for walking around and still looking stylish. If you are looking for sandals I can’t recommend Birkenstocks enough. They are the only sandals I wear and have actually worn them all around Europe! Either Birks or NBs would be fine for anyone of any age. Converse and Vans are cute, I own and wear them, but I have regretted wearing them for extended walking. They don’t have a ton of support, where Birks and NBs both do.   

@alexasteph  Any specific name of shows in NB? There are too many choices. 

@naturalooks15 The 574’s are a classic. You’ll find any color combination under the sun in those.  

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • 95959397-8FFC-4457-A290-161292C3A283.jpeg
  • 94a22078abaf864b4c906b71f69f4bab--spring-colors-apl-shoes
testing