cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Expert

@prideBLMnew  Hi there:) 

We wouldn't have any information from this event or any where Selena is attending. Some in store Rare Beauty events will take place in store but we never have a confirmation if Selena will actually be in attendance at any of those events. We usually hold artistry and product events featuring a branded team that will help with application techniques or product and formula questions. Keep up to date on Sephora's Facebook page as well as Community for up to date information.

Thank you!

What is the replacement colour for Bare minerals Aspen?

@Fonetta  Hi there:) We wouldn't have that information. Would you like help with a similar shade in another line? Or something else within the Bare Minerals brand?

Hi I'm looking for a serum or cream that can help to minimize pores in my tzone. Thank you!

Also looking for recommendations for toner. I have dry/sensitive and possibly combination skin.

Hi @Purplegirl112 ,

Thank you for leaving a message!

I recommend incorporating Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner. This will help unclog and minimize the look of pores and provide hydration! It's a great product to tone skin without drying.

Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner Limited Edition 5.07 oz / 150 mL 

As for moisturizer, I recommend Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer! I personally love this one because of the skin-improving Japanese ingredients that help with hydration, skin clarity, anti-aging properties, and pore-tightening! It's great for sensitive, dry/combo skin.

Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 

Let us know how these products work for you!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO

Hi, I'm not sure whether to get the Sephora collection targeted pores serum with 6% bha + pha, or the resurfacing peel mask (13% aha, bha, pha). I struggle with redness and pores. I was also wondering the percentages of bha in each product. Thank you!

Hi @ely0209 ,

You can use both for maximum result. You can use the serum both day and night while the mask is great to use once or twice a week!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO

Hi. I have been using Dr Perricone No makeup makeup for several years and now that it is discontinued, I am desperate to find another brand that is just as great, with light coverage and is non-greasy. I loved it because it blended well with the natural tone of the skin  Any advice? Thank you.  

Hi @Josette66 ,

I personally LOVED that product as well!! The recommendations below will be similar in finish and contain the SPF that the Dr. Perricone. The only thing is that you will want to try to match to your skin tone. Which is not hard. You can visit your local Sephora for a personalized match or try to select a shade closest visually by looking at the foundation swatches and how the shades look on the model as well as the actual undertone description. I know that the Perricone isnt the easiest to match because it did change color.

Check put these amazing options below!

ILIA
Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40 Foundation

Plant-based Squalane: Hydrates and visibly improves elasticity without clogging pores. 
-Niacinamide: Visibly smooths texture, minimizes the appearance of pores, softens lines, and promotes even tone. 
-Hyaluronic Acids (Macro and Micro): Penetrate at different levels to visibly plump and boost skin’s moisture levels. 

ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40 Foundation Paloma ST9  ( this is not the exact shade but wanted you to have the product link.)

Dr. Jart+
Premium BB Beauty Balm SPF 40

A cult-favorite, all-in-one beauty balm that visibly perfects the complexion while shielding skin from UV damage.

(Very similar in concept to what you are used too. Consistency is more like a balm but is very flattering for evening out the skin tone and blurring texture)  Only Comes in light and medium and deep. You would select one that best matches your skin. Maybe medium if you are more light-medium in complexion...the light is very fair. 

Dr. Jart+ Premium BB Beauty Balm SPF 40 

Drunk Elephant
Umbra Tinte™ Physical Daily Defense SPF 30

A tinted physical sunscreen that delivers powerful broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and aids in the prevention of free-radical and oxidative damage. 

Highlighted Ingredients:
- Sunflower Shoot Extract: A powerful ingredient that helps neutralize free radicals and exhibits strong antiglycation properties.
- Astaxanthin-Rich Algae Extract: A carotenoid with potent antioxidant properties that defends against oxidative damage.
- Raspberry Seed Oil: Offers antioxidant protection from damaging environmental aggressors.

Drunk Elephant Umbra Tinte™ Physical Daily Defense Face Sunscreen SPF 30 

(This one is similar to what you were using as well but very little tint) Extremely natural.

Hopefully these will give you a great starting point!

Happy Shopping!

Hi! I have a very uneven skin tone and my face always looks dull and dry. I do not have a skincare routine but currently I am using a foaming cleanser from ponds, Neutrogena hydro boost moisturizer and a Neutrogena sunscreen- spf 110 ( always leaves a very bad white cast on my brown indian skin). I want to fix this. Please suggest me some good products that can help me with dullness and hyperpigmentation. 

@Aaliya96  

Hi! How are you! Thank you so much for reaching out to the thread) The best thing to have with a skin routine is consistency. below are some recommendations of some products to help you with your skin concerns.

