cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Ask a Beauty Expert

Ask a Beauty ExpertAsk a Beauty Expert

If you know your way around the Beauty Insider Community, chances are you’ve seen a few of our Sephora Pro Artists sharing their looks on the Gallery and dropping their beauty routines in some of our favorite challenge threads.  @ElizaPRO@ShawnPRO, and @ProAmy are Makeup Artists with years of industry experience with a bounty of product knowledge to share. These beauty geniuses are subject matter experts and they give life-changing advice on how to build your basket and put your haul to good use!

We've created this thread to allow you all to better connect with our Sephora Pro Artists here in the BIC! This is a place for you to ask them ANYTHING beauty-related. Don't forget to bookmark this thread by clicking the bookmark icon at the top right of this thread. It will come in handy for those moments you wish you had a beauty expert on speed dial for questions like "is it a good idea to layer these skincare products?" or "what's the best brush for my foundation routine?"

Want to ask a question? Click the 'Reply' button below!

Re: Ask a Beauty Expert

Thank you for the LOVEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

I’m struggling to find a foundation that matches my shade. My face itself is fair. A lot of people call me pale but my neck is yellow. The foundations I have tried are either too pale and I look like a ghost or too brownish. Not sure what I should be looking for at this point.

I would start by avoiding foundation altogether and mixing concealers instead.

Spot conceal different shades of concealers to coordinate with the appropriate parts of your face.  CoverFX is great for this because their liquid and cream concealers are just the perfect textures for blending.  They have just enough pigment and a natural yet luminous finish (not too matte, but not too greasy), so you can purchase different shades plus a color corrector and have a truly customized, polished, true to your skin look. People do not believe I am wearing makeup when I wear CFX concealers and set with CFX powder.

CoverFX is my go-to when I tan at the very top of my five-head in the Summer and foundation just doesn’t cut it when my entire head and neck are not the same color.  You get a truly customized, cohesive look when you spot conceal.

swatch a few foundation shades from the store on your jawline, walk around and wait around 10 minutes and go outside in the sun and see which shade best matches your neck 🙂

Hello Akinas!

The best match in a foundation is one that looks great on all areas of your face and neck (and sometimes your chest if you are exposing that skin). I suggest striping the foundation in these ares: forehead, jawline onto the neck and the cheek. Let the stripes sit for 30-60 seconds and then blend out the edges. The shade that disappears into your skin, while still offering the coverage you desire, is the one you want. Add your skin care (definitely a moisturizer and possibly primer if you use it) before you stripe the foundation. This way you'll see how it will really look on your skin. Foundations read and wear VERY differently with and/or without proper skin prep. Trust me. haha!

When looking for a foundation, the best way to match is to go into a Sephora store and ask to be matched by our Mobile Color IQ device. This technology will capture three scans (images) of your skin, analyze your skin tone and then recommend matches in foundations that are a starting point to help narrow down your choices.The reason I bring up trying it on your skin is because your skin type will determine how the foundation pigments read on your skin. PRO Tip: clean your skin first before you scan. This will give you a more accurate reading. 

I hope this was helpful!

~Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely try what you suggested.

I am really struggling to find a concealer that doesn’t crease under my eyes! I have most recently tried the Kosas revealer concealer and it creases like crazy on me! I’ve tried no setting powder, I’ve tried baking, I’ve tried light setting powder and nothing makes a difference! I’ve tried a lot of concealer and I’ve tried next to none. I’ve also tried eye cream and no eye cream and it still creases every time. I’m doing my own makeup for my wedding this June and I’m worried that I won’t be able to find a solution to this problem! Can somebody help me out? 

A concealer that helped overcome this kinda issue is #fentybeauty by Rihanna liquid concealer 

Hello! I used to have the same problem as you and I found that the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer does wonders for my under eyes! It doesn’t crease and also covers all my dark circles and acne. It’s a light to medium coverage so it is definitely natural looking and buildable. I recommend applying it with a beauty blender and instantly baking your under eyes with translucent powder to make it last longer for your wedding. Hope this helps 🙂 

I tried different ones, but Jouer concealers are the best ones! love their creamy textures the most.

It perfectly conceals dark under-eye circles and imperfections that I have from time to time ❤️

Jouer Cosmetics Essential High Coverage Liquid Concealer 

Jouer Cosmetics Essential High Coverage Concealer Pen 

Hi!

What helps me is to press upward as I am applying my concealer and to keep pressing as the product warms up on my skin. I also recommend trying to use an eye shadow primer under it. Just a small amount would help. Them set it lightly with a powder and a sponge.

I usually do this techniques for brides and it works great!

Hope this helps!

~Amy
Sephora PRO Artist

@ProAmy Thanks for the tips! Do you use a brush, sponge or your fingers when you apply/push the product in an upward motion? Also, is there a eye shadow primer that you recommend or prefer? 

Have you tried rare beauty concealer Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez Liquid Touch Brightening Concealer?  That one doesn’t crease on me. What I do is apply it with a damp sponge and immediately put powder right over it while it’s still ceaseless. Don’t look down to let the area crease! The fenty loose setting powder is amazing and does not look cakey! Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt'r Instant Retouch Setting Powder Hope this helps ! Congrats on your upcoming wedding and I hope the problem is solved by then �

Looking for a waterproof pencil eyeliner. I was using Marc Jacobs which is amazing but they discontinued it. Just tired Pat McGrath and it’s terrible - didn’t even stay on my waterline for 20 seconds. Please recommend me a pencil eyeliner that will stay on my waterline. 

