Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Monthly Favorites: December 2020 Edition!

20201216-DecemberMonthlyFaves2.jpg

We made it, BIC! We’re at the end of 2020. We’ve already asked you your favorite products of the whole year (hellooooo basket-building inspo), but we certainly haven’t forgotten to give praise to our Monthly Favorites for December! So whether you’ve been testing out some new goodies you picked up during the Sephorathon deals or squeezing the last bit of product out of your favorite standbys, head to the comments and tag the products you’re loving this month!

Here’s what I’ve had in heavy rotation in December so far:

Click the “Reply” button below and tag your December faves! Just type the “#” symbol before each product!

Re: Monthly Favorites: December 2020 Edition!

So true! I am someone who is always looking for that one best thing.. one best mascara, one best bronzer, one best eyeliner... and then I stick to it 😊

We made it!  I feel that statement too @AlexBT !  I actually have a few standout items to me from December.  No idea when things actually came out, but they were stars of my December. 

• Sweet Chef Ginger Kombucha Vitamin D Chill Mist.  This is something that was a bit of a sneaky surprise love.  I'm not a kombucha fan but I've fallen for the ginger scent of this!  No idea if it actually smells of kombucha.  I won't say that it gives massive hydration, but it's just lovely when my skin is so dry in the cooler weather.  The mister on the jar is also a good one, fine mist with a steady pump.  I'd buy this again!
  • Tower 28 cheek colours.  I bought one and right away went back for the second.  I was using them with my fingers at first, but I've switched to a damp beauty sponge and it's been a game changer.  I bought these right around the same time as the Fenty blushes and these have soared over the Fenty for me.  I really do love both shades but I'm most surprised that the nude shade is getting so much use.  I usually go for a sheer layer of a brighter pink. 
  • Miss Piggy Ciate Lip Balm.  I love this.  It's got a very Miss Piggy pink tint to it, but it's super wearable.  The packaging feels weightier than I anticipated and it clicks magnetically.  Reminds me of the Milk lipsticks. I also like that there's so many Miss Piggy nods while still looking a bit more adult.  
  • Mac Naked Lunch Single Eyeshadow. I went through some of my singles in November trying to see if I could move some into a magnetic pan to get more use out of them before deciding to chuck em or not.  I forgot how much I love my MAC shadows.  I used to use MAC singles pretty exclusively and this was always a great one for a wash of one colour on the lids and done.  It still is.  This one (along a few others I have) has clearly been dropped, I'm almost done with it, so I'll use it up like this.  No big deal.  I will also buy another in 2021.  Great shade. Going to look at how I can use these more next year. 
  • Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Lashes.  Is this actually a dark brown? Either way... love the wand, love the formula, no flaking, no smudging, and gives awesome volume.  This was actually a gift from my Secret Santa 2019 @SportyGirly125 !  Thank you so much... will be ordering a full size once I go through some more of my minis!
  • Milk Makeup Sunshine Skin Tint.  This.  This product gave me a lot of aggravation at first.  I tried clicking it for thousands of clicks to no avail.  The packaging was not working.  At a last resort I kind of gave it a good bang against my countertop a couple times.  Low and behold it worked!  The product in here is fabulous.  I get an awesome glow that looks natural and it gives the nicest coverage, light to medium, but not cakey at all.  Milk needs to re-evaluate their packaging as I know some people will have issue with the roller ball style, No one else uses my make up and I know I'm putting it on clean skin so I'm not bothered, but some will be put off.  Also... is this really the best delivery method we can come up with?  Do I really need to spend hours while on a zoom clicking this thing, other reviews have said that the clicker can give up half way through a tube too... not cool.  There aren't a ton of shades here either, but it is a more sheer product that should work with a variety of skin tones.  But Milk... just fix the packaging and add another 10 shades and you'll be killin it!
  • Glossier Balm dotcom in Wild Fig.  I was prepared to love the berry shade the best.  I'm a berry/mauve shade gal in pretty much everything.  This lovely darker coral though is beautiful and the scent is intoxicating.  This has been by my bed for a nighttime mask or next to my laptop for daily top ups all month.  Love.  Will be getting more flavours as we go, but so far wild fig for the win. 

729D25DE-0BAD-4E5C-A46D-2127DD54FEEA.jpeg

BB9EDF42-AC1C-4E6E-971B-32018AA3F390.jpeg

E9F18E91-D574-4383-9CC4-B37AEE75B27C.jpeg

@missjeanie Your bang-against-the-counter trick made me LOL. I feel your pain - and I'm glad you didn't give up on the Milk tint since it sounds so great once you actually get to use it! Hopefully you've inspired others to not let the packaging deter them. 😉

@AlexBT It's the only foundation I've used since getting it to work, the stuff inside is gold!  

@missjeanie ,

I appreciate your reviews!  Good info on many things!   The Tower 28 Cheek Colors- I must try. I have been attracted to the Glossier Balm Dotcom Wild Fig, because of the name, but didn't pull the trigger.  I think that you have convinced me.  I'm more of a mauve shade gal myself, too.  The Ciate Miss Piggy Lip Balm, I need to open that package!  It's waiting for me.