• Idie Lee Brughtening Cleanser is Clean and vegan and will help to brighten, exfoliate and even the skin. Make sure you use this 2x a day am and pm:)

Indie Lee Brightening Cleanser 12.6 oz/ 375 mL

• This toner has vitamin C and will work to help brighten any 

Dr. Zenovia Skincare Vitamin C Brightening Toner 4 oz/ 120 mLL

*Use this am and pm

-Abscorbic Acid: Supports natural collagen production while visibly brightening and evening skin tone. 
- REG-ulate 360 Complex™: Restores a healthy appearance to hormonally imbalanced skin with a blend of medical-grade actives including resveratrol, vitamin E, green tea, bakuchiol, and genistein (a plant-derived phytoestrogen).
- Micro-Nutrient Sea Salt: Visibly enhances skin tone and neutralizes pore-clogging impurities. 

#SEPHORA COLLECTION Ultra Glow Serum: Glow + Strengthen Vitamin C Serum 30 ml/ 1.01 fl oz 

• Use this as your treatment for am and pm - It's super gentle and brightening.

for mositurizer that wont leave a white cast on your skin check out

Fenty Skin Hydra Vizor Invisible Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

- This formula is going tp target pores, dark spots and dryness

At night you may want to switch this out for a formula without SPF check out SEPHORA COLLECTION Firming Night Cream with Peptides 1.69 oz/ 50 mL 

For eyes start using and eye cream am/pm 

This makes under eyes look bright and refreshed and definitely makes a difference with any under eye makeup.

SEPHORA COLLECTION Brightening Eye Cream with Caffeine and Hyaluronic Acid 0.67 oz/ 20mL 

You can use all of the above products at once or just select the ones that work for you. I hope this was helpful for you! I wanted to select some gentle products that really help to brighten and even your skin without leaving any residue!

Thank you so much for such detailed reply❤️. I will definitely try out these products.

@Aaliya96  Anytime:) You are so welcome! I hope these work well for you!!💟

I’ve struggled with uneven skin tone since I was a teenager and finally found something that works. I’ve been using a serum with Tranexamic acid in it for two months now and I have never been happier with my complexion. Everything is nice and even, and not just noticed to me - family has commented on it! I would suggest finding a serum with as much as 5% Tranexamic acid in it and seeing if that helps.

Also - since you mentioned the white cast with sunscreen, consider switching to Supergoop sunscreen instead. It’s clear and really silky on your skin. I love using it in the morning before my make up since it’s almost like a primer in the way it preps my skin. 

07D8E380-A696-4E59-8E56-0ECC992DB772.jpeg

Hi i was wondering if someone could help me find the perfect lip liner shade to match my lips thank you! 

Hi @Gthjhffhjb  

I would definitely take a look at MAKE UP FOR EVER Artist Color Pencil: Eye, Lip & Brow Pencil 508 Total Taupe  & 506 Endless Cacao They are perfection. I actually adore this formula because its long lasting and you can use it for multiple purposes.

Hi!

I need help finding a foundation, BB cream or CC cream (I confess I don't always know the difference.) Despite my user name, I actually am... young in outlook only! I LOVED the now discontinued Clinique acne solution BB cream - it had a pale shade that wasn't gray or yellow, it had SPF 40, it wasn't perfumed, and it wasn't greasy so it stayed on all day. 

I can't believe they discontinued it!! (Sephora -- please come to the rescue and make a knock-off!!)

Is there a similar product (or layering of sunscreen plus something) that might approximate it? I am finding the newer Clinique products - even those labeled "cool" - to be quite yellow. When I layer creamy sunscreens with foundation, things "slip." I need something fair with pink undertones, great coverage, matte-ish, clean (acne and pore friendly), with high SPF.

Please help!  

B593E21A-B037-4F61-9AEE-AF6FB05070B0.jpeg

Hi, there’s a great spf toner product by Paula Choice called “Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30”. I believe you will like it. There’s no yellow or other shades in it, at it’s working as perfect “foundation” for me as well as the spf. (It’s also on sale on Paula choice website, not on sale at Sephora temporarily).

HI @notoldyet 

Thank you so much for reaching out on this thread!! I understand the pain of losing a great formual but i think you will love this formula  Supergoop! CC Screen 100% Mineral CC Cream SPF 50 PA++++ 110C  or 100C- This is a natural skin finish and more on the matte side vs luminious. You still will want to prep your skin, but no primer is really needed unless you are very oily- If that is the case check out ONE/SIZE by Patrick Starrr Secure the Blur Makeup Magnet Primer 1.18 oz/ 35 mL  Pat on to tzone after skin prep, then applu cc cream with fingertips or a sponge.

Hope this was helpful for you!

How can I make sure my brow pencil wont wear off or rub off? I go to work with full eyebrows, leave with partials, help.

@Kellykelis 

Hey there! This is my favorite trick and I only recently started doing this myself! What you need is a really good setting powder. Try the SEPHORA COLLECTION Translucent Loose Setting Powder 0.61 oz/ 17.29 g  and SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Highlight Brush #98 . FIrst apply your brows as you usually would. Then load up your brush with a light amount of powder and pat and stipple product into brows. Think of it as "brow baking!"

testing