Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Monthly Misses: January 2021

It's a new month and a new year!  And this means we've probably experienced some good and some less-than-good products.  This is a place for us to share what didn't work for us.  It could be a product that isn't cutting it in the cold, or a routine that needs tweaking.

beauty ii.jpe

Re: Monthly Misses: January 2021

My only January miss (excluding certain items in my Beautylish Lucky Bag): 

I call it The Bird Poop Bottle. Sorry not sorry.I call it The Bird Poop Bottle. Sorry not sorry.

I used The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL a few times in December and January, hoping it'd be a good inexpensive option I could recommend to a relative, but nope. 

• I don't like the texture much. 
  • Took too long to fully sink into my skin, resulting in dehydration after waiting so long. 
  • Finally realized this serum was making my new favorite moisturizer pill like crazy. 
  • Didn't give me the same brightening effect as other niacinamide-heavy products. 
  • Got tired of chipping away that white residual crust after (or before) each use. 

I doubt this bottle's even half empty yet. I keep forgetting to see it it'll work elsewhere on my body... even at this price point, I'd rather get some use out of it than dump it down the drain. 

2 misses along the same line. I like to use a hydrating toner in general, especially layering at night. I first pulled out the Murad Hydrating Toner without really reading the ingredients list. My face had been a little off for a few weeks, not quite skin barrier breakdown, but like, could easily tip there. So I re-read the ingredients and the third ingredient is witch hazel. Blah. So I put it away and grab out the next toner, Herbivore Jasmine Green Tea Oil Control Toner 4 oz/ 120 mL. I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea, but it says hydrating on the bottle. But then I double check, and it always says witch hazel. Boo. Also the jasmine scent is not for me. Is it too much to ask for a hydrating toner with minimal alcohol??? 

20210201_004418~3.jpg

Not a complete Fail but definitely a disappointment: the Maybelline Lifter glosses.  I wouldn't have purchased them on my own but they were part of a Christmas gift that I tried this month and I definitely don't get the hype.

That's unfortunate, @CookieGirl1!! Were they just meh? Or not hydrating?

@haleyvvvv they definitely weren't bad but to put it into perspective, a lot of people compare these to the Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer and I think that it's decent comparison.  That being said, while a lot of people absolutely love the Fenty glosses, I never thought that they were really overly fabulous either; again, I didn't dislike them but I used up at least one--maybe two?--of them and was left feeling very underwhelmed.  If you like the Fenty glosses, however, the ones from Maybelline really do have a very similar semblance in both finish and overall texture and are obviously less expensive.

A miss for me was IGK Crybaby Anti-Frizz Smoothing Serum .  I loved how supple it made my hair look and feel.  But, I just haven't been able to get over the scent.  If anyone knows of a similar product, please let me know.

Wayne Goss Lipliner - It hurts like a @&^$% to apply - It's a regular pencil and it pulled on my lips and just did not feel good at all.

On the other hand, the new Natasha Denona lipliners are heavenly - so creamy and rich - obsessed! 

Oh no, thats too bad, @Tamara76!! I've heard only good things about the line, so it is disappointing that it is not comfortable.

@haleyvvvv I love his brushes so I was extra sad about the lipliner, but a lot of people love it🤷🏼‍♀️💗

@Tamara76 That's a shame.  I don't follow any beauty influencers, but if I were, he'd be one of them.

Thanks @greeneyedgirl107 !  I love Wayne Goss - he is one of the celebrity artists whose advice I really trust!

@greeneyedgirl107 - My miss was the promo offer for the Fenty skincare sample.  The set contained the cleanser, phat water, and moisturizer.  The fragrance was overwhelming and unattractive.  The products seemed nice enough the first night I used them.  However, the second night after finishing my skincare, my skin felt uncomfortable and had a mild burning sensation for a few minutes.  I threw out the remainder--between the scent and the burning, I wasn't going to use it again.  (I did like the texture of the phat water, though.)

Sorry to hear that it wasn't great, @Titian06!! I haven't heard a lot of good things about the line. At least you were able to try samples before buying?

@haleyvvvv - Yes, they were foil packs that came together as a set.  

@Titian06 It can be a shame when a promo offer doesn't work out - b/c it's not like you can return it.  I don't blame you for throwing it all out - it would be dangerous for your skin not to.  Honestly, the Fenty line hasn't piqued my interest at all.

@Titian06  Oh darn. I was having high hopes for that line. Darn. Thanks for the review!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 73 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos3
  • beauty ii.jpe
  • 20210201_004418~3.jpg
  • I call it The Bird Poop Bottle. Sorry not sorry.
testing