@tsavorite I originally thought only having a couple colours of the Tower 28 blushes in their line was a huge bit of weirdness.  But the colours they do have are great.  I'm hoping for more in 2021.  And yes... you need to open the Piggy Balm!  It's such a fun one that gives a nice bright, but not too bright colour to winter!

That CT mascara is incredible, isn’t it @missjeanie? That one is a repurchase in my book, too🤩

@eshoe I'm kicking myself for not having used it sooner!  It's a brand I'm hoping to explore more of in 2021.  One of my New Years goals is to use make up more than in 2020 (staying home I totally didn't use it as much as I usually do) but this year I want to get myself 'done' more even if I'm just at home. 

That’s a great goal, @missjeanie! Cheers to some new looks this year, I think we are all looking forward to a few 😂 

I have tried a few of her products, and this mascara is probably my favorite.

@missjeanie Glad you liked the CT mascara. 

Such a great one @SportyGirly125 !  I've loved trying some of your favourites through 2020!

2020 was a turn of events,and with that, I turned my skin care routine 360 and I am SO HAPPY I did! I went from using just drug store basics I had used since HS 😬 and decided that it was time to up the game! 

GLAMGLOW BRIGHTEYES™ Illuminating Anti-Fatigue Eye Cream 

This is a morning and night cream for me! Not only does it help wake up my skin in the AM, but it also helps take the stress out after a long day. Keeping this in the fridge has proven to be one of my best ideas yet!

Tatcha The Deep Cleanse Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser 

I received this in an Ipsy bag, and haven't turned back since! Not only have my breakout's reduced significantly, but the overall look/texture/feel of my skin is totally different

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Face Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

I live in an incredibly dry climate all year round. From blazing hot summers, to incredibly windy and cool, but dry winters. My skin has always struggled with keeping up with the weather, but not this year! 

Ciaté London Wonderwand Intensely Volumising Mascara Black Magic 

If you love a full lash look, this will be your go-to! This mascara holds up all day long. Does not crumble or flake off, and has a great bold look!

Benefit Cosmetics POREfect Primer Deal! 

Boy 'o boy does this product work! I've struggled with large pores on my chin and nose, and thanks to this product, I no longer have to worry! This holds up all day and my pores stay hidden, like they should!

@LindseyFarrer Love that 2020 led you down a new skincare journey and found some new upgraded faves!

Nice faves list, @LindseyFarrer!! The glamglow is also on my list for the month, but I'll have to look into putting it in the fridge.

I promise you won't be disappointed! It's so cool and refreshing, especially after a nice, hot shower 😁

If you're loving the First Aid Beauty Face Moisturizer and roughing the cold winters then I'd also suggest their First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration I have eczema so I'm always dealing with dry cracked skin and this is my go-to in the winter months - face, hands, feet, elbows.... you name it, this fixes it! 

Love me some good skincare @LindseyFarrer !  I have that Tatcha exfoliator but have yet to try it out!

Bobbi Brown Retouching Powder Pink Givenchy Lip Liner 2 Brun Createur 

@dipsPika ,

I'm with you on loving the Bobbi Brown Pink Retouching Powder.

Cooling things are my go to this December. Like if I put it on my face it gives a cooling effect/affect. Also things that remove the upper layer/mini layers. In the winter I don’t like to do too much taking off or peeling because my skin becomes sensitive but a few layers is nice.. at least for this year December lollll 😛

Just today and tomorrow before 2020’s finally over! Before it ends, here are my December favorites. 

Skincare: 

2020monthly-dec_1.jpegAlso, love the aesthetic of the transparent sleeve, though it's hard to read the backside.Also, love the aesthetic of the transparent sleeve, though it's hard to read the backside.
Why I love ‘em: 
Spoiler
Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer - I began testing it in November and think I finally found my daily year-round replacement of YTTP Superfood Moisturizer (which I can no longer use). I have more occlusive options for frigid weather or very bad skin reactions/broken barrier, but this Vanicream product makes my face feel plushly moisturized and look moderately radiant. I hope they keep making this stuff! 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Clear Skin Days by Sephora Collection Brightening Peel Pads - love having a gentle AHA + BHA exfoliant to use when my skin’s just come out of bad reaction mode. (My usual 10% AHA would be too strong in that scenario.) Major kudos to Sephora for leaving citrus extracts/oils out of this product. 

Good Molecules Niacinamide Brightening Toner - did not expect to love it as much as I do. It contains a vitamin C derivative, but I use it more for its arbutin, milk vetch, cocoa seed extract, and of course niacinamide. 

Routine Deodorant, Superstar - I think this is a monthly faves repeat. Anyone who uses this scent knows how strong and long lasting it is. That’s turned out to be a good thing as I shift my showers from morning to night: I can apply Superstar at night and wake up stink-free the next morning, with no need to apply more deodorant. 

