Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Monthly Misses: November 2020

Every month we are impressed by some products, and left disappointed by others.  Well, this space is dedicated to those products that let us down.  It can be a real bummer to try something and not have it live up to expectations.  Whether it was an item that you tried several times and just couldn't make it work, or an item that you tried once and said, "Never again!" we want to hear about it.

download.jpe

Re: Monthly Misses: November 2020

My miss this month is Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m....  It feels nice when I put it on; but after it soaks in, my face feels tight.  Not what I expect from a moisturizer.

@Titian06  Oh gosh, this might also qualify as a miss for me, but only because of a new ingredients list. This was my favorite moisturizer. My skin loved it year round, even in winter—though I had to beef if up with a facial oil for cold weather moisturization. But sometime this year (I'm guessing spring, but it might've happened earlier), YTTP shuffled the ingredients and added some fragrance components: hexyl cinnamal, limonene, linalool, and citronellol. As a result, I can no longer use this moisturizer. 😞  So, the reformulation is a November miss for me. 

That stinks that you didn't like it, @Titian06 :(.  I don't really enjoy it as much during the winter but LOVE it as a lightweight moisturizer for summer.

Like @faeriegirl , I also didn't like Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Push Up Lashes Volumizing & Lengthening Mascara . The wand didn't bug me until I realized I couldn't roll it while running through my lashes—so my lashes had no chance of curling with this wand. I never got a "push up" effect. 

Spoiler
I'm so over brands trying to create plastic "brushless"/comb-style mascara wands lately. ILIA's is fantastic because the brush part wraps almost completely around the wand, with just one column (or row?) dedicated as a comb. I can comb through my lashes and roll the brush through them. Cannot do that with this CT wand. I won't even attempt it with Urban Decay's Lash Freak because holy crap, look at that crazy wand. I didn't think CT's Pillow Talk wand would be anywhere near as bad. I was wrong. 

"Well you just have to get used to using it! Once you figure it out, you'll love it!" You know, years ago I did have to get used to Perricone MD's No Mascara Mascara wand at first, because I'd never used a non-traditional-brush wand like that before. Took me just 2 days of use to get the hang of it and fall in love. (Seriously, brands need to revisit and study good wands like this one as part of their wand design process, because good grief.) I gave Pillow Talk 3 days of use before giving up. I know some folks hate the Perricone MD mascara wand but see, it has alternating columns/sections of brush and comb all the way around the applicator, so I can roll it through my lashes and get a nicely separated curl. When a mascara's marketed as "push up lashes," I expect some serious lift and curl action, dang it. WHERE IS THE PUSH UP EFFECT, CHARLOTTE. I mean, I still love you for Legendary Lashes Vol. 2—and please don't re-release that mascara with a wand as bad as Pillow Talk's—but c'mon man. 

"Y U NO USE LASH CURLER 1ST OMG U HATE 4 NO REAZON"—to me, lash curlers are evil and must be destroyed. Other folks can love 'em all they want, and I'm glad they work for other people, yay! I'm so not one of those people. So, nope. CT's LLv2 curls my lashes perfectly on its own; no lash torture device required. ILIA's mascara also curls my lashes well. You know why (besides the mascara formula)? IT HAS A VERY GOOD PLASTIC WAND unlike Pillow Talk. 

/rant about ridiculous mascara wands 

Also, this mascara's flaky. Not nearly as bad as the most flaky mascara I've ever tried (shoutout to Urban Decay for that one), but bad enough that each time I checked a mirror throughout the day—on all 3 days I tested this mascara—I had enough flakes to brush off my face, lest they smudge. And I never applied this mascara to my bottom lashes; I kept those lashes bare. I'm pretty sure I'd have been a smudgy mess had I done my bottom lashes. Plus, I had a hard time getting the lash look I wanted. One coat wasn't quite enough, even for a natural look; two coats = instant spider legs. There was no in-between. 

Two positives: didn't hurt my eyes (until flakes fell into them) and wasn't hard to wash off. But yeah, I'm glad I got a mini instead of a FS. 

I might have one or two more misses but I'll mention those later. 🤣

The only miss for me this month was Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Push Up Lashes Volumizing & Lengthening Mascara . I didn’t like the wand and it smudged really bad. 

I didn't think that I'd have an item to list this month, as I didn't try any new skincare.  But low and behold, I have a contender.  I tried the Slip Silk Pillowcase - Standard/Queen and it did not meet my expectations.  It was thinner and less soft than I had anticipated.  When I put my head down on it, it smelled chemical-y.  I decided to return it.  I'm just not up to the special care it will require, and the price didn't seem to justify it.  It's a shame, b/c I've been wanting to try it for ages.

I was also let down by a 3-Wick candle by BBW: Salted Caramel Egg Nog.  I think the salted caramel was the deal breaker for me.  Just not a component I wanted lingering in my house.  But there was also a too-sweet element that was competing that I didn't care for, either.  I know smelling strong egg nog might be a turn-off for some, and is probably why BBW cut it with the other layers.  However, I think it might have been more successful if it was more one-note.  That won't stop me from trying more of them, though, since I'm currently addicted.  They are having buy 3 get 3 free for Black Friday right now.  IDK if I need that many holiday, scents.  Does anyone know what the prices tend to be on the 3-wick candles after Christmas?

@greeneyedgirl107  Aw, sorry the Slip pillowcase was such a fail, especially considering its price tag. 😞 I think all of Slip claims their cases are 22 momme, which shouldn't feel too thin... hmm, kinda suspicious. 

I've used silk pillowcases for years, but not Slip brand. My favorites are LilySilk, partly because they offer different mommes (19, 22, and 25) and they had the special “toddler/travel” size I need for my Tempur-Pedic contour neck pillow. None of my silk cases smelled gross out of the box, but my lighter dyed LilySilks didn't feel as soft as my darker dyed ones til after their first wash. 🤔 

I don't do much special care with them, aside from using a detergent that's silk-safe. I just toss 'em in my washing machine's gentle cycle, then hang 'em up to dry. (I hate ironing and refuse to iron anything that'll get wrinkled in bed anyway.) That's the same way I wash bras, silk scarves, and other delicates, so it's wash-as-usual for me. I'm not sure how many wash cycles my silk cases have survived so far.... my oldest LilySilk cases are probably 4 years old now, and my oldest by other brands are closer to 6 or 7 years old. I'm religious about frequently rotating and changing my pillowcases for happier skin, so my cases get washed a lot. Haven't had one fall apart on me yet. 

@WinglessOne I'll have to look into that LilySilk one!!!

@greeneyedgirl107 @I agree about the silk pillow cases - I feel like they got too overhyped and I ended up disappointed and annoyed at how much effort they would take to use regularly 

@Kim888 Glad I'm not alone on this one!

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 63 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos1
  • download.jpe
testing