Hi @meg925 ,

Thank you for your post!

Here are my top recommendations for your consideration. These pencils are what I use on my clients for major events that require staying power and the most intense color payoff for photo purposes:

SEPHORA COLLECTION Waterproof 12HR Retractable Eyeliner Pencil 

MAKEUP BY MARIO Master Pigment Pro™ Eyeliner Pencil 

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil Perversion 

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO Artist

I am struggling to find a foundation that works for me. They all go on well then dry and look like the attached photos:IMG_4169.jpgIMG_4170.jpg It looks as if I have dry skin, which I definitely do not. I applied the foundation in the picture (Ilia True Skin Medium Coverage Serum Foundation with Niacinamide - Mallorca SF1.5) with my fingertips like I do when I put on moisturizer/serums/etc. So could that be the problem? I really don't use brushes or blender because they too have left the same effect on my skin as in the picture. My skincare routine is (1) The Ordinary Squalene Cleanser (2) The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% (3) Supergoop Unseen Suncreen SPF 40 (4) The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA (5) The Ordinary High-Adherence Silicone Primer. Also thinking the primer could be the issue. Please advise 🙂

It appears that the powder is settling onto the dry patches on the surface of your skin. I had the same problem with dryness even with some heavier creams recently that I attributed to aging. When I was getting a Silk peel the technician said that niacinamide is fantastic ingredient but it can have a drying affect. I realized almost everything I use has it in it. I scaled back and eased into using the various products together. It made a huge difference. My skin tends to be combination but is getting dryer with age. I find that primer is very tacky so it’s not very user friendly. Id recommend Charlotte Tilbury Mini Airbrush Flawless Setting Spray 1.1 oz/ 34 ml I use it to set my make up after I’m done and I have sweat HEAVILY in the sun and my makeup did not budge. I love Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Eaze Drop Blurring Skin Tint. It reminds me of full coverage foundation from the 90’s. It’s really sheer but buildable. I like to warm it on my fingertips and apply. The heat helps smooth it over better. I’d stick to liquid or cream foundation as powder formulas will settle in dry spots. If I use a brush I use Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Face & Body Kabuki Brush 160 brush. You can also use a damp sponge, I wet mine and squeeze it in a towel and just dab to blend any areas left over. Hope you find relief! 

I had this exact same problem and I’ll be honest, exfoliation changed my life. I use the Ordinary’s hylaraunic  acid, Niacinamide, glycolic acid and their caffeine eye serum. This all worked wonderful but when I added a chemical exfoliant Paula’s Choice Exfoliant serum) my entire texture of my face changed within a WEEK. It just sloughs all the dead skin away, helps with the appearance of your pores, and gives a healthy glow. 

girlll, I wish someone had told me earlier to research which exfoliants work best for my skin! Turns out lactic acid and glycolic acid from The Ordinary work wonderful for me- but the Paulas Choice… holy grail. just be careful about spacing out these products in your routine when/if you use them! 

hope this helps : )

I need to know what mascara you’re wearing on your bottom lashes ASAP because wow 

Hi @janiedee ,

Thank you for your question and providing photos and your routine! You actually have great products!

Based on the photos, you may have unseen textures that need to be addressed using exfoliators.

First, I recommend incorporating SEPHORA COLLECTION Glow Peel Pads 60 Pads . This is a kit staple for me especially not knowing my client's skin prior to makeup application. It helps to rid of unseen textures and boost radiance to the skin. You can use this every day after cleansing prior to your skincare routine. I also recommend using it at night. I also recommend incorporating  OLEHENRIKSEN 10% AHA Lemonade Smoothing Scrub​ 3.0 oz/ 90g in your routine to deeply exfoliate. You can use this 2 to 3 times a week.

Second, I recommend changing the order of your skincare towards the end:

(1) The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser

(2) The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

(3) The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA

(4) Supergoop! Unseen Suncreen SPF 40

Notice that we don't have the primer included on here - Sunscreen should always be the last step of your skincare routine - great thing is that Supergoop! also doubles as a primer!

You can experiment with this routine first and see if it works for you.

Lastly, I recommend using a beauty sponge in patting motion, this will help prevent the textures from lifting.

If you need an in depth exploration of your routine and application, you can book a Virtual PRO Beauty Consultation with us where we can assist you on how to best use the products you own and we can even shop together for what other products you may need.

Link: https://www.sephora.com/happening/services/OLR-CD__virtualmakeupservice_60min?storeId=2502&startDate=2022-02-23T11:00:00Z&name=Virtual%20PRO%20Beauty%20Consultation%20(60%20Minutes)&city=&state=CA

I hope this helps!

Best,

Shawn

Sephora PRO Artist

Hi Shawn! Thank you so much for your recommendations. I have a question about the order of my skincare routine though. I realize that Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen is a chemical sunscreen as opposed to a mineral sunscreen. Don't I need to apply the chemical sunscreen before the moisturizer since the chemical sunscreen needs to be absorbed by the skin in order to protect itself? When looking at the ingredients in my The Ordinary moisturizer, it contains fatty acids and triglycerides which would not allow the sunscreen to be absorbed and therefore not work. 

testing