Some folks have asked, “if you’re so against clean beauty and all-natural beauty, then why do you use natural deodorant?” Well… 
Spoiler
My armpits seem to be sensitive to the aluminum in antiperspirant*, so I had to switch to deodorant. Yes yes, “just apply antiperspirant at night so the aluminum can plug sweat glands overnight, and you won’t feel irritation the next day.” That works great for some folks, but not for me. “Well, just use [AHA, BHA, benzoyl peroxide] as deodorant!” I’ve tried chemical exfoliants that way with very little success, and I’m allergic to benzoyl peroxide so that’s a hard pass. 

Anyway, most deodorants marketed to women smell like baby powder, bad floral perfume, Tang, or a combo of those—and I hated smelling like that. Once a couple brands started making men’s deodorants that didn’t smell like bad aftershave, I used those, but still wanted better-for-me scents. 

That was my main reason for starting down the natural deodorant path in the first place. I didnt (and still dont) care about my deodorant being “clean” or “all natural.” I do care that it keeps me smelling like a scent I enjoy. 

*Obligatory disclaimer: this doesn’t mean aluminum or antiperspirants are bad for everyone! Just like benzoyl peroxide’s not bad for everyone simply because I can’t use it. Also, I’ve tried many antiperspirant brands throughout my life and seen doctors about yeast infections possibly causing my armpit irritation. All signs point to aluminum. Interestingly, I can swipe an antiperspirant anyplace on my body where there’s no skin-on-skin friction and have far less aluminum irritation. 🤷‍♀️ 
It’s Skin Power 10 Formula Li Effector - definitely a repeat fave. This licorice root + polyglutamic acid (a good humectant) serum's been an extremely helpful skin soother and is now a staple of my nighttime routine. I’ve gone through 3 or 4 bottles since I started using it last summer. 

The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL and Paula’s Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster - having discovered my skin's not sensitive to azelaic acid after all, I’ve alternated use of these 2 products to combat hyperpigmentation and treat acne. They contain the same % of main ingredient, but the Paula’s Choice version also contains a little salicylic acid—so I don’t use that one daily. Azelaic acid makes my skin itch for 30-60 minutes after application, but I find that applying it over or under the It’s Skin licorice root serum reduces the itchiness. 

Abib Mild Acidic pH Heartleaf Fit Sheet Mask - possibly my favorite sheet mask ever. Contains several anti-inflammation ingredients: houttuynia cordata (heartleaf), purslane, 5 centella asiatica components, green and chamomile teas, polygonum cuspidatum root (aka hu zhang or Japanese knotweed), licorice root, scutellaria baicalensis root (aka golden herb), and allantoin. Plus it’s fragrance-free and quite hydrating. I've used many of this mask since November and have several boxes in backup storage. I might’ve listed it as a monthly favorite last summer, now that I think about it. 
Makeup: 

I miss listing lipsticks as monthly favorites... sigh.I miss listing lipsticks as monthly favorites... sigh.
Why I love ‘em: 
Spoiler
Natasha Denona Mini Gold Eyeshadow Palette 5 x 0.028 oz - the gold/khaki mini palette I never knew I needed. Each shade performs wonderfully for me. Does everything from “one and done" to a full smoky eye. An ideal travel palette. 

PAT McGRATH LABS Celestial Divinity Eyeshadow Palette Interstellar Icon - and to think I almost didn’t buy this quad when it launched! Contains 2 color shifting shades, a super creamy metallic brown, and Blue Blood which is one of my favorite shades by anyone. 

Linda Hallberg Crayons - I have and love several shades, but I’ve worn these 2 (Happy and Zhao Flash) the most this month. Once applied, I get maybe 3-4 minutes to smudge/blend all these crayons out if I want before they set. They can be used anywhere, but I primarily use them as eyeliners. 

Charlotte Tilbury Eye Liner - Walk of No Shame Collection Walk of No Shame - reminds me a lot of Glossier Colorslide eyeliner shade Disaster Class, one of my favorite ways to quickly define my eyes. Charlotte’s liner is smoother and wears longer. 

Glossier Cloud Paint, shade Eve - I’m a big fan of Glossier’s cream blushes, so of course I had to buy Eve when it launched this year. It’s a beautiful natural flush of deep berry/plum on me. 
188 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos19
  • 20201216-DecemberMonthlyFaves2.jpg
  • D884AB88-0ECE-4DB7-A0A7-9D878E56C0C2.jpeg
  • IMG_20201206_201438755.jpg
  • December Favorites.jpg
  • 12C1C620-970F-49D8-8E2D-9B1B676E99DE.jpeg
  • 3028CB8E-5E81-4763-8C50-893D800370B1.jpeg
  • F91D9038-1B6D-4522-9542-73E5B319447F.jpeg
  • C237B6CA-3311-4574-A936-0214530A3038.jpeg
  • Merida.jpg
  • Also, love the aesthetic of the transparent sleeve, though it's hard to read the backside.
  • 2020monthly-dec_1.jpeg
  • I miss listing lipsticks as monthly favorites... sigh.
  • 729D25DE-0BAD-4E5C-A46D-2127DD54FEEA.jpeg
  • BB9EDF42-AC1C-4E6E-971B-32018AA3F390.jpeg
  • E9F18E91-D574-4383-9CC4-B37AEE75B27C.jpeg
testing