Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Monthly Favorites: February 2023 Edition!

Monthly Favorites - February 2023Monthly Favorites - February 2023

Where did you go, February? This short month has surely whizzed right by, but I still had plenty of time to rack up my share of beauty faves! This month was all about second chances – giving a new shot to products in my stash that I hadn’t taken the time to really figure out, style properly, or layer correctly when I first scooped them up. It’s not always love at first sight when it comes to my beauty purchases, so I’m sure glad I stuck with them!

Here are the products I’ve been reaching for during the month of February:

Which beauty favorites did you find “Loves List” worthy this month? Reply below and let us know – and don’t forget to tag those products with the “#” symbol (hair, makeup, fragrance, wellness, skincare, etc.)!

Re: Monthly Favorites: February 2023 Edition!

@eshoe @heartsmyface @Samtian Check out these videos on YouTube 

A590BC4B-E90A-4256-8BCE-2221632ABFC6.png

B953F702-0342-4465-BF0C-C788B7A6B864.png

Thank you very much, @SportyGirly125. It is high time to watch these and learn a little about these, so I do not feel so out of the loop.  

@eshoe haha same! @SportyGirly125 thank you so much!!

@Samtian @eshoe welcome 

@eshoe @Samtian  Setting powder and powder are the same thing.  A translucent powder applied sheerly will help dry your base in place a give your skin a more matte or satiny appearance.  The more you apply the more matte it becomes but also the drier your skin appears.  a coloured powder should be a shade lighter than your foundation as it tends to darken your base layer.  
Ideally you want to set any liquid foundation before applying powdered blushes or contouring so they apply more evenly;) 

There are powder products with sheen to them that can be used to diffuse light in areas (think Hourglass or Mac Soft and Gentle) but they’re more for a finished appearance than setting.  

The more you know, @heartsmyface @Samtian 🙌🏼

@eshoe  I have learned so much on here! I feel like I have the setting powder and finishing powder down, but I am lost when it comes to baking.

You and me both, @faeriegirl!

@heartsmyface Thanks! 

@eshoe I haven't a clue. I think I just assumed the LM was a setting powder. I'm going to have to Google all the powders now. 

RMS says this-

1. Translucent Powder

Available in transparent or extremely low-intensity colors, translucent powder helps absorb shine from oilier areas and can provide sheer coverage in areas where you only need a little covering up. 

Translucent powder, setting powder, and finishing powder are similar but aren’t exactly the same. You can wear translucent powder alone (without makeup underneath) to absorb oil and provide ultra-light coverage. Think of it as the clear mascara of facial powders. 

You can use translucent powder if you want slight coverage without putting on makeup or if you want to “spot treat” areas that are particularly oily. It’s also great for adding coverage without weight to the corners of your eyes and around your nostrils. 

2. Setting Powder

You know the urge you get to dust a little powder on your face after you apply liquid foundation? Setting powder is the solution to scratch the itch. 

Setting powder is made to soak up oil, so if you want to retain a dewy finish, this isn’t the powder to use. Also, the ingredients in a setting powder are usually so oil absorbent they can dry your skin. Traditionally, you’ll find talc in a setting powder. At RMS Beauty, talc is never allowed in our products because of its carcinogenic nature.

You can use setting powder when you’re finished with your makeup application. A light dusting across your face will help your makeup stay put and absorb excess sebum on your skin. 

3. Finishing Powder

Finishing powder sounds like setting powder, but the two are not the same. Finishing powder is like finishing school-it refines. Instead of giving your makeup added longevity, it creates a real-life filter on your skin that looks polished and flawless. 

Finishing powder is milled extremely fine so that just a small dusting of the powder can create an airbrushed finish on your skin. Finishing powder doesn’t contain the same type of oil-absorbing ingredients as setting powder. Many finishing powders contain hydrating, skin-nourishing ingredients that allow you to retain a luminous, living finish. 

You can use finishing powder instead of setting powder to create a believable finish that isn’t entirely matte. You can also use finishing powder on key areas of your skin to cover fine lines and wrinkles and diminish the look of pores. 

Ok this is very helpful, @Samtian! Thank you

@Samtian that's awesome that you've found so many powders that you love!  I feel like it's hard to find powders that I really like.

@CookieGirl1 I got the Sephora one was a gratis and the rest were just samples I've had laying around untouched lol. 

@Samtian I recently included setting powder in my routine. It really is a game changer. How do you apply it?

@Mellmars1185 It is! I just use a puff, how about you? I need to remember to really take a good look and make sure it's all blended. 

@Samtian I use a triangle puff. I get a bit on the puff and tap in on my hand before applying. I saw that tip on a video.

@Mellmars1185 I actually tried that this morning on a whim, didn't make nearly as big of a mess. 

I agree with you @AlexBT , where did February go??? 

My new favorite product for this month is Gucci 24 Hour Full Coverage Luminous Matte Finish Foundation 320W The shade is a little off, it will be perfect for summer, but mixing with white is working wonderfully. I love the natural look it gives to my skin, the longevity and how hydrated and comfortable my skin feels all day long. It is win win for me! 😍

I am still loving my HGs from past months. 

@Saradestin Nice, this foundation wasn't on my radar previously. Love that custom foundation shade-matching technique!

@AlexBT I know I've sung praises for some of these products before but with the weather here being nuts (one day in the 60's the very next day in the 20's) these have helped keep my skin/makeup looking great and I finally found a layering system! Also I am a big fan of that Kosas concealer it's so good!

Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free SPF 42 Face Sunscreen w/ Hyaluronic Acid 

GXVE BY GWEN STEFANI All Time Prime Clean Hydrating Prep & Smooth Face Oil 0.95 fl oz. / 28 mL 

MAKE UP FOR EVER Buffing Foundation Brush 112  - LOVE this brush

Gucci Luminous Matte Beauty Blush 05 Rosy Beige 

Yves Saint Laurent NU DEWY MIST Hydrating Face Spray with Hyaluronic Acid 3.4 oz/ 100 mL 

MAC Cosmetics Hyper Real Skin Canvas Balm 1.7 oz / 50 mL (love this stuff!!!)

MILK MAKEUP Mini KUSH High Volumizing Mascara 0.13 oz/ 4 mL (I have a mini from a Sephora favorites set but the reviews make me nervous to pick up a full sized one).

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos21
  • Monthly Favorites - February 2023
  • 05B35812-4A61-4BFF-A07F-2F04C9070CF0.jpeg
  • R00132596_M.jpe
  • 20230225_153143.jpg
  • 194CECD0-2968-4F88-B733-E25D38ABE614.jpeg
  • A590BC4B-E90A-4256-8BCE-2221632ABFC6.png
  • B953F702-0342-4465-BF0C-C788B7A6B864.png
  • 20230225_212736_HDR.jpg
  • 20230225_213006_HDR.